Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Likely cp4 failure at 100,900 miles...

TheLoveMuss

Reaction score
I may be jumping the gun as I am waiting in a hotel for Wyoming Diesel Service in Rawlins WY to get back to me with a diagnoses but I am pretty certain the cp4 failed on me leaving me stranded Sunday 8/8/21 1,000 miles from home. Looking for advice and/or help.

I had 100k mile warranty but of course I am at 100,900 miles. Will the dealership still honor the warranty due to all the problems people have been having with these trash cp4s or am I stuck paying out of pocket? If the dealership will warranty the work will they install the cp3? If I am likely going to have to pay out of pocket where should I look for parts? I will obviously need a new fuel pump if it failed but I am assuming I will need the high pressure fuel rail and new injectors as well. Anything else needed? The real kicker is I was going to do the sns cp3 conversion in the next week or two...

What happened is I started the truck after a 10 hr break and it was making loud grinding rattling noises so I popped the hood and put my hand on the fuel pump. It was rattling and vibrating really bad but I attempted to head out and hit the interstate hoping it was nothing. 30 ft on the on ramp to I80 the truck died. I started it without any issues other than the loud noises and reversed to go back to where we had parked for the night and when I hit the accelerator it died again. It started again with no issues other than the loud noises and I let it idle in reverse to park it on a BLM road.

I called the Chrysler vehicle protection line for a tow and sat around for 8 hrs waiting on a tow because they didn't want to pay the rate for the 28' bumper pull camper trailer I am delivering to Idaho Falls ID. So now I am just playing the waiting game...

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions, or help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Usually when the CP4 goes there is no restart. Find @RamCares and ask about the warranty. Only speculation can follow by asking people here.

Good luck.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sounds like a plugged fuel filter to me honestly

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Maybe try draining the water separators. No way a blown CP4 manages to restart 3 times after shooting glitter to all the injectors. If it is just water or plugged filters, you better CP3 swap that thing STAT because if the CP4 didn't blow, it sure as hell will now.

Users who are viewing this thread