Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie vs. Laramie Longhorn leather interiors...any durability issues?

Ejmartin

Reaction score
Greetings Ram Fans,
I have posted in this forum with various questions before pulling the trigger on my order. I know some of you are doing the same so hopefully this question is of some use.

Regarding the durability of the two choices trim levels. I'm aware that Longhorn is all leather, and Laramie is just leather trimmed. I've already seen one post regarding premature wear on a Laramie interior but judging by the responses it seems that may have been an isolated issue. It got me wondering about it so I'm primarily asking the Laramie owners how the seating is holding up...but definitely want to hear from the Longhorn owners. I don't want to spend extra $$ on this build without good justification.

Thus far you folks have helped be decide on going with the 4.10, 12" display, safety package and Off-Road package (though I hate paying the extra $$ for junk tires). I appreciate your inputs!

RamGuy84

Reaction score
Hello. I have a Limited, I know its not a Longhorn, but pretty much the same for materials. I'm at the 7 month mark and no issues at all with durability of materials. I have used Chemical Guys products such as the leather cleaner and then use the leather conditioner on the seats, trim and dash. It works great and preserves the leather smell.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I've had the LongHorn for about 8 months. Near 14K kms on the ODO. Seats appear to holding up well and that includes lots of heated seat operation. I'm really, anxiously, looking fwd to NOT having to use heated seats!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
No personal Laramie experience but when I had to decide between cloth and Leather, the Laramie leather/suede/vinyl mix wasn't to my liking. When they offered the 12" Uconnect on the Big Horn in 2020, it made the decision that much harder. In the end, I splurged and opted for Leather and the better lights and a few other things available with the Limited.

The Longhorn/Limited leather seating is just so much better. I couldn't get past the brown/brown or brown/black mix on the Longhorn so ended up ordering a Limited. If I was busting cattle or horses, I'd have gotten over it and gotten the Longhorn.

That said, I have 16 years of use out of my SLT cloth seats and except for sunfade, they've held up very well - although I do only have 72K miles on it...

D

Deleted member 80

My Longhorn seats are doing well. I keep after them with cleaner/conditioner frequently. The suede inserts on the Laramie seat bottom seem like they would be harder to keep new looking, especially being where you sorta slide in and out of the seat.

Reaction score
I have the Laramie brown/tan seats. 7 months so far, and no issues. It does seem like it may be thin, or just flexes a lot on the bottom, but no wear issues. No problems with keeping the tan suede inserts clean, but haven't been that dirty getting in/out.

RamGuy84

Reaction score
The suede inserts on the Laramie seats really made the decision easy for me. I've always had a Laramie too. The Limited seats are just so much better!

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me In the Laramie series what does leather trimmed seats mean. The pictures look all leather with no fabric. Also how much is it to upgrade to the 100% leather option on your build models, didn't see that option on the build page.

D

Deleted member 80

In general, it means portions of the seat are not leather. For instance, the Laramie has "suede" inserts. They may be suede, or they may be alcantara(?) which is faux suede. My wife's TSX has leather in the center of the seats, but the bolsters and surrounding areas are "leatherette", or "pleather", meaning vinyl masquerading as leather. AFAIK, the Longhorn and Limited are leather all the way.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
SO at least what your saying is that there is no fabric correct.
Does anyone know on the 2020 build models how much extra the all leather upgrade costs and is it even any option on Laramie for dealership to choose from for you.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
Does anyone know on the 2020 build models how much extra the all leather upgrade costs and is it even any option on Laramie for dealership to choose from for you.

If I'm not mistaken you have to go to the Longhorn or Limited trim to get all leather. Even then some parts are still fabric or vinyl, where moving parts rub each other. That is one of the reasons why I stepped up to the Longhorn trim on mine.

I am sure someone on here will correct me if I am wrong.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I sure hope there isn't any fabric, I wouldn't think that would look very good

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie with the brown interior. The suede inserts are strips on each end of the bottom seat cushion, and suede all around the top of the seatback where the headrest comes down. It's the same suede that are in the door inserts, which feel nice & seems pretty durable, but probably not too easy to clean, specially in the light tan I have. 7 months so far, and still look like new. As for the leather, I have a feeling it's probably only leather on the center of the seats, and pleather on the seat bottoms & possibly rears of the seatbacks.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie with the brown interior. The suede inserts are strips on each end of the bottom seat cushion, and suede all around the top of the seatback where the headrest comes down. It's the same suede that are in the door inserts, which feel nice & seems pretty durable, but probably not too easy to clean, specially in the light tan I have. 7 months so far, and still look like new. As for the leather, I have a feeling it's probably only leather on the center of the seats, and pleather on the seat bottoms & possibly rears of the seatbacks.
But no fabric correct

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

There are quite a few other upgrades that come with the Longhorn and Limited trim levels, but figure around another $6K with typical discounts or close to $8K MSRP.

My 2020 HO Limited 4x4 3500 SRW CC LWB with pretty much every option expect sunroof was $86,820 MSRP.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Yeah i know all that. Some of the new owners talk about how they upgrade their Laramie to 100% full leather like the limited. Thats what I'm wanting to know, how much is that upgrade on the Laramie. Just like how you can get the limited s moving head lights added to your Laramie for a price but I don't like those. My Laramie with pretty much all options was 83k. I call it a Laramie limited because it pretty much has all the same stuff for less. Just curious if it was a significant jump to upgrade to all leather.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah i know all that. Some of the new owners talk about how they upgrade their Laramie to 100% full leather like the limited. Thats what I'm wanting to know, how much is that upgrade on the Laramie. Just like how you can get the limited s moving head lights added to your Laramie for a price but I don't like those. My Laramie with pretty much all options was 83k. I call it a Laramie limited because it pretty much has all the same stuff for less. Just curious if it was a significant jump to upgrade to all leather.

The "upgrade" is the Laramie Longhorn.

Longhorn = Cowboy version of the Limited.

Never heard of anyone getting the full leather seats as a simple one off seat upgrade.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I do hate to disagree with you Mr brutal. Several forum members have spoke of upgrading to full leather in there Laramie. I am very aware of all the trim levels, just looking for someone with first hand knowledge who has actually done this upgrade an not just speculated on it an how much it added to there msrp. I value everyone's input with first hand experience on this matter.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
*DJ is the sales code to upgrade to full leather

Attachments

• 20200221_201834.jpg
    20200221_201834.jpg
    803.3 KB · Views: 99

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I do hate to disagree with you Mr brutal. Several forum members have spoke of upgrading to full leather in there Laramie. I am very aware of all the trim levels, just looking for someone with first hand knowledge who has actually done this upgrade an not just speculated on it an how much it added to there msrp. I value everyone's input with first hand experience on this matter.

Fair enough. I could quite possibly be completely off base, just going off my own research. I didn't pick up that you were looking for a unique upgrade option that may exist. Many confuse the Laramie with the Longhorn and I assumed you had as well. Didn't mean to insult.

Perhaps you should go and sit down with your local dealer and go through all the options available with them instead of relying on internet misinformation?

Users who are viewing this thread