Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fob “mod”?

Beranimus

Reaction score
So I’ve been thinking. The key fob to my 2019 3500 is huge. I’m wondering if it would be possible to disassemble the fob and hide it in my wallet. I use my phone for remote start and don’t need it to unlock/lock the doors. So can the key fob be disassembled small enough to fit in a wallet with out being ridiculously big?

Sawboss3

Reaction score
I don't have an answer, but I feel your pain. I would normally keep my keys in my pocket, but the fob is so unnecessarily big it is like having a brick in my pocket. Also, seems like every time I bend over with the keys in my pocket, it triggers the panic alarm.
I don't have a remote start, but I need the fob to lock / unlock my doors. It would definitely be nice to have a smaller fob.

smithb29

Reaction score
Not a fob modification but maybe this will help.
I have used a keybar for years.
It is like a swiss army knife for you keys. It has a pocket clip so it rides vertically in my pocket and stays out of the way.
It also keeps my fob in the same place and allows me to lock/unlock my truck without having to dig in my pocket to find the button.

Attachments

• KeyBar.png
    KeyBar.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 69
Reaction score
I don't have an answer, but I feel your pain. I would normally keep my keys in my pocket, but the fob is so unnecessarily big it is like having a brick in my pocket. Also, seems like every time I bend over with the keys in my pocket, it triggers the panic alarm.
I don't have a remote start, but I need the fob to lock / unlock my doors. It would definitely be nice to have a smaller fob.
Same here, About once a week I'm looking around to see who the jackass is who wont turn off their horn honking then find out it's me.

saltman

Reaction score
I actually made a post a while back about the fob being large, even the super duty fob is not as thick as the ram. You definitely know it’s there and I’d prefer not

saltman

Reaction score
I’d gladly take the 2018 keyless entry fob, it was way thinner with a slight recess to the buttons. Maybe the keyed fob you’re thinking of was worse. This new one is like an industrial designer at fca thought it would be easier for “working hands” maybe even wearing gloves to push the darn buttons and grip it. The thickness is what I hate, like a darn fisher price kids toy compared to every other fob I have

Razzman

Reaction score
Yeah it's a beast and I hate stuff in the pockets so I carry mine in a small nylon pouch on the belt, never even notice it. Started doing that with the 4th gen years ago.

saltman

Reaction score
I’d be happy with the newer Dodge fob, I wonder if it is compatible with the Rams

raggdoll

Reaction score
So I’ve been thinking. The key fob to my 2019 3500 is huge. I’m wondering if it would be possible to disassemble the fob and hide it in my wallet. I use my phone for remote start and don’t need it to unlock/lock the doors. So can the key fob be disassembled small enough to fit in a wallet with out being ridiculously big?
Haven't done this yet to my 21 3500, but here's what I did with my 18 Sport.

I had a key cut from the emergency key that lives inside the FOB itself. I keep that in my wallet. The spare fob I wrapped in tin foil and slid it between the battery and battery insulation blanket. Never worried about being locked out or loosing my main fob.

billwomacks

Reaction score
Haven't done this yet to my 21 3500, but here's what I did with my 18 Sport.

I had a key cut from the emergency key that lives inside the FOB itself. I keep that in my wallet. The spare fob I wrapped in tin foil and slid it between the battery and battery insulation blanket. Never worried about being locked out or loosing my main fob.
Sorry, maybe I'm dense. Can you please explain what you accomplished here? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
Sorry, maybe I'm dense. Can you please explain what you accomplished here? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
If he loses his key fob, he can still get the truck open with the emergency key in his wallet. Then pop the hood, grab the backup fob and you're on the way home completely without hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread