Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaking Shock

Will_T

Reaction score
Just an update on this leaking shock. The appt. finally came up today after just over a two month wait. Was told I needed to leave the truck with them all day. So dropped it off at 8 a.m. and got a ride home. Of course, just an hour later they called and said "yes, shock is leaking and needs to be replaced under warranty". Two plus months just to have them confirm what I already knew! Of course, there is no supply of shocks available. Backordered with no estimate of time. Was told it might be a couple of weeks, couple of months, 6 months, or even longer. Service writer said he had no way to know when or if one would be available. So I get to go back in to pick up the truck at least but then will have to wait until they actually get a shock to schedule a new appointment to get it installed.

So, my options are to get 4 Bilsteins installed for about $500.00 or wait for the oem shock to be available and be replaced for free. Since it is just dripping and I have no long towing trips planned for a few months, I suppose I will wait.

I did talk to the service manager there to ask why the long wait just to get it looked at. He said it was because they are short 10+ technicians. He said fully staffed they would have 25 service techs, but now they have only 14. And of those only 4 of them are fully trained to work on any problem. He said they just cannot get anyone to hire on. The dealership has fantastic benefits and a good starting salary for someone to come in with no experience and get trained. And he said that the fully trained techs they have make well over 100K per year. So these are good jobs for this area, but nobody one wants them. I really can't understand what is going on with this labor market???

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I hope they will replace your tires if they start getting cupped/ uneven wear from the bad shocks

Will_T

Reaction score
I hope they will replace your tires if they start getting cupped/ uneven wear from the bad shocks

Are you saying that the oem shocks will cause this or that the one bad shock can. I assume the latter. I will likely put 1,000 miles max on the truck in the next three months. If there is one shock dripping oil after driving is this enough to cause a tire problem in 1,000 miles or less? Sorry for the amateur questions but I know nothing about this suspension stuff.

Will_T

Reaction score
I think, (but not sure), Rockcrawlerdude meant they won't replace a tire even though they can't come through on the shock replacement.

I have been told that cupping can be caused by a blown shock but that it takes thousands of miles, not a few hundred. Do you think that if I have to wait for 500 miles before the shock is replaced, that distance is enough to harm the tire? They are the oem tires also, but that is another story.

I had already decided to get 4 Bilsteins put on but once my wife heard about the cost of that vs. free under warranty, she convinced me to not do it. But if 500 miles means a new set of tires also, maybe it's not smart to wait.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I think, (but not sure), Rockcrawlerdude meant they won't replace a tire even though they can't come through on the shock replacement.

I have been told that cupping can be caused by a blown shock but that it takes thousands of miles, not a few hundred. Do you think that if I have to wait for 500 miles before the shock is replaced, that distance is enough to harm the tire? They are the oem tires also, but that is another story.

I had already decided to get 4 Bilsteins put on but once my wife heard about the cost of that vs. free under warranty, she convinced me to not do it. But if 500 miles means a new set of tires also, maybe it's not smart to wait.
You will be fine at that millage i would do much more than that in 6 months lol

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
My RR shock is blown and leaking badly at 11,588. Likely well before that given the dirt/fluid buildup. Sucks I only just found this and am leaving for Elk hunting Friday and towing 2 ATV's.

View attachment 47165

The rears are the tougher to replace, have to pull the fender well a bit to access..but still not too tough.
Upgrade?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The rears are the tougher to replace, have to pull the fender well a bit to access..but still not too tough.
Upgrade?

Only thing that's keeping me from just ordering a set of 5100's is understanding if they get replaced as a set or single. If the dealer is just going to replace one shock and IMHO that's going to still affect handling, then I'll just spend $450 for the Bilstein's.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
My RR shock is blown and leaking badly at 11,588. Likely well before that given the dirt/fluid buildup. Sucks I only just found this and am leaving for Elk hunting Friday and towing 2 ATV's.

View attachment 47165
pretty sure i have both rear stock shocks from my dually out in the shop...if you want them theyre yours...

Users who are viewing this thread