Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaning towards a 21/22 3500 from a 20 F250

RunningBear3500

Reaction score
My current 2020 F250 STX CCSB 4x4 7.3L is a Good Truck. The 10 speed is better, after the valve body was changed.

But, with a recent acquisition of a 17,000 lb 40' 5th wheel, I'm need to move up to a 2021/2022 Diesel Dually. Looking at a Laramie CCLB 4x4. Also, this will be my first Diesel

I've been told to choose the H.O. with the Aisin Transmission, due to issues with the 68R. I'm looking to keep this a long time

This will be my DD, pulling the 5th Wheel 5-6 times a year. Will the 3.73 gears work OR should I go with the 4.10?

Thank You In Advance for Your Help and Advice!

Scott

gimmie11s

Reaction score
There are no real "issues" with the 68rfe. It is a fantastic transmission and very strong.

With that type of load however, i personally would go with the HO/Aisin and DRW (which is what i currently own). Gears wont matter.. i have the 4.10s but with the deep 1st gear of the Aisin, the 3.73s would be just fine with over 1000 lb/ft of torque and if the truck is truly going to be a daily driver, you might want the 3.73s for the marginally better MPG unloaded.

RunningBear3500

Reaction score
Thank You gimmie11s! I was hoping for this information on the gearing. I didn't want to assume! I'm looking to order a very similar truck to yours - 2022 3500 Laramie CCLB 4x4 HO Night Edition. What kind of mpg are you seeing on yours with the 4.10s?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Thank You gimmie11s! I was hoping for this information on the gearing. I didn't want to assume! I'm looking to order a very similar truck to yours - 2022 3500 Laramie CCLB 4x4 HO Night Edition. What kind of mpg are you seeing on yours with the 4.10s?

We live in SoCal. Special ordered the truck up in Washington state--flew up on one-way tickets once it delivered to the dealer then drove it 1300 miles home. That entire trip (unloaded obviously) we average 16.1 mpg according to the screen. My hand calc was 15.8 mpg.

We averaged 75 mph so I know that was eating into the mpg some being my RPMs were about 2100rpm most of the trip at 75mph. 3.73s would have kept us closer to 1900rpm at 75 mph and, in my opinion, would have been worth another couple mpg, maybe 1.5 or 2mpg? No way we would have hit 20 mpg with 3.73s, but i bet it would have been closer to 18.

Now... this is NOT a daily driver for me or anyone in my family. We bought this simply to tow our 14k lbs 5th wheel. It does exactly that and it does it EASILY. So easy, its quite shocking actually. I feel like this truck wouldnt even notice another 3k lbs behind it in the case of your 5th wheel at 17k lbs.

Long story short, it does exactly what i want it to, but shes not quite as efficient as i thought she might be. Maybe it'll loosen up some as it breaks in, but for now, we are getting about 15.7-16.2 average on the highway unloaded.

RunningBear3500

Reaction score
We live in SoCal. Special ordered the truck up in Washington state--flew up on one-way tickets once it delivered to the dealer then drove it 1300 miles home. That entire trip (unloaded obviously) we average 16.1 mpg according to the screen. My hand calc was 15.8 mpg.

We averaged 75 mph so I know that was eating into the mpg some being my RPMs were about 2100rpm most of the trip at 75mph. 3.73s would have kept us closer to 1900rpm at 75 mph and, in my opinion, would have been worth another couple mpg, maybe 1.5 or 2mpg? No way we would have hit 20 mpg with 3.73s, but i bet it would have been closer to 18.

Now... this is NOT a daily driver for me or anyone in my family. We bought this simply to tow our 14k lbs 5th wheel. It does exactly that and it does it EASILY. So easy, its quite shocking actually. I feel like this truck wouldnt even notice another 3k lbs behind it in the case of your 5th wheel at 17k lbs.

Long story short, it does exactly what i want it to, but shes not quite as efficient as i thought she might be. Maybe it'll loosen up some as it breaks in, but for now, we are getting about 15.7-16.2 average on the highway unloaded.

This is a Sharp Truck and 5th Wheel gimmie11s! I'm guessing you went with a Sliding Hitch, with the Mega Cab and Short Bed? How many miles do you have on your truck?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
This is a Sharp Truck and 5th Wheel gimmie11s! I'm guessing you went with a Sliding Hitch, with the Mega Cab and Short Bed? How many miles do you have on your truck?

Thank you! No slider. Im using an Anderson at the moment, but my go to a slider eventually. She has just over 2200 miles on her now. We just brought it home end of May.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
That's awesome.. good representation of the data!!

anderson0172

Reaction score
I tow a 15k lb 5th wheel with a '21 and have the HO/Aisin and 4.10 gears. I had a '20 SRW 3500 with the SO/68rfe and 3.73 gears and this truck pulls it so much better. It's not a fair comparison on gearing though since the engines and trans are different and drw vs srw. Looks alot like @gimmie11s truck! This is also my daily.Resized_20210627_111454.jpeg

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I tow a 15k lb 5th wheel with a '21 and have the HO/Aisin and 4.10 gears. I had a '20 SRW 3500 with the SO/68rfe and 3.73 gears and this truck pulls it so much better. It's not a fair comparison on gearing though since the engines and trans are different and drw vs srw. Looks alot like @gimmie11s truck! This is also my daily.View attachment 18524

Beauty!!!! Do you have the rear auto-leveling air bags? We optioned the rear air and the ride really isnt bad unloaded. I would not hesitate DD'ing mine..

I had a 2016 SO cummins 2500 before this truck and the new truck is COMPLETELY different while towing. Im truly amazed. The combo of the DRW and the high output motor makes for a BEAST while towing. I really cant overstate how much easier this truck handles our trailer than the 2016.

So i completely get what youre saying and agree. Im sure the 4.10s are a big part of it but really it's the whole combo.. the HO motor, the gears, the DRW, the heavier weight of the truck itself.

Ram KILLED it with this generation truck!

WE LOVE OURS!!

RunningBear3500

Reaction score
I tow a 15k lb 5th wheel with a '21 and have the HO/Aisin and 4.10 gears. I had a '20 SRW 3500 with the SO/68rfe and 3.73 gears and this truck pulls it so much better. It's not a fair comparison on gearing though since the engines and trans are different and drw vs srw. Looks alot like @gimmie11s truck! This is also my daily.View attachment 18524
Hi Anderson0172. NICE Truck and 5th Wheel! What Size Tires are you running and what kind of fuel mileage are you seeing? How much mileage difference have you seen between the 3.73 and the 4.10? I have a daily round trip of about 85 miles into Houston M-F. Mostly Highway, except when traffic is moving slowly. I'm just trying to get a realistic idea of what I'd be looking at.

RunningBear3500

Reaction score
Beauty!!!! Do you have the rear auto-leveling air bags? We optioned the rear air and the ride really isnt bad unloaded. I would not hesitate DD'ing mine..

I had a 2016 SO cummins 2500 before this truck and the new truck is COMPLETELY different while towing. Im truly amazed. The combo of the DRW and the high output motor makes for a BEAST while towing. I really cant overstate how much easier this truck handles our trailer than the 2016.

So i completely get what youre saying and agree. Im sure the 4.10s are a big part of it but really it's the whole combo.. the HO motor, the gears, the DRW, the heavier weight of the truck itself.

WE LOVE OURS!!
Hey Gimmie11s and Anderson0172, What is/are your experience(s) with the Air Bags? Are they worth it for Daily Driving Empty? Should I consider them with the 17K 5th Wheel?

anderson0172

Reaction score
Hi Anderson0172. NICE Truck and 5th Wheel! What Size Tires are you running and what kind of fuel mileage are you seeing? How much mileage difference have you seen between the 3.73 and the 4.10? I have a daily round trip of about 85 miles into Houston M-F. Mostly Highway, except when traffic is moving slowly. I'm just trying to get a realistic idea of what I'd be looking at.
I average about 11 when towing on flat ground and in the mountains it will go down to 9. Unloaded 16 mpg. I am running the stock tires on the dually, 235/80-17. I really can't compare the gearing too well since my truck with 3.73 was the 370hp/850tq motor and my new truck with 4.10 is the 420hp/1075tq motor so all I can say is the fuel mileage is worse by 4-5 mpg on the new truck. Old truck was also SRW and new truck is DRW. The thing I really like about the 4.10 is the trans rarely shifts out of 6th gear when towing in the mountains, and that's going to increase the service life of it.

anderson0172

Reaction score

WE LOVE OURS!!
Yes I do have the auto air suspension and I am loving it! I've always installed aftermarket airbags on my other trucks and manually inflated them. Not having to do that anymore and to just see the truck lift up after putting up the landing gear on the trailer is a blessing! And I agree, this is the best towing truck I have ever owned.

Users who are viewing this thread