Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifter can replacement vs new engine

tony4x4tx

Reaction score
16’ 6.4 285k and lost a lifter. Had dealership PUP 0w-40 it’s whole life except like 2 changes I needed to do myself because of work. I haven’t found a reputable shop I felt comfortable doing the work. I can get a create engine from Mopar for 6k, plus 3k dealer install. Comes with warranty if I get the dealership to install. My question is would you replace lifters and cam or go with the crate motor? I just bought a new 1500 as my daily driver so this truck will be for towing heavy, hunting, general real truck stuff. My 1500 will be mainly a pavement princess. If you think cam/lifters heads redone, please recommend a shop. I don’t mind traveling for quality work on a truck I will have for the next 5+ years.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
16’ 6.4 285k and lost a lifter. Had dealership PUP 0w-40 it’s whole life except like 2 changes I needed to do myself because of work. I haven’t found a reputable shop I felt comfortable doing the work. I can get a create engine from Mopar for 6k, plus 3k dealer install. Comes with warranty if I get the dealership to install. My question is would you replace lifters and cam or go with the crate motor? I just bought a new 1500 as my daily driver so this truck will be for towing heavy, hunting, general real truck stuff. My 1500 will be mainly a pavement princess. If you think cam/lifters heads redone, please recommend a shop. I don’t mind traveling for quality work on a truck I will have for the next 5+ years.
I would put an upgraded cam and lifters any day before a new engine

jetrinka

Reaction score
sell it as-is
The best idea yet. Lets not forget the rest of the truck has 285k. I'd hate to put thousands into it only to have the trans grenade shortly after.

The condition of the rest of the truck really dictates this decision and even if in great shape I'd be apprehensive (unless you can do all the work yourself)

tony4x4tx

Reaction score
Appreciate all the feedback gents, looks like crate motor (oil pump change) will be the move for me since I plan on keeping the truck. I just bought a new 1500 so selling the 2500 isn't an option for me. Trans has had a pretty easy life with 4.56s and 30-40k filter + drain and fills so not too worried about it. Rest of the truck is solid.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Why a crate motor over a local rebuild?

Local rebuild should be as good or higher quality, and you can upgrade some internals.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Why a crate motor over a local rebuild?

Local rebuild should be as good or higher quality, and you can upgrade some internals.
thought there's nothing better than oem? why do the internals or any externals need upgraded?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
thought there's nothing better than oem? why do the internals or any externals need upgraded?

Some parts are better OEM and some aren’t.

If you want a stock motor build a stock motor, but if you’re rebuilding a motor may as well see what’s available that’s better.

For example I used mostly stock stuff on my 05 5.9, but went with different Cummins pistons, upgraded injectors, upgraded cam, valve springs, pushrods, turbo, and exhaust manifold.

Users who are viewing this thread