Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laundry List of Problems - No dealers will even look at it.

JcLeiva

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I need to come to you HDRAMs..

Back story:
I have owned two first gen Cummins, 1990s Dodge Ram W250 & W350 SRW. By far my favorite trucks ever. Continuing with the family and "downgrading" to a 2019 RAM 1500, I ended up having a horrible experience with the local dealership. Worst come to worst, Dodge agreed to a buyback through the lemon law (actual serious issues). After mustering up the courage, I decided to purchase a 2020 RAM 3500 since I understand lemons sometimes happen. Now here is my current story.

To start, I love my new RAM. It has little issues but that is the purpose of the new vehicle warranty. I understand stuff happens, things get missed, mistakes happen and it gets fixed. Right now, I am not getting that service. I have taken my truck to two dealerships. None have attempted to diagnose or repair the following issues. I have no idea what else to do so I decided to search for TSBs and any info on the internet as a solution.

Dealership #1:
First time that I took the truck was just for extreme bouncing in November 2020 and the guy said it's normal and called "cab hop". He said it takes about 15,000 miles (first oil change) to go away. I didn't believe him but I didn't really have a choice. After driving it for 1,000 miles, it got worse. I took it back and insisted that it gets inspected. After two days, they "thoroughly" inspected the truck and found no issues. I marked the lugs to see if they took off the wheels and found no signs. The mileage even reflected that they didn't drive the truck one mile. I decided to leave and try again at the first oil change. After 3,000 miles (February 2021), more minor issues arose so I figured that I might as well get everything documented. I have taken my truck due to extreme bouncing at highway speeds, intermittent bucking/surging at low speeds or sustained speeds, tire exploded, and a seat belt slider attachment point coming almost completely loose. There was more but they said the rest was "normal". I had no issues getting a loaner since he said it's under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty so my truck was in repair for a few days. No updates after 2 days so I called and he said it's all ready. I head over to the dealership and he said the truck drives great with no issues then says the seat belt slider is on order and I need to bring it back next week. I wish I had known that because I live 40 minutes away from this dealership (purchasing dealership and better service). I am active duty military so it's hard for me to request time to drop off my NEW truck for service. Mind you, I work 45 minutes outside of Las Vegas at Creech AFB so the drive to this dealership is over an hour and a half away. I request the paperwork stating that the repairs were not duplicable but he said I had to wait for the work to be finished next week. Next week comes up and the paper says only about the seat belt slider. I ask about it and he said they don't type up non-duplicable issues (which isn't true). Same thing, no mileage put on the truck so nothing was probably checked. I gave up on this dealership.

Dealership #2:
Personally, I hate this dealership. Purchased the 2019 RAM here and got terrible & rude service during purchasing/servicing (If you meet me, I am a super calm guy and don't like complaining despite this long post haha). I decided to give the dealership another chance since I saw an ad that it's under new management. I called the service department, explained all my issues, explained previous experiences, told them about the need for loaner since I work on a military base 50 miles out of town, etc. To my amazement, she said that nothing was a problem, loaner was secured for me, and typed up everything beautifully. I was excited for my drop-off! Unfortunately, that experience was short lived and meant with defeat and disappointment. I got to the dealership and was meet with the same previous interactions. The guy told me that it's impossible for me to get a loaner since there's no confirmed issues so he needs a few days to do that then Dodge will cover the rental from that day forward. He had me explain what was wrong then stopped me after explaining my second issue, and said that his foreman needs to drive the car since it's "too many problems". I told him that I just wanted to get it checked out so I was willing to give it to them anyways but he said "my shop foreman is out until Friday so your car is going to sit and I have to charge you $40/day for the rental". After feeling defeated with no other options, HE HAD NO RENTALS ANYWAYS hahaha. He told me to come back on Friday but I can't get out of work. I honestly don't feel comfortable going back...

After getting no where with the dealerships, I decided to take matters into my own hands to find out if these are common issues and if anyone can help me on this forum. To my avail, HDRAM is the best! I found out what TSBs are and other common related issues that may happen with this truck that perfectly match my issues/complaints. Here they are!

Issues:
Truck built date JULY 2020

1) My steering wheel makes a grinding/scraping noise when turning left or right. It doesn't matter if I am driving or idling. It's constant and quite annoying.
Match: Customer Satisfaction Notification W51 Steering Gear
Dealership response: Normal for it to make some noise as long as it doesn't get louder. He didn't even turn the wheel to see. (Dealership didn't even write it down or put it in the appointment for service)

2) While making a steady acceleration at lower speeds going to highway speeds, engine may buck/surge intermittently. It's sort of annoying because it doesn't accelerate smoothly sometimes. My 1990 Dodge Ram 12V Cummins had a smoother acceleration. I thought it was the transmission shifts but now I am second guessing it.
Potential Matches: TSB 18-048-20, Star Online Publication Case # S1918000003
Dealership response: Drives normal (no added mileage to prove testing)

3) Transmission shifts sometimes are gear hunting, shifts late, shifts multiple times and stutters. I figured there might be an update needed.
Potential Match: TSB# 21-003-21 Transmission update

4) A/C won't cool truck down sometimes. One side blows warmer than other sometimes. Here in LV it's low 30s at night and sometimes 70s during the day. 70s feels hot sometimes and it had trouble cooling that down one time....
Potential Match: TSB 24-001-20
Dealership response: The A/C in these newer trucks take a little longer to cool. (Dealership didn't even write it down or put it in the appointment for service)

5) Annoying intermittent metal squeaking and rattle. Happens usually around slower acceleration or neighborhood driving. It's definitely inside the dash on the driver side.
Match: TSB 08-088-20
Dealership response: He said he forgot to write it down for inspection but his tech didn't mention any noises.

6) Excessive bouncing at highway speeds (60-70 mph). The truck bounces so bad that my wife can't even read in the truck during long trips. Like I stated, I had a 1990 Dodge W350 with a Cummins (leaf springs ALL AROUND) that rode smoother. It definitely doesn't feel normal. I rode with a buddy that has the same truck but his doesn't have the bounce. I understand it's a heavy duty truck but it shouldn't be bouncing the way it does. It even has the bounce with my 24' enclosed trailer loaded. The bounce is so bad I have video for proof (I can't figure out how to upload it). It hasn't gotten better over the past few months until one tire exploded. When they replaced the tire under the warranty, it got a little better but it still bounces excessively.
Match: No TSB. I believe it to be a tire balancing issue. I have the added wheel/tire warranty purchased from Dealership
Dealership response: First response, bouncing was normal, also known as "Cab Hop". Second response, nothing abnormal on test drive (no added mileage to prove testing nor were lug nuts removed)

These are just the issues that I can remember at the moment...

Here is truck bouncing video:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/82777274@N05/shares/15uU40

Cpsram21

Reaction score
That is crazy you need to find a real dealer service department for sure ! Both you have had deal with suck and are to lazy to diagnose your issues. That bouncing video is not normal at all , I have a 2020 3500 laramie 4x4 and although it rides rougher then my 2006 gmc 2500 duramax it does not bounce up and down at all. By the way did you check your tire pressure ? Mine was between 85 and 100 on all 4 tires from the factory and now since my dealer missed that on the pdi i have lowered them to 70 front 65 rear.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I dont think you have any luck at all some dealers are just a joke

JcLeiva

Reaction score
That is crazy you need to find a real dealer service department for sure ! Both you have had deal with suck and are to lazy to diagnose your issues. That bouncing video is not normal at all , I have a 2020 3500 laramie 4x4 and although it rides rougher then my 2006 gmc 2500 duramax it does not bounce up and down at all. By the way did you check your tire pressure ? Mine was between 85 and 100 on all 4 tires from the factory and now since my dealer missed that on the pdi i have lowered them to 70 front 65 rear.
Tire pressure is at factory sticker settings. I have tried lower but no difference so I put it back

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Step 1: go get your tires road force balanced by a good tire shop. Rule the tires out or find out they’re bad and replace them.
Step 2: find a new dealer and start with 1 problem and let them fix it. Proceed one at a time.

Rogue 2500

Reaction score
First off, Thank you for your service!

I would reach out the member on this RamCares. They are the RAM Customer Service on this forum. See if they can help get your problems resolved.

Failing that, Have you considered contacting someone at your base to help? Start with the public affairs office and maybe AG office.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Looks like you got a shifted belt in the tires.... do yourself a favor and buy some good tires the factory ones suck no point having them replaced by dealer unless they can make you a deal on new rubbers of a different flavor

thestuarts

Reaction score
2) While making a steady acceleration at lower speeds going to highway speeds, engine may buck/surge intermittently. It's sort of annoying because it doesn't accelerate smoothly sometimes. My 1990 Dodge Ram 12V Cummins had a smoother acceleration. I thought it was the transmission shifts but now I am second guessing it.

My 2019 had this problem. TSB 18-059-20 fixed the issue, but that TSB only applies to 2019 model-year (MY) trucks. There may be a similar TSB for 2020 MY trucks, but I suspect TSB 18-048-20 is not it based on the symptoms in the TSB.

It's unfortunate that your dealership seems unwilling to simply install the latest Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM). I experienced a lot of undesirable engine and transmission behaviors, but the latest PCM and TCM updates have finally made my truck very enjoyable to drive when towing or just cruising unladen.

3) Transmission shifts sometimes are gear hunting, shifts late, shifts multiple times and stutters. I figured there might be an update needed.

I just had the TCM in my 2019 flashed for TSB 21-002-21 which appears to be the same as 21-003-21 except for the 2019 MY trucks. The TCM update has finally made the transmission shift reasonably all things considered. It still shift flares when I floor it, but that is to be expected for the Aisin.

My dealership has given me zero pushback when I tell them I am experiencing one of the symptoms in a TSB. They just update the control module with no questions asked. They don't even bother to take it for a test drive (as confirmed by my dash camera footage); they just pull it into the bay and do the update. I usually have the truck back within an hour.

My dealership is Dwayne Lane in Everett, WA. My service advisor is Jordan. If you are ever in the area, Jordan will update all of the modules in your truck as long as you say you are experiencing the symptom.

4) A/C won't cool truck down sometimes. One side blows warmer than other sometimes. Here in LV it's low 30s at night and sometimes 70s during the day. 70s feels hot sometimes and it had trouble cooling that down one time....
Dealership response: The A/C in these newer trucks take a little longer to cool. (Dealership didn't even write it down or put it in the appointment for service)

I made a YouTube video demonstrating the A/C problem. Maybe you could make a similar video of your truck then show it to the dealership. TSB 24-001-20 does not require the dealership to reproduce the problem. The diagnosis steps are just, "If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure." The dealership should not need to reproduce the behavior. Please consider sending a direct message (DM) to @RamCares.

6) Excessive bouncing at highway speeds (60-70 mph). The truck bounces so bad that my wife can't even read in the truck during long trips. Like I stated, I had a 1990 Dodge W350 with a Cummins (leaf springs ALL AROUND) that rode smoother. It definitely doesn't feel normal. I rode with a buddy that has the same truck but his doesn't have the bounce. I understand it's a heavy duty truck but it shouldn't be bouncing the way it does. It even has the bounce with my 24' enclosed trailer loaded. The bounce is so bad I have video for proof (I can't figure out how to upload it). It hasn't gotten better over the past few months until one tire exploded. When they replaced the tire under the warranty, it got a little better but it still bounces excessively.
Match: No TSB. I believe it to be a tire balancing issue. I have the added wheel/tire warranty purchased from Dealership
Dealership response: First response, bouncing was normal, also known as "Cab Hop". Second response, nothing abnormal on test drive (no added mileage to prove testing nor were lug nuts removed)

In another post, you said you are using the air pressure listed on the factory sticker. That tire pressure is for the maximum load. When the truck isn't towing, you should use the tire inflation chart for your tire to determine the minimum required air pressure. To do that, you will need to get your truck weighed at a CAT scales (or similar). Once you know the axle weights, divide by 2 for each axle to determine the individual tire weights. Once you know how much weight is on each tire, you can use the tire inflation chart to pick the right air pressure.

I usually add 5 to 10 PSI to the minimum required pressure to add a safety buffer in case I add cargo.

Here is an example of how to do the calculation:
I weighed my truck with the typical cargo and passengers that I have when not towing. The front (steer) axle weighs 5280 lbs, so each tire is bearing 2640 lbs. My rear (drive) axle weighs 3700 lbs, so each tire is bearing 1850 lbs. The tire inflation chart for my tire Firestone 275/70R18 tires indicates that the minimum pressure for the font tires should be 50 lbs, so I set the front tires to 55 PSI. The minimum pressure for the front tires should be 35 PSI, so I set the front tires to 40 PSI.

I verified with my offroad shop (CJC Offroad) that this is how they also determine the correct tire pressure. Check out this video CJC Offroad made about tire pressure.

It will really improve the ride of your truck if you run the correct tire pressure for your load. Of course, if you are towing, you need to do the calculations again.

Lastly, the stock suspension in the 3500 trucks is intentionally stiff, so it will never be smooth like a 2500 with coil-over shocks in the rear. I opted for an aftermarket Carli suspension which has made the truck a pleasure to drive, and I didn't lose any towing capacity. It is an expensive system, so it isn't for everyone. I got the Carli Suspension 3" Pintop 2.5 Suspension System with radius arms, ball joints, steering stabilizer, and progressive leaf springs.

Last edited:

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I need to come to you HDRAMs..

Back story:
I have owned two first gen Cummins, 1990s Dodge Ram W250 & W350 SRW. By far my favorite trucks ever. Continuing with the family and "downgrading" to a 2019 RAM 1500, I ended up having a horrible experience with the local dealership. Worst come to worst, Dodge agreed to a buyback through the lemon law (actual serious issues). After mustering up the courage, I decided to purchase a 2020 RAM 3500 since I understand lemons sometimes happen. Now here is my current story.

To start, I love my new RAM. It has little issues but that is the purpose of the new vehicle warranty. I understand stuff happens, things get missed, mistakes happen and it gets fixed. Right now, I am not getting that service. I have taken my truck to two dealerships. None have attempted to diagnose or repair the following issues. I have no idea what else to do so I decided to search for TSBs and any info on the internet as a solution.

Dealership #1:
First time that I took the truck was just for extreme bouncing in November 2020 and the guy said it's normal and called "cab hop". He said it takes about 15,000 miles (first oil change) to go away. I didn't believe him but I didn't really have a choice. After driving it for 1,000 miles, it got worse. I took it back and insisted that it gets inspected. After two days, they "thoroughly" inspected the truck and found no issues. I marked the lugs to see if they took off the wheels and found no signs. The mileage even reflected that they didn't drive the truck one mile. I decided to leave and try again at the first oil change. After 3,000 miles (February 2021), more minor issues arose so I figured that I might as well get everything documented. I have taken my truck due to extreme bouncing at highway speeds, intermittent bucking/surging at low speeds or sustained speeds, tire exploded, and a seat belt slider attachment point coming almost completely loose. There was more but they said the rest was "normal". I had no issues getting a loaner since he said it's under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty so my truck was in repair for a few days. No updates after 2 days so I called and he said it's all ready. I head over to the dealership and he said the truck drives great with no issues then says the seat belt slider is on order and I need to bring it back next week. I wish I had known that because I live 40 minutes away from this dealership (purchasing dealership and better service). I am active duty military so it's hard for me to request time to drop off my NEW truck for service. Mind you, I work 45 minutes outside of Las Vegas at Creech AFB so the drive to this dealership is over an hour and a half away. I request the paperwork stating that the repairs were not duplicable but he said I had to wait for the work to be finished next week. Next week comes up and the paper says only about the seat belt slider. I ask about it and he said they don't type up non-duplicable issues (which isn't true). Same thing, no mileage put on the truck so nothing was probably checked. I gave up on this dealership.

Dealership #2:
Personally, I hate this dealership. Purchased the 2019 RAM here and got terrible & rude service during purchasing/servicing (If you meet me, I am a super calm guy and don't like complaining despite this long post haha). I decided to give the dealership another chance since I saw an ad that it's under new management. I called the service department, explained all my issues, explained previous experiences, told them about the need for loaner since I work on a military base 50 miles out of town, etc. To my amazement, she said that nothing was a problem, loaner was secured for me, and typed up everything beautifully. I was excited for my drop-off! Unfortunately, that experience was short lived and meant with defeat and disappointment. I got to the dealership and was meet with the same previous interactions. The guy told me that it's impossible for me to get a loaner since there's no confirmed issues so he needs a few days to do that then Dodge will cover the rental from that day forward. He had me explain what was wrong then stopped me after explaining my second issue, and said that his foreman needs to drive the car since it's "too many problems". I told him that I just wanted to get it checked out so I was willing to give it to them anyways but he said "my shop foreman is out until Friday so your car is going to sit and I have to charge you $40/day for the rental". After feeling defeated with no other options, HE HAD NO RENTALS ANYWAYS hahaha. He told me to come back on Friday but I can't get out of work. I honestly don't feel comfortable going back...

After getting no where with the dealerships, I decided to take matters into my own hands to find out if these are common issues and if anyone can help me on this forum. To my avail, HDRAM is the best! I found out what TSBs are and other common related issues that may happen with this truck that perfectly match my issues/complaints. Here they are!

Issues:
Truck built date JULY 2020

1) My steering wheel makes a grinding/scraping noise when turning left or right. It doesn't matter if I am driving or idling. It's constant and quite annoying.
Match: Customer Satisfaction Notification W51 Steering Gear
Dealership response: Normal for it to make some noise as long as it doesn't get louder. He didn't even turn the wheel to see. (Dealership didn't even write it down or put it in the appointment for service)

5) Annoying intermittent metal squeaking and rattle. Happens usually around slower acceleration or neighborhood driving. It's definitely inside the dash on the driver side.
Match: TSB 08-088-20
Dealership response: He said he forgot to write it down for inspection but his tech didn't mention any noises.

These are just the issues that I can remember at the moment...

Here is truck bouncing video:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/82777274@N05/shares/15uU40
Hello @JcLeiva-- We certainly understand why these vehicle symptoms would be concerning, and we regret to hear about the trouble you've faced with your past dealer services. In the future, our team would be happy to escalate a case on your behalf if needed to ensure that your concerns are addressed with the highest standard. Please let us know if you would like to be connected to a specialist during your future appointment by sending us a private message.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

OneBadBernie

Reaction score
I have number 5, as well as some interesting issues of my own. Same issues with dealers, lots of issues with my previous 2019 long horn 1500, feeling like it was a mistake not to buy a GMC after trading to a 2500 Cummins

JcLeiva

Reaction score
I have number 5, as well as some interesting issues of my own. Same issues with dealers, lots of issues with my previous 2019 long horn 1500, feeling like it was a mistake not to buy a GMC after trading to a 2500 Cummins
It’s horrible feeling like you made a mistake. I sort of feel the same way right now.. it really sucks

carl2591

Reaction score
no way to treat a active duty member of the military... the manager of the service dept at the two dealerships this man is not getting any help or respect SHOULD BE FIRED.. might be time to contact the GM of the dealership and complain..

JcLeiva

Reaction score
**Update for everyone**

On to dealership #3, not the best experience but it was better than the last two. I changed duty stations to NM so I was hoping for the best.

1. Steering wheel noise is normal according to them.

2. Engine update was installed

3. Transmission update was installed

4. A/C fan clutch was found disconnected.... That is super strange but we will see if it makes a difference

5. intermittent rattling wasn't duplicable and he couldn't find anything wrong down there. I wish I had shown him the TSB. I showed him a video but I wasn't able to replicate it in person either.

They have a shuttle service and I should be getting the truck back soon. I will update in a week or so if things got better.

Users who are viewing this thread