Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Less than thrilled with my 2021 Laramie 2500

SBelt

Reaction score
First, let me say I'm an Engineering VP whose been doing product development for over 30 years so I'll admit I'm very detail oriented and have very high expectations when i buy something expensive. I know what it takes to engineer a quality product that delivers on customer expectations, and I also know when a product falls short. Also, I'm not a die hard fan of any brand, I will buy what I think is best and/or a good deal for what you're getting. I've owned Chevy, Ford, and Dodge trucks. This is not my first Dodge, I bought a new SRT10 Quad cab when they first came out. I bought the 2021 Ram 2500 in January after reading about the 3-peat win of TOTY by the Ram in Car and Driver, and because I needed a better tow vehicle than my F150.

That said, I'm not yet feeling like this truck lives up to my expectations. I'd like to share some take aways I've had, and like to hear other's feedback.

1. Fuel economy - I thought diesel engines were supposed to get better mileage than gas counterparts. I traded in a 2016 F150 Limited with the Ecoboost V6. That truck got around 13 mpg around town (nowhere near what ford claims btw), and after 1100 miles on the 2500, I'm seeing about 13 mpg. I do not drive this truck hard, or accelerate hard. I was expecting better than the ford. Also, while I've not done any long trips yet, when I'm cruising on the toll road at 75, I'm seeing about 17 to 18 mpg on the instantaneous mpg display. That's telling me I'm not going to see the 25 mpg highway I've heard about.

2. Acceleration - I know this truck is much heavier than the F150 but was expecting decent acceleration from the Ram. Unfortunately, the 2500 has really disappointing acceleration for all the torque it's supposed to have. Haven't timed it yet but my seat of the pants guess is at least 8 to 9 secs 0 to 60 or more. Before, you guys flame me, i didn't buy this truck for its acceleration, but this is disappointing coming from the ecoboost. You've really got to time your merging and passing with this thing. Whereas the F150 would light up the tires from a dead stop and even bark the tires if I stomped it at 20 mph.

3. Interior - This is a bright spot, mostly, for the Ram. The interior design and build quality is very good for the most part. Materials are nice and the interior looks really upscale for a pickup. Now for the disappointments. I'm 6'7", so very tall. I had no fit issues in the F150, headroom and legroom were great. Btw, both trucks have power sun roofs (which I hate but buying a truck off the lot always has these). I have limited headroom in the Ram and my hair rubs sometimes. Also, legroom between my right knee and the trailer brake control module on the lower part of the dash to the right of steering wheel is very limited. This truck is HUGE, how am I having fit issues?

4. Feature execution - There are a few features on this truck that are nice features, but poorly executed. The first is the Auto High Beams. Whoever wrote the user story (defined how it should work) for this feature must not drive at night. If you enable this feature in settings then you MUST keep your turn signal/high beam stalk pushed forward for auto high beams to work. However, when you use the turn signal to indicate a turn or lane change, it's very easy to pull the stalk back accidentally then your high beams turn off, and you won't notice it until the next time you're driving at night and realize your high beams aren't coming on. Also, there is no way to override the truck's decision about whether the brights should be on. To manually override and turn the brights on, you have to go into settings, navigate the menu, find the right setting, turn it off, then you can push the stalk forward and get them on, this isn't going to happen while your driving. Why does this matter? It matters since the truck's light sensors seem to be oversensitive to reflections from street signs and keep turning the brights off. There's also no hysteresis built in so the brights will go on and off often on certain stretches of road. The F150 did this right. Just turn the setting on and the brights come on and off as the truck determines, but if you push the stalk forward, you can override the truck and force the high beams to stay on. Another poorly design feature is the gauge/center stack backlight control. The dial isn't fully linear meaning you can't just rotate from dim to max brightness as you would expect. If you rotate it to the highest brightness, without clicking it into "max brightness", there is a big step in brightness between those two settings. Why does this matter? Well if you're driving in very overcast days or at twilight, and the truck turns its headlights on, the gauges will dim to the point they're very difficult to see. The only way to fix this is rotate the dial to the max position which it clicks into. The gauges are now readable but as soon as it gets fully dark, they're WAY too bright in the cab and are distracting. Another feature is how you select channels on the sound system. In GM's, you can set your favorites from any receiver (satellite, FM, or AM). Your favorites then present all these to you and you can select from what you like without needing to switch receiver modes. The system does that for you. On the RAM's 12" system, if you want to switch between an FM station and a Satellite channel (which I do often), you have to switch screens to the source screen, then select the mode you want, then switch back to the main screen to see your favorites, then select your favorite from that list, all while you're driving - not going to happen. Yes, there's a button on the back of the steering wheel, but you have to rotate through all the sources to get to the one you want. GM did this right.
I list these as examples of where Dodge had good ideas, but really don't spend time undertanding their cutomers like Ford and GM seem to have done. I could go on, but the point is made.

Ok, I'd like to hear other's thoughts about their experience with their new Ram 2500.

Last edited:

saltman

Reaction score
One word for ya, amen!! I’m the same type of guy with an engineering and formal automotive oem background and have VERY high expectations regardless of the brand. I’ve owned them all, most loyal to Dodge/Ram for one reason, Cummins. That being said my 21 is definitely a “covid era” build unfortunately and shows/feels like it. I can’t wait for the cab change coming up, I’ll be unloading this thing for another shot at hopefully a US built Cummins powered truck.

BTW, I’m glad I’m not the only one that hates the dial for the cluster, it’s a darn joke and could have been much better executed with buttons like the Fords or done within the center cluster menu or main infotainment display with a 1-10 scale

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
First if you wanted acceleration then you should have gone with the 6.4 Hemi. The diesel is not a hot rod. It's meant for torque. Interesting how most guys that went with the diesel did not really need the diesel. But as they say, its your money. As far as cab size, you are not the only person who has had an issue. Unfortunately the HD's are not true 5 gen, more like 4.5. They stuck the 5 gen dash and consul from the 1500 into the 4 gen HD cab. Kind of a stop gap measure. Good point regarding the auto high beams. We have this same feature on our Pacifica and have had situations that we needed the brights to be on but due to the angle of the moon and its reflected light the brights would not come on. And there is no override. Regarding the sun roof, I always wonder why people settle for what's on a dealer lot. For as much as these trucks cost, why not order and get exactly what you want? The wait is worth it. (I know sometimes there are reasons that a person can not wait).

We have had our 2500 for about a year now and its everything I expected. The only disappointment was the crappy Firestone tires that come on the truck. Again, for the amount of money we pay for these trucks you would think they could put on a decent set of tires (went with a set of Continental Terrain Contact AT's).

LossPrev

Reaction score
I disagree with several of your points.
1. Whoever told you 25mpg was lying to you. I've never once heard that number used anywhere. I have personally gotten 22mpg on flat trips in the midwest but usually hover around 20mpg on the highway. Around town 14ish. The truck weighs 8000lbs man! It isn't going to kill a 3.5L truck that weighs 3000lbs less.

2. The truck has 850lbs-ft but "only" 370hp, and that's what matters. I have never had an issue passing or merging but it is definitely going to get killed in speed by an ecoboost. My 5.7L 1500 with eTorque and 3.92 gears will destroy my 2500 in speed. Again, 8000lbs of metal is never going to be quick. A powerstroke is the fastest diesel engine if you wanted speed.

3. Pretty much everything you said can be chalked up to a cab that was designed over 10 years ago. The bonus is we still get the Megacab option. Everything will pretty much be solved when the "true" 5th gen HDs come out. The 5th gen cab is much better in almost every way.

4. Wont disagree about some of the minor gripes with the truck, I have plenty of my own like the poor implementation of the 12" screen. It's size is poorly used and not taken advantage of because they ghetto rigged the OS from the 8.4in screen. I do disagree about Ram not listening compared to Ford and GM. I would argue they listen just as much at the very least, probably even more so. You don't grow market share as fast as Ram had by not listening

Badunit

Reaction score
I hear ya, too. We have some common complaints.

Diesels don't make the great mpg they used to. Partly it is because they are heavier from all the extra features and doodads. Partly it is because of the race to be "best in class" in hp and torque. Partly it is because of the emissions controls. But they will beat gassers when used hard for towing. Whoever said you should get 25mpg from a HD truck was fibbing or misinformed. I never even got that in my 2003, which was before diesel emission controls came on the scene.

Acceleration is, as you said, less than what one would expect. I think it is because of the marketing lies about hp and torque. They never mention torque management.

Fords have roomier interiors. I think if Ram set the seat just a little lower, like they used to be, it would help. I have hated the intrusion of a sunroof in every vehicle I have ever been in that had one. If not the front seat, it is the poor back seat passengers who get the brunt of the headroom decrease. Not that I'm extra tall or anything but I truly hate sunroofs.

I didn't like the automatic high beams because I felt it left them on too long. I can see headlights before the oncoming car rounds the bend and I anticipate and go to low beams. The automatic ones (at least in MY2015) have to see the oncoming headlights before they go to low beam. I don't like blinding oncoming traffic. I needed the ability to go to force the low beams on, which was possible with the stalk. It sounds like the Ford is the opposite, allowing you to force the high beams on but not force low beams on. That wouldn't work for me. Regardless, I turned this feature off long ago, which is why I talk about it in past tense.

I have a few similar design thoughts about the 2015 UConnect radio. If I could rewrite the code to do things properly, I would.

I wish we could select features ala-carte. "Automatic" stuff turns me off. I am perfectly capable of shifting gears, setting the cabin temperature, selecting high and low beams, turning on the wipers, etc. I'd end up with a lot of Tradesman features and just a few of the higher-level features.

Xflight29

Reaction score
First, let me say I'm an Engineering VP whose been doing product development for over 30 years so I'll admit I'm very detail oriented and have very high expectations when i buy something expensive. I know what it takes to engineer a quality product that delivers on customer expectations, and I also know when a product falls short. Also, I'm not a die hard fan of any brand, I will buy what I think is best and/or a good deal for what you're getting. I've owned Chevy, Ford, and Dodge trucks. This is not my first Dodge, I bought a new SRT10 Quad cab when they first came out. I bought the 2021 Ram 2500 in January after reading about the 3-peat win of TOTY by the Ram in Car and Driver, and because I needed a better tow vehicle than my F150.

That said, I'm not yet feeling like this truck lives up to my expectations. I'd like to share some take aways I've had, and like to hear other's feedback.

1. Fuel economy - I thought diesel engines were supposed to get better mileage than gas counterparts. I traded in a 2016 F150 Limited with the Ecoboost V6. That truck got around 13 mpg around town (nowhere near what ford claims btw), and after 1100 miles on the 2500, I'm seeing about 13 mpg. I do not drive this truck hard, or accelerate hard. I was expecting better than the ford. Also, while I've not done any long trips yet, when I'm cruising on the toll road at 75, I'm seeing about 17 to 18 mpg on the instantaneous mpg display. That's telling me I'm not going to see the 25 mpg highway I've heard about.

2. Acceleration - I know this truck is much heavier than the F150 but was expecting decent acceleration from the Ram. Unfortunately, the 2500 has really disappointing acceleration for all the torque it's supposed to have. Haven't timed it yet but my seat of the pants guess is at least 8 to 9 secs 0 to 60 or more. Before, you guys flame me, i didn't buy this truck for its acceleration, but this is disappointing coming from the ecoboost. You've really got to time your merging and passing with this thing. Whereas the F150 would light up the tires from a dead stop and even bark the tires if I stomped it at 20 mph.

3. Interior - This is a bright spot, mostly, for the Ram. The interior design and build quality is very good for the most part. Materials are nice and the interior looks really upscale for a pickup. Now for the disappointments. I'm 6'7", so very tall. I had no fit issues in the F150, headroom and legroom were great. Btw, both trucks have power sun roofs (which I hate but buying a truck off the lot always has these). I have limited headroom in the Ram and my hair rubs sometimes. Also, legroom between my right knee and the trailer brake control module on the lower part of the dash to the right of steering wheel is very limited. This truck is HUGE, how am I having fit issues?

4. Feature execution - There are a few features on this truck that are nice features, but poorly executed. The first is the Auto High Beams. Whoever wrote the user story (defined how it should work) for this feature must not drive at night. If you enable this feature in settings then you MUST keep your turn signal/high beam stalk pushed forward for auto high beams to work. However, when you use the turn signal to indicate a turn or lane change, it's very easy to pull the stalk back accidentally then your high beams turn off, and you won't notice it until the next time you're driving at night and realize your high beams aren't coming on. Also, there is no way to override the truck's decision about whether the brights should be on. To manually override and turn the brights on, you have to go into settings, navigate the menu, find the right setting, turn it off, then you can push the stalk forward and get them on, this isn't going to happen while your driving. Why does this matter? It matters since the truck's light sensors seem to be oversensitive to reflections from street signs and keep turning the brights off. There's also no hysteresis built in so the brights will go on and off often on certain stretches of road. The F150 did this right. Just turn the setting on and the brights come on and off as the truck determines, but if you push the stalk forward, you can override the truck and force the high beams to stay on. Another poorly design feature is the gauge/center stack backlight control. The dial isn't fully linear meaning you can't just rotate from dim to max brightness as you would expect. If you rotate it to the highest brightness, without clicking it into "max brightness", there is a big step in brightness between those two settings. Why does this matter? Well if you're driving in very overcast days or at twilight, and the truck turns its headlights on, the gauges will dim to the point they're very difficult to see. The only way to fix this is rotate the dial to the max position which it clicks into. The gauges are now readable but as soon as it gets fully dark, they're WAY too bright in the cab and are distracting. Another feature is how you select channels on the sound system. In GM's, you can set your favorites from any receiver (satellite, FM, or AM). Your favorites then present all these to you and you can select from what you like without needing to switch receiver modes. The system does that for you. On the RAM's 12" system, if you want to switch between an FM station and a Satellite channel (which I do often), you have to switch screens to the source screen, then select the mode you want, then switch back to the main screen to see your favorites, then select your favorite from that list, all while you're driving - not going to happen. Yes, there's a button on the back of the steering wheel, but you have to rotate through all the sources to get to the one you want. GM did this right.
I list these as examples of where Dodge had good ideas, but really don't spend time undertanding their cutomers like Ford and GM seem to have done. I could go on, but the point is made.

Ok, I'd like to hear other's thoughts about their experience with their new Ram 2500.
With that all said than why did you end up buying the Ram ? Keep in mind its a truck not a Bentley. These trucks have come a LONG way just in the last 10 years. theses trucks are designed to tow heavy and work hard.

saltman

Reaction score
I should clarify on my post above, I do disagree with the mileage claims, my 05 nv5600 truck doesn’t even get 20 on the hwy at 75. 16-20 I feel is very realistic for these trucks depending on speed. As for being a hot rod forget the hemi I think they’re turds compared to a Cummins regardless of year. My 21 hits 45-60 in the blink of an eye and merges effortlessly with 70mph traffic on the hwy

BLuRRnAWAY

Reaction score
Sounds like you should’ve waited for the cyber truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 80

25 mpg?! LOL
Yup, the Cummins is an industrial engine that is slow turning, and slow revving. Enjoy the lazy grunt.

SBelt

Reaction score
First, thanks for all the replies so quickly. I knew this might be a bit controversial, but I wanted to hear other views.

A couple comments about why did I buy the Ram 2500? I recently (last year) bought an enclosed 28ft car hauler to haul a couple of my cars/trucks to car shows out of state. The F150 pulled it but struggled. I knew it was time to upgrade to a diesel for the pulling torque.

That said, and I'm pretty aggravated at myself about this, I jumped the gun when purchasing it. I hadn't done all the detailed research I normally do, but found a decent Laramie 2500 Night Edition at 7K off sticker sitting on a lot near me. I just went to look at it, since I hadn't looked at one before, but long story short, I came home with it. My bad, and now I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse.

Honestly, to try to make myself like it more, I've already dumped several thousand in upgrades into it with new wheels/tires, leveling kit, amp research power steps, gatortrax tonneau cover, front light bar and led lights, etc. Maybe not the best strategy.

I'm hoping the first time I hook up that car hauler and tow a car several hundred miles, I'll realize why I bought it.

As I mentioned in my post, I know the truck is heavier than the ford, and I didn't buy it to be a hot rod, but to be honest, it's way slower than I expected given the 850 ft.lbs of torque. That should give a little better seat of the pants feel. Sorry, not trying to aggravate the Cummins fans.

Also, it's a bit disappointing to hear there's a new cab formthe HD trucks just around the corner, again my mistake for not doing my homework.

Anyway, interesting reading everyone's take. Thx,

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Test_Eng

Reaction score
Wow, hell of a write up and you and I have a ton in common. You hit some great notes and several items that I have noticed with my 17 ram.

Besides the truck feedback. I’m also, 6’7” and work in upper engineering management leading our R&D team. I live and breath NPD and I know what it takes to drive a quality product to market.

As for the trucks, I had a ‘14 F150 Raptor and traded up to a ‘17 2500 Laramie crew cab diesel. First thing I noticed was the smaller cab size of the ram related to leg space and the rougher ride of the ram. But when you put the ram on the highway or tow anything greater than 5K lbs the ram easily out shines the Ford.

I absolutely hated the Ford vacuum 4WD system and almost always had to come to a complete stop before it would get engaged. The solid axle is a more reliable system but it also has its principle design limitations.

The Ford electronics were very glitchy with random display issues.

To counter the harsh ride of the ram I lowered the tire pressure of the tires (60-65psi could go lower but the TPMS trips at any lower pressures) and installed a Carli leveling kit with adjustable track bar, new springs and tuned fox shocks. This resulted in huge improvements but still does not match a 1/2 tons performance. I bought the 3/4 ton to pull and haul so I can’t really complain too much as the truck is significantly heavier and I’m sure the Fords and GM all feel the same for similar sizes trucks. Other than the recent CP4 ‘19-‘20 snafu the Cummins has outstanding reliability. 54K miles on my 17 and I have not had one issue that resulted in taking the truck in. The ram is my lunch box carrier and pulls 10-12K at least 6-8 times a year.

So in December I started hunting my next truck, mostly for cabin space issues, and reviewed I reviewed all manufacturers and the ram still lead the field in my mind. So I tried to fix all my issues with my current ram and ordered a new one. Same color and in a limited trim. 6’7” so no sun roof on this truck, I hope this will gain a little clearance in the cab. Went with a mega cab to allow my 4 and 2 year olds more leg room. They have daddy’s genes and gonna be tall.

Good luck with your truck and maybe look into some aftermarket options to help with your concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LossPrev

Reaction score
I think you're doing the right thing in trying to find the positives. A lot of us love the Ram HDs so I'm sure you'll end up happy. I love driving mine around empty but get a real big smile once the toy hauler is hooked up and we're rolling down the highway.

Don't be surprised if it doesn't accelerate the trailer as fast as you might expect a big diesel to. It will not rip it from 0mph as fast I expected. Where it really shines is once you're rolling. It will hold gears unlike any gasser, pull up hills without drama and then slow down on the otherside without touching the brakes. I really struggle with describing it but to me torque isn't about how quickly you can accelerate, it's about the ability to accelerate and maintain speed.

The new cab is coming but we don't know when and it doesn't make your truck worse, it just offers some more advances. It's also not perfect...

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
When I see "level kit," that usually means bigger tires/wheels. You did state wheels/tires but not size. That right there is going to affect the performance and mileage.

As has been said, wherever you got information claiming 25MPG from a modern emissions compliant Diesel is false.

If it makes you feel better, my HO gets 8-10 towing 16K and 12 around town. Maybe 15-17 highway if I keep my foot out of it.

Phil T

Reaction score

I can't compare from the standpoint of a 2500 since our is a 3500 4x4 longbed with the HO Cummins. What I can tell you is that we are currently experiencing over 16 MPG combined, mostly rural desert driving. I never saw that good of mileage from our previous Suburban gasser with the 7.4l vortec. As far as power, our truck has so much that it can be a little frightening. When we picked up the truck at the dealer (ordered and waited for the exact one we wanted), the salesman had us take it out for a test drive. I jumped on the freeway and was unaware that we had been going over 90mph by mistake. The truck did not even feel like we were going that fast.

WE took the truck on a short test with our travel trailer down and back up a fairly good grade and it was amazing. Downhill, the truck kept the cruise speed within 1 mile per hour of the set. Uphill was the same. The truck was almost telling us to put a bigger trailer on. Our trailer is 7700# dry and it just felt like it wasn't even there. I could see it in the rear view, though.

We nicknamed our truck "The Beast" and it deserves every bit of that designation. Another bonus is that it does NOT sound like a Stupid Duty with that irritating turbo whine.

Just another opinion to chap up a few folks.

Cheers.

Pronto

Reaction score
Also, there is no way to override the truck's decision about whether the brights should be on. To manually override and turn the brights on, you have to go into settings, navigate the menu, find the right setting, turn it off, then you can push the stalk forward and get them on, this isn't going to happen while your driving. Why does this matter? It matters since the truck's light sensors seem to be oversensitive to reflections from street signs and keep turning the brights off. There's also no hysteresis built in so the brights will go on and off often on certain stretches of road. The F150 did this right. Just turn the setting on and the brights come on and off as the truck determines, but if you push the stalk forward, you can override the truck and force the high beams to stay on.

I'm not trying to make a wisecrack, but wouldn't you just override the system by turning the headlight switch from Auto to On? No need to dig through the menus.

red

Reaction score
2. Acceleration - I know this truck is much heavier than the F150 but was expecting decent acceleration from the Ram. Unfortunately, the 2500 has really disappointing acceleration for all the torque it's supposed to have. Haven't timed it yet but my seat of the pants guess is at least 8 to 9 secs 0 to 60 or more.
Have you noticed that your diesel will climb a lot of hills without gearing down? That's the torque at work.
Try going up the same hills at the same speed towing the same load with a gasser.

Last edited:

Xflight29

Reaction score
Level kit, different rims, different tires, steps, gator tonneau cover and LED lights wont make it any faster or any stronger in pulling but sounds like you must really love the truck to dump that much $$$$ and time in to it. What really gives here ? you say one thing and than do the opposite thing.

jadmt

Reaction score
I think anyone coming from an F150 3.5EB is going to feel any HD Ram is gutless whether it has a Cummins or a 6.4 hemi. My buddy has a new F150 with 3.5 and he leaves my 2020 PW for dead on the road. He also gets considerably better mpg and has a bigger tank to boot. Oh he can tow more and has a higher pay load lol. I still find myself going out in the garage just to look at my truck tho so it must be doing something right :).

Xflight29

Reaction score
I would think the PW has much more to offer off-road than the F 150 does. Just depends what you use it for. I think the PW is one of a kind.

jbncccb

Reaction score
Your fuel economy will get better after about 5k miles. And the truck will grow on you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread