Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaking rear pinion seal…

Wanderlust073

Reaction score
… part backordered for (dealer’s best guess) two weeks.

No loaners available. Hell, barely anything available on the lot to buy.

RAM allocates 5 days @ $45/day rental coverage like this is 1996.

The world is broken.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If the seal is just leaking you should be able to still drive it no?

Wanderlust073

Reaction score
Well that was my thought, but the tech said if it goes entirely you’re in for a much larger repair.

I’m open to opinions. Mainly my concern was if I know there’s an issue and still drive it, will they refuse warranty coverage if the rear end detonates worst case.

jadmt

Reaction score
just had mine replaced on my 2020 and took 9 weeks. I put about 4000 miles on it while I was waiting, most of it on a road trip.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well that was my thought, but the tech said if it goes entirely you’re in for a much larger repair.

I’m open to opinions. Mainly my concern was if I know there’s an issue and still drive it, will they refuse warranty coverage if the rear end detonates worst case.
The “tech” is a moron. Unless the rear end was leaking massive puddles and it was running dry it will be fine to drive just check the fluid and top off if needed

Wanderlust073

Reaction score
Hell with it then. I’ll get it back tomorrow.

Is this a check it every couple days sort of thing? I saw a small drop on the garage floor a week ago and nothing since (and put 800 miles of mountain driving on it in between). The shop said there was still ‘plenty’ of fluid left so can’t be that bad.

Thanks all

jadmt

Reaction score
yup just keep an eye on it. mine never got any worse while I drove it. remember a shot glass full of oil spilled looks like a lot :)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hell with it then. I’ll get it back tomorrow.

Is this a check it every couple days sort of thing? I saw a small drop on the garage floor a week ago and nothing since (and put 800 miles of mountain driving on it in between). The shop said there was still ‘plenty’ of fluid left so can’t be that bad.

Thanks all
Unless there is a stream coming out no need to check it more than once every couple of weeks

jetrinka

Reaction score
Don’t overfill it. If memory serves the fluid level should be roughly a quarter inch below the fill hole. I’d have to look in the manual again to be sure

Users who are viewing this thread