Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie Mega Cab and Max Payload

johnsontoddr

Reaction score
I am about to order a '22 Laramie 3500 dually mega cab, but am trying to figure out how to get around 5,000 lb max payload to accommodate a 5th wheel that my wife wants to purchase. We want a loaded vehicle with Level B, auto leveling suspension, safety packages, power running boards, 12" unconnect, etc. As I look at current in stock mega cabs (mostly Limited and Longhorn is all I'm seeing) I see wildly varying max payloads listed by vin, along with different max payload numbers for the same VIN if I look at the specs on the ramtrucks search for existing vehicles vs. their "Look up my vehicle." Specifically, some vins show around 4,000 pounds while others are just over 5,000 pounds with very little difference in options. It looked to me like the 4.10 ratio might bump up the max payload, though I'm not sure why. Of course, it might just be that the specs online are wrong. At this stage we were thinking about going with the SO instead of the HO, because the SO will pull the 5th wheel and does not seem to affect max payload. I'm concerned about payload because a slider 5th wheel hitch plus the tongue weight of the 5th wheel adds up to around 3,000 pounds. A max payload of around 4000 does not leave much for 4 people and cargo.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
You are going to have a hard time finding a dually with 4000 lbs payload. Most will be well over 5k.

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
mine is a big horn with the SO engine. 5570 is the payload. I've seen some of the high end models at around 4900, but most are above 5k. Gearing will affect your towing numbers, but shouldn't affect payload.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Mine is 3500 HO Limited Mega cab SRW and my payload is just under 4000. No way DRW will have same payload as mine, if you're seeing just a 4000 or thereabout, it must be a SRW or the internet numbers are wrong.

Gear ratio will not affect the payload but will affect the max tow instead. HO will take away from payload as Aisin is heavier than 68RFE, and from what I heard the t-case is heavier, as well as the rear axle. If you want to maximize the payload, stick with SO.

Another point to consider, a fully optioned out Laramie will cost the same or even more than the Limited with the same options, as most of those options will come standard on Limited (that's how I ended up with LTD) so look into this before commiting.

Users who are viewing this thread