Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

limited slip additive

Truckman

Reaction score
What limited slip additive is everyone using and how much are you adding with a rear axle change. I have 1 4 ounce bottle of Mopar additive left over from years ago. It says to use 2 to 5 % by weight.
Are all brands of additive the same ? Can additive bought from different sources be mixed? Should I use the old unopened bottle I have now? It is at least 10 years old.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
I just buy a synthetic gear oil with it already in additive package. Haven't done lsd specific bottle since 1998.

GreenYota

Reaction score
I don't believe we need need limited slip additive as we are helical gear type LSD's, not clutch type. I am going by what I was told for my 2014, so unless something changed recently, this should still apply.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don't believe we need need limited slip additive as we are helical gear type LSD's, not clutch type. I am going by what I was told for my 2014, so unless something changed recently, this should still apply.
Only the power wagons are helical LSD since 19… a lot has changed since 14 so please refrain from sharing info you had from an 8 year old truck on these 19+ trucks as they are not the same

Last edited:

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Passing out incorrect info can cause damage.
If you dont know the answer for certain, dont guess.
He was just trying to be helpful with the correct info and asking you to be certain next time before posting.
No need to turn into a "Karen" on him.

Lettikka

Reaction score
Truckman, I don't think that you got a good answer to your question but I can tell you that you will not hear any difference in the rear with or without the additive. If the rear needs the additive it will behave properly until the clutches are burnt out then the limited slip will not work. I am fairly sure this is accurate for any clutched LSD but my experience with this was on a GMC.

Lary0071

Reaction score
You have to look hard to find axle grease that does not have the LSD friction modifier blended in it. I had to order some unobtanium non synthetic fluid to use in my Eaton TruTrack axle in my jeep since I couldn't anything at local parts stores that was made without it. And in a Eaton TT, you get very crappy performance from any typical fluids that come blended like that, getting the right fluid made an amazing change to where it was near locker performance. The unicorn fluid with no additive I found was called Eneos and was a VW spec fluid for use in their transmissions.

Truckman

Reaction score
It may have additive in it, just doesn't say so on bottle. I did add a bottle of Mopar additive in it so hopefully it will be good. I think it was my '01 (not sure it could have been the '08) that after driving for about 8 hours towing pretty heavy that it started chattering in a tight slow speed turn. I added a bottle to it and never had anymore problems.

Users who are viewing this thread