Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Larger tires and towing

joesetum

Reaction score
I’ve got a 21 3500 HO CCLB SRW on order right now. It’s got a 3.73 ratio on it. I will be switching out the factory tires as soon as the truck gets in. Was wondering what everyone’s thought is on bumping up to 35 inch tires from the stock 33 1/2‘s. I’ve looked up the gear ratio calculators online but I just don’t know how much an inch and a half larger tire will affect my towing performance. Current travel trailer won’t be an issue because of its weight, but once we get a larger fifth wheel I don’t want to be limited because I went bigger on tires. I’ve seen a lot of threads on different tire sizes and if they will fit, just haven’t seen one geared towards my situation. I do pull our trailer through the mountains from time to time. Thanks for the help

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I've ran 35's on all my trucks. Your raising it 3/4 of an inch is all. It makes no difference at all really. Especially with an HO.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
If you are that worried swap to 4.10 gears. I towed my 10k fifth wheel both ways and can't notice a difference between the stock size and 35's.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Some of yall just way over think things...... you have a torque monster it wont even know the difference.... unless you are towing 30k daily you wont see any change in towing performance

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Some of yall just way over think things...... you have a torque monster it wont even know the difference.... unless you are towing 30k daily you wont see any change in towing performance
The engine won't care true, but as someone who has burned up a chrysler transmission, that is the component I am worried about with added stresses.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
The engine won't care true, but as someone who has burned up a chrysler transmission, that is the component I am worried about with added stresses.
Your still overthinking it. Your adding 3/4 of an inch. Less revolutions per mile and 20lbs of weight. It's negligible. Should affect your performance, mileage, reliability about as much as driving with the window down

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You are not adding any extra stress to worry about..... and you dont have a chrysler trans the aisin is a beast

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You are not adding any extra stress to worry about..... and you dont have a chrysler trans the aisin is a beast

Author has an HO. @loveracing1988 never said and doesn't have a sig but it looks like he has an SO/68RFE.

As to the comment regarding the Aisin, you are correct. It won't care if you put on 37's.

Personally, I wouldn't go over 35 towing more than 14K.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Author has an HO. @loveracing1988 never said and doesn't have a sig but it looks like he has an SO/68RFE.

As to the comment regarding the Aisin, you are correct. It won't care if you put on 37's.

Personally, I wouldn't go over 35 towing more than 14K.
Ment that the OP had the Aisin it was early give a guy a break lol

Users who are viewing this thread