Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Level kit?

JRM222500

Reaction score
Just bought 2022 power wagon. Wanting to replace factory bead lock wheels & tires w 18”x9.5” & 35” x 12.5” AT’s. Factory suspension seems fine. Reading that 2.5” level needed to prevent rubbing. Getting mixed opinions. Trucks like new. 2500 miles and was traded in after 3 mths. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
I haven't done the mod myself yet, but my understanding is that you can run 35s on a powerwagon with no changes. 37s are where you get into rubbing. The powerwagon sits 2in higher than a standard 2500, so it may be you are seeing recommendations for a Big Horn or Laramie. Plenty have switched to 35s on here. I'm sure someone else will chime in shortly.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Been running 35s on the factory beadlock rims for 50K miles on my '21 PW. No rubbing issues at all, even when she's been fully flexed out.

Hibiki54

Reaction score
Just bought 2022 power wagon. Wanting to replace factory bead lock wheels & tires w 18”x9.5” & 35” x 12.5” AT’s. Factory suspension seems fine. Reading that 2.5” level needed to prevent rubbing. Getting mixed opinions. Trucks like new. 2500 miles and was traded in after 3 mths. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
You don't need a level kit. Power Wagon will fit 35s with zero rubbing. If you are going to replace the factory wheels, then get a wheel with a 5-3/4" backspacing. This will set you up in the future if you want to go up to 37s.

JRM222500

Reaction score
You don't need a level kit. Power Wagon will fit 35s with zero rubbing. If you are going to replace the factory wheels, then get a wheel with a 5-3/4" backspacing. This will set you up in the future if you want to go up to 37s.
So if I put 37’s on the factory 17” beadlocks, would the 5-3/4” backspacers take care of any rubbing issues or would I also need a lift/leveling? Any issues w drive shaft angles running 37’s?

MtnRider

Reaction score
So if I put 37’s on the factory 17” beadlocks, would the 5-3/4” backspacers take care of any rubbing issues or would I also need a lift/leveling? Any issues w drive shaft angles running 37’s?

Drive shaft angle doesn't change unless you lift the truck (suspension lift), tires alone won't affect that.

JRM222500

Reaction score
Drive shaft angle doesn't change unless you lift the truck (suspension lift), tires alone won't affect that.
So, will the 37’s work on the 17” wheels w out a lift/ leveling and would I need backspacing? Sorry for so many ??? this is all new to me.
Thanks

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
From what others have said who have done it, you just need some minor trimming. But it all depends on which tires you use as they all seem to be a little different in size.

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
I'd read through https://www.thurenfabrication.com/pages/2014-2022-power-wagon-tire-and-wheel-fitment -

35x12.5's shouldn't rub with the factory beadlock.

37x12.5's with the stock 17's with factory beadlock, most tires will rub on radius arm, some are just small enough they won't rub. 37's will also rub while flexing on the bottom of the wheel well , several was to do the norcal tuck, one shop creates a trim kit for it https://www.tyvole.co/services/trim-kit

37's with backspacing will remove the rub on the radius arm ... I can't remember if i was rubbing without the norcal tuck. I ended up with Carlie lift and no issues clearing everything now.

JRM222500

Reaction score
I'd read through https://www.thurenfabrication.com/pages/2014-2022-power-wagon-tire-and-wheel-fitment -

35x12.5's shouldn't rub with the factory beadlock.

37x12.5's with the stock 17's with factory beadlock, most tires will rub on radius arm, some are just small enough they won't rub. 37's will also rub while flexing on the bottom of the wheel well , several was to do the norcal tuck, one shop creates a trim kit for it https://www.tyvole.co/services/trim-kit

37's with backspacing will remove the rub on the radius arm ... I can't remember if i was rubbing without the norcal tuck. I ended up with Carlie lift and no issues clearing everything now.
Thanks for the info. Do you have pics of your rig and exactly what total set up you’re running?
Thanks

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Do you have pics of your rig and exactly what total set up you’re running?
Thanks

Latest pics.

Carlie Backcountry
37x12.5 Ridge Grabbler
Method 704HD ( 17x9 +18mm)

sduncan

Reaction score
35s are no problem on the factory wheels. 37s will rub slightly but it can be fixed with some trimming.
For my 2022 PW, I chose to run the Thuren 1.5 inch leveling kit with the front track bar and Fox 2.0 shocks. For tires and wheels I have 17x8.5 with +18 offset Raceline Monster bead locks and 37x12 .50x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I did some very minor trimming which I expected to do. Ride and handling are outstanding and I have no complaints.

Attachments

• IMG_9682.jpeg
    IMG_9682.jpeg
    636.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9684.jpeg
    IMG_9684.jpeg
    653.2 KB · Views: 63

JRM222500

Reaction score
35s are no problem on the factory wheels. 37s will rub slightly but it can be fixed with some trimming.
For my 2022 PW, I chose to run the Thuren 1.5 inch leveling kit with the front track bar and Fox 2.0 shocks. For tires and wheels I have 17x8.5 with +18 offset Raceline Monster bead locks and 37x12 .50x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I did some very minor trimming which I expected to do. Ride and handling are outstanding and I have no complaints.
Nice rig! Getting tons of info from this forum and getting an education as well. I’m not a mechanic. My local mechanic is ok. Not very knowledgeable about off road suspensions. I’m looking for a set up that will run as close to stock on the highway with decent off road ability if I need it. Not looking to rock crawl or anything hard core. I like the look of 37’s better than 35’s and not a fan of the factory 33’s at all. There isn’t a dedicated off road shop around me so I need specifics on everything. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I live southern NJ if anyone knows a reputable off road shop. Thanks

Buckeye6.4

Reaction score
Thuren as posted by others. I get compliments all the time by others about how well my truck rides on the Thuren 1.5" springs with fox 2.0's. leveling kit. Running factory wheels with 35x12.5 tires. I did add the thuren track bar which helped alot with the way the truck handles. Also added a 1" rear spacer above my coils to compensate for any weight that was put into the bed. You will really notice a difference hitting bumps and potholes when travelling at higher speeds rather than the slower speeds.

JRM222500

Reaction score

Latest pics.

Carlie Backcountry
37x12.5 Ridge Grabbler
Method 704HD ( 17x9 +18mm)
Did you need to add back spacers and if so, how much?

JRM222500

Reaction score
Did you have to add backspacers?

MtnRider

Reaction score
Did you have to add backspacers?

What are "backspacers"? Do you mean wheel spacers? If you have the proper offset wheels you don't need them, nor would I ever recommend using wheel spacers if that is what you are referring to?

JRM222500

Reaction score
What are "backspacers"? Do you mean wheel spacers? If you have the proper offset wheels you don't need them, nor would I ever recommend using wheel spacers if that is what you are referring to?
Yes I meant wheel spacers. I ordered wheels and tires from custom offset and the rep told me from his experience I would need approx 2” Wheel spacers to prevent contact w the control arm. The wheels I ordered have +25 offset. 17”x8.5” method wheels w 37” x 12.5” Nitto Grapplers. Thuren 1/2” front leveling kit w 2.0 fox shocks, coils & track bar. Rear Thuren coils, 2.0 fox shocks & track bar

Hibiki54

Reaction score
Yes I meant wheel spacers. I ordered wheels and tires from custom offset and the rep told me from his experience I would need approx 2” Wheel spacers to prevent contact w the control arm. The wheels I ordered have +25 offset. 17”x8.5” method wheels w 37” x 12.5” Nitto Grapplers. Thuren 1/2” front leveling kit w 2.0 fox shocks, coils & track bar. Rear Thuren coils, 2.0 fox shocks & track bar
CJC Offroad here in Long Beach, Ca is very experienced with late model Ram HDs and all other fullsized trucks. Here is a video for 37 fitment.

With what you ordered from Thuren, all you are really getting is a 1/2" leveling kit. It is technically a 2.5" kit for regular Ram 2500 trucks because the Power Wagon in stock form is a factory 2" lift. In the video, you should be more concerned as to what the backspacing is for the wheel. For example, the Method 315 is a 17x8.5 with a +25 offset which is a 5.80" of backspacing. No matter what, you will need to do some trimming and CJC Offroad has a video about that. I highly suggest reviewing the wheels you ordered and see what backspacing they are. It should be around 5.75".

Keep in mind that not all tire brands are the same and not all tires types will fit the same. For example, I have 37x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grappler MTs on stock lift. I rub when I flex and sometimes I rub when fully locked either way in steering. If I had Nitto Ridge Grapplers or Recon Grapplers, or BFGs or Toyo MTs, I wouldn't rub unless fully flexed out.

JRM222500

Reaction score
CJC Offroad here in Long Beach, Ca is very experienced with late model Ram HDs and all other fullsized trucks. Here is a video for 37 fitment.

With what you ordered from Thuren, all you are really getting is a 1/2" leveling kit. It is technically a 2.5" kit for regular Ram 2500 trucks because the Power Wagon in stock form is a factory 2" lift. In the video, you should be more concerned as to what the backspacing is for the wheel. For example, the Method 315 is a 17x8.5 with a +25 offset which is a 5.80" of backspacing. No matter what, you will need to do some trimming and CJC Offroad has a video about that. I highly suggest reviewing the wheels you ordered and see what backspacing they are. It should be around 5.75".

Keep in mind that not all tire brands are the same and not all tires types will fit the same. For example, I have 37x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grappler MTs on stock lift. I rub when I flex and sometimes I rub when fully locked either way in steering. If I had Nitto Ridge Grapplers or Recon Grapplers, or BFGs or Toyo MTs, I wouldn't rub unless fully flexed out.
Thanks for your insight and the CJC video. I had spoken to CJC when I first started researching my build. I’ll post results when build is complete

Users who are viewing this thread