Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Learning about factory air suspension

Clayinfl

Reaction score
Hi all, new to Ram 2500 truck. Towing rvs for 4 years so far with a 1500. I have a new 2500 with factory air suspension. I am looking for any resources anyone may have discovered that explains how to correctly use the “alt height” feature. Sales team was not much help. I have not found much here, in the manual or RAM website. Is there anyone who has been using for a bumper pull trailer? What does alt height do for me? Can I tow at alt height to match a lower trailer coupler better?
thanks, sorry for a noob question, but I am a noob with this new to me feature.
thanks!
clay

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Alt height requires a payload +600-750lbs and lowers the rear 1".

2500 with air will lower 2.5-3" using Bed Lowering mode. This is becuase it's 100% air sprung in the rear.
3500 with air will lower 3/4-1" using Bed lowering Mode IF there's enough weight in the bed. This is because there's still steel leaf springs supporting the rear.

bed Lowering will cancel after exceeding 8MPH. Alt height will also cancel if the payload is removed and the vehicle moved.

Clayinfl

Reaction score
Thanks for that. So what exactly is alt height used for? If it cancels after 8 mph. I understand how bed lowering is useful for hitching and unhitching, but I am not grasping the use of alt height? Is that for pulling out from under a fifth wheel or gooseneck hitch? Does it do anything with a bumper pull trailer?

JABAR357

Reaction score
Thanks for that. So what exactly is alt height used for? If it cancels after 8 mph. I understand how bed lowering is useful for hitching and unhitching, but I am not grasping the use of alt height? Is that for pulling out from under a fifth wheel or gooseneck hitch? Does it do anything with a bumper pull trailer?
I use the ALT Trailer Height when pulling the 5th wheel. It allows about 1 inch of sag at the rear of the truck and gives a much better ride.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

"Alt height will also cancel if the payload is removed and the vehicle moved"

Alt height stays engaged as long as the trailer stays attached.

For me, it levels the truck/trailers.

My sig pic is with Alt height activated.

I have one where it's not and it's clear the 5th wheel is nose high and the boat tongue is low.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I use the ALT Trailer Height when pulling the 5th wheel. It allows about 1 inch of sag at the rear of the truck and gives a much better ride.

Yes, as has been pointed out in another thread, on the 3500, alt height also likely gets you into the overload and helps stabilize the ride some. On the 2500 it's just going to level the truck.

Air ride trucks only have about 1" rake built in as opposed to non-air trucks that have 2-3" rake. The Alt ride height gets the truck level.

This is also why leveling kit spacers will generally differ between the air and non-air trucks to get the desired level.

Clayinfl

Reaction score
Thanks gents. I was confused regarding alt height vs bed lowering mode. I think I got it now. On a bumper pull that is already lower than the truck receiver, I could see this helping . And it maintains level at the reduced height while towing It appears? Anyone have any experience with a bumper pull RV using this feature?

Darkside

Reaction score
I used the Alt Trailer Height when I had my bumper pull camper because the drop hitch I had wasn’t quite low enough to have the trailer level, I used bed lowering mode to hook up the trailer and not have to use the jack as much.

Clayinfl

Reaction score
That is what I was expecting. I have to crank the trailer jack to max height to get it off the ball when in my driveway. Now I will be able to lower out from beneath. I am very interested to experiment with it. My 2.5” drawbar shipped today.

Darkside

Reaction score
I feel spoiled having the rear air when it comes to hooking up trailers, not sure I would ever want to go back to a truck without it now!!

jebruns

Reaction score
Thanks gents. I was confused regarding alt height vs bed lowering mode. I think I got it now. On a bumper pull that is already lower than the truck receiver, I could see this helping . And it maintains level at the reduced height while towing It appears?
Yes.
Anyone have any experience with a bumper pull RV using this feature?
I bumper pull an 8k double axle enclosed trailer with my 22 2500 with air suspension quite a bit. I towed it once in the Alt position, but found no benefit. I set my WDH hitch up with the truck at normal ride height and that's where I run it. I don't really even use Alt anymore, just normal and bed lowering.

jebruns

Reaction score
Alt height requires a payload +600-750lbs and lowers the rear 1".

2500 with air will lower 2.5-3" using Bed Lowering mode. This is becuase it's 100% air sprung in the rear.
3500 with air will lower 3/4-1" using Bed lowering Mode IF there's enough weight in the bed. This is because there's still steel leaf springs supporting the rear.

bed Lowering will cancel after exceeding 8MPH. Alt height will also cancel if the payload is removed and the vehicle moved.
The bolded line above is not correct for the 2500's. They will lower an inch with no load at all. It is true for the 1 ton's though.

Clayinfl

Reaction score
I played with mine last night. Bed lowering does go down a little more than 3”. Alt height does drop it 1”. I could see alt height helping out with like a uhaul or some other lower height trailers For which you don’t have a 8” drop drawbar with a smaller ball. I have only towed anything except my two RVs twice. Both were uhaul utility trailers, and they were pretty low.

Users who are viewing this thread