Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lane Keep Assist

Razzman

Reaction score
No clue but I turned mine off, it's annoying as hell.

ClawSS

Reaction score
I turned mine off on day 1....I think I turned it on once this year just to show the wife the annoyance....and right back off again.

On country roads where you ride the middle more than in your lane, LKA creates a constant tug on the steering wheel.

Grey

Reaction score
Possible, but I would suspect very very expensive. You would need the modules to get the system to register on info system. You would need sensors, and I believe the steering has some kind unit to send impulses to the steering wheel. Plus wiring harness. I know on mine when it drifts across the lines, the steering gives a pull. Anything is possible, but I think this would be a very costly venture with no guaranteed outcome.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Possible, but I would suspect very very expensive. You would need the modules to get the system to register on info system. You would need sensors, and I believe the steering has some kind unit to send impulses to the steering wheel. Plus wiring harness. I know on mine when it drifts across the lines, the steering gives a pull. Anything is possible, but I think this would be a very costly venture with no guaranteed outcome.

Torque overlay steering assembly, etc. etc. etc.

I think @Jimmy07 listed all the components in a thread, and he did it on his 2017 IIRC.

FWIW, comma.ai can be added to an existing LKA setup and steers the truck just fine.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Bunch of expensive and unnecessary crap. Plain and simple
As with many things in life, it’s always perspective. While lane keeping assist on the Ram is not the best version I’ve seen, we have it on an Acura RDX and it is fantastic. The car will not deviate from the center of the lane and it’s very smooth. It’s not hands free and you still have to pay attention but it does a better job than any human could for hours at a time. With a dually, it could be a great feature. On the Ram it engages too late and over corrects. If it worked as well as on the RDX, I would use it all the time.

As far as new tech goes, I think adaptive cruise control is one of the best safety and convenience features ever developed. I’ve engaged it pulling an 18,000 lb, 43 foot 5er through Ogden-Salt lake-Provo during rush hour and never had to touch the fuel pedal or the brake. If the LKA worked better, it would be a stress free ride. I would never buy a vehicle without these.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Your post does nothing to answer the OP question.

A new truck is expensive and likely unnecessary, but here we are.
Its important that the Luddite trolls come around every once and a while and remind the rest of us that everything we bought was wrong.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Its important that the Luddite trolls come around every once and a while and remind the rest of us that everything we bought was wrong.
I’ll say it again, don’t order this unnecessary overpriced garbage on a truck and the manufacturers won’t push these options and forced packages :)

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
As with many things in life, it’s always perspective. While lane keeping assist on the Ram is not the best version I’ve seen, we have it on an Acura RDX and it is fantastic. The car will not deviate from the center of the lane and it’s very smooth. It’s not hands free and you still have to pay attention but it does a better job than any human could for hours at a time. With a dually, it could be a great feature. On the Ram it engages too late and over corrects. If it worked as well as on the RDX, I would use it all the time.

As far as new tech goes, I think adaptive cruise control is one of the best safety and convenience features ever developed. I’ve engaged it pulling an 18,000 lb, 43 foot 5er through Ogden-Salt lake-Provo during rush hour and never had to touch the fuel pedal or the brake. If the LKA worked better, it would be a stress free ride. I would never buy a vehicle without these.
There is a segment that probably should have it, for sure.

Razzman

Reaction score
I’ll say it again, don’t order this unnecessary overpriced garbage on a truck and the manufacturers won’t push these options and forced packages :)
yeah like that's gonna happen. People have been bitching about this and pushing that rhetoric for decades and it hasn't happened yet. They work on their agenda not ours

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Well, on mine it wasn't "forced" and they didn't push it. That's what "option" means. I freely chose the Safety package as worth the price but I could have gone without it if that had been my desire. You might need a better dealer. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Tradesman pickups available at dealers and for orders.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Well, on mine it wasn't "forced" and they didn't push it. That's what "option" means. I freely chose the Safety package as worth the price but I could have gone without it if that had been my desire. You might need a better dealer. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Tradesman pickups available at dealers and for orders.
Safety package is an option. But if you want a limited with ram boxes your forced with this overcomplicated junk. You could go with a longhorn and no safety package but your stuck with electric steps, another expensive piece of garbage that break. Stand-alone packages like the safety thing that some may or may not want- great. Forced to get other options you want is BS

Dave01

Reaction score
So just so I understand, any option you don't want is "garbage" or "over-complicated junk".

I love tech. I admit it. I wanted all the over-complicated junk. Love adaptive cruise. Appreciate the collision sensors and automatic braking. Not sure I've ever met an option I didn't like. :) I like the electric steps, and more importantly my wife really likes them.

I understand your point, you'd like to order a trim level that you want and then pick the options you want, and to get your limited with ram boxes you end up with options you don't want. I'd just suggest that you don't need to call everything garbage and junk just because you don't want or like them.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't had any problems with the unnecessary overpriced overly complicated useless stupid crap junk garbage that came on my Limited.

I think every bit of it is great and glad I have it.

Not everyone can be a baller like us.

Bopeep

Reaction score
Can Lane keep assist be added to my 2015 ram 2500?
Don’t waste your money, 2023 limited ram does good keeping you on the ditch side, but mine will cross lanes till it get to where center line under my seat, dealer told me there is no adjustment for that, so I shut it off a wasted safety feature that needs more engineering. Good Idea, but probably added2 or 3 thousand to the truck

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Don’t waste your money, 2023 limited ram does good keeping you on the ditch side, but mine will cross lanes till it get to where center line under my seat, dealer told me there is no adjustment for that, so I shut it off a wasted safety feature that needs more engineering. Good Idea, but probably added2 or 3 thousand to the truck
I’d respond but one of the mods around here would be laughing because I’d be living up to the name they gave me below my handle, “Legendary Pessimist” ;)

jsalbre

Reaction score
I think something is wrong with your truck, it shouldn’t do that. Mine doesn’t lane center (it’s not supposed to) but it does a fine job of keeping the truck in the lane as long as the markings aren’t all screwy.

Users who are viewing this thread