Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifter Failure

akamac

Reaction score
2020 Laramie 3500 SRW
I developed a "thunk" noise 140 miles into my new CP-3 recall. I towed it to Dealer on July 19 and waited for help.
Fast forward two months and here it sits. Photos taken today, notice cam wear. 22000 miles, ~8k towing.
Tech told me cam wear is is normal with roller lifters, I did not know this.
I was hoping the HPFP pressure regulator was the problem; no such luck.
I do have a loaner 1500 so it's not all bad but I retired this month and need to exit the State to greener pastures. I would have left Ca. for Fort Myers on the 14th of this month. Lucky me.

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 95
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 96
  • cam.jpg
    cam.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 97

jetrinka

Reaction score
Any closeup pictures of the cam? I also disagree that it is "normal" for rollers to create wear - if anything it should be a less wearing system as nothing is dragging across the lifter like a flat tappet would.

Either way as long as oiling was in good condition and a roller didn't have bad needles in it there shouldn't be surface wear to either the cam or lifter.

If a lifter failed hydraulically it would cause a tap or thunk.

steve49

Reaction score
What kind of oil was used in it, I've read and heard 15-40 is bad for the lifters in these 2019 and newer trucks?

akamac

Reaction score
Right click on image, save as, then zoom with the program that opens.
The "tracks" where the lifters roll are the tell-tell for odd wear patterns. Cylinder 1 & 2 are the ones that stand out.
I'm heading to Wa. on Friday to help my Son replace his VP44 and crank-seal on my old 2001 2500. His truck will soon look like mine sans nice shop to work in.

akamac

Reaction score
What kind of oil was used in it, I've read and heard 15-40 is bad for the lifters in these 2019 and newer trucks?
5W40 t-6 per dealer recommendation. Snow trip to Sierras before change at 14000.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
cam wear is absolutely not normal. ...and that cam is wiped. lifter(s) failed due to *insert justification here*.

Users who are viewing this thread