Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Katzkin cost? What did you pay

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
I was under the impression that adding leather was ridiculous in price because when brought up during purchase it would be about $1800 extra. This was told to me while the accessories guy was next to a katzkin display stand, so it would stand to reason that’s what they would use.
Recently I’ve been looking into making changes one being adding heated seats. During this I’ve found that on infotainment they have the Katzkin for $900. That’s a much larger price difference than I originally thought. One even I would be willing pull the trigger on now as opposed to later especially if I’m installing the parts for the heated seats myself. If I’ve learned one thing in my short time of owning a new Ram it’s that’s infotainment typically charges far more than what the product can be sourced for with a little time. With Katzkin they don’t even list prices on their website and a google search shows most listing at $995. I find it hard to be believe infotainment has it for that much cheaper but I’m willing to be wrong.

Would anyone care to tell how much they paid for their Katzkin with or without install. Depending on how much an install is I might give it a go myself.

rossagge

Reaction score
I had a local installer quote me $1895 about 2 years ago, but that was for a 5th gen 4Runner (front buckets and rear bench). That was installed. I'm sure the $1800 you were quoted at the dealer was with installation and some type of coverage for a period after install. The $900 is the leather seat coverings and you DIY.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I have had Katzkins installed in both our 4Runners (2014 and 2019) and I think it was about $1200 each? I have also looked into it for my Ram but most Likely only on the front two bucket seats.

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
I used to know a guy that owned an upholstery shop. 90% of his work was installing sunroofs and Katzkin leather kits for dealers. From memory, it was a pretty easy process to replace the seat covers.

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
I had a local installer quote me $1895 about 2 years ago, but that was for a 5th gen 4Runner (front buckets and rear bench). That was installed. I'm sure the $1800 you were quoted at the dealer was with installation and some type of coverage for a period after install. The $900 is the leather seat coverings and you DIY.
So then almost $900 to install? At that price I would definitely give my hand at it a try.
I used to know a guy that owned an upholstery shop. 90% of his work was installing sunroofs and Katzkin leather kits for dealers. From memory, it was a pretty easy process to replace the seat covers.
I can’t imagine to someone who’s done this a time or two that it’s very hard. Just knowing little tricks and patience with it. Im gonna call some local shops and ask what they charge if I supply everything. I’d even take the seats out for them. Just at a certain cost if rather do it myself and use that money towards the next purchase.

rossagge

Reaction score
So then almost $900 to install? At that price I would definitely give my hand at it a try.

I can’t imagine to someone who’s done this a time or two that it’s very hard. Just knowing little tricks and patience with it. Im gonna call some local shops and ask what they charge if I supply everything. I’d even take the seats out for them. Just at a certain cost if rather do it myself and use that money towards the next purchase.
Prob around 700ish to install. I was gonna have some some custom work done with the leather. Adding embroidered logos and special stitching and suede. Leather covers were around 1100-1200. I've installed cloth covers on a 2008 Ram 1500 and it wasn't all that difficult. I did remove the seats however. I know the leather would be more to work with as far as pliability, but You Can Do It!

mwalsh9152

Reaction score

These were before the days of airbags in the seats, so they were all pretty straight forward. Take the seat out of the car, put it on the bench and then separate the top and bottom. Remove the clips which hold the headrests (probably the hardest part) then remove the seat covers, which are held in place by hog rings. Install the new seat covers and make sure everything is straight, then secure them with hog rings and reassemble. I dont know if hog rings are still used?

I had to disassemble the seat in my Bronco a few years back to weld a broken seat base where it attached to the seat back. Not knowing what I was doing, it was a very simple process if you have some mechanical ability (my seat covers were not held in by hog rings, they had plastic tabs that held everything in place)

rossagge

Reaction score
Not sure if this is a thing with the Ram, but if you DIY, before you disconnect the seats from the airbag harnesses, be sure the truck is where you want it during the install and don't push the start button to accessory. I believe if you push it to assessory with them disconnected, it will give an airbag fault and might not reset once connected. If that happens not sure if Alpha OBD can reset them or you'll have to take it to the dealer. Ask me how I know!? Of course this happened on a different vehicle, BMW e39 5 series. Could never get the passenger airbag light to reset.

rossagge

Reaction score
Not pushing you to another forum, but check out ramforums.com Plenty of threads about katzkins.

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
Not pushing you to another forum, but check out ramforums.com Plenty of threads about katzkins.
No by all means I appreciate it. This forum seems kinda new with not as much activity I’m used to coming from Tacoma World.

rossagge

Reaction score
This forum is still awesome. Loads of info and good members. Not much on Katzkins though.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

MtnRider

Reaction score
I purchased and had them installed by a authorized Katzkin dealer for for $980 out the door on my 2016 Mega. That was about 2 1/2 years ago so I am sure prices have gone up, then add Covid related supply issues, and it goes up even more.

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
For anyone else wondering Leatherseatpros seem to have the listings of all the options on their website. Prices are like I thought and much cheaper than infotainment. There’s also many more options you can have done on the leatherseatpros site. Will be calling some upholsterers tomorrow to see how much they charge.

K9RAM

Reaction score
I JUST called Katzkin two days ago. For a 2021 2500 with factory vinyl and 40/20/40 front seat ONLY (I'm ripping out the back completely) I was quoted at $1,600 for a "custom" order...two-tone with perforated body and wings, and colored stitching. For a single color it was $1,300. That's installed at a local installer. I wanted the DegreeZ heating and cooling as well...you sitting down? DOUBLE the cost at another $1,400 installed. While I'll, likely, still have it done, it's not as high on my priority list as it was two days ago!

I don't know how much prices may vary by region, or if one deals directly with an installer vs. Katzkin directly. My installer is in Winchester, VA. There's also ZERO chance I'm recovering the seats...not to mention installing the blowers and inserts...myself. These aren't like buckling on some Wet Okole covers over your existing seat coverings.

K9RAM

Reaction score
$990 plus tax installed.
Well what in the actual...? Did you go through Katzkin and they arranged it through a local dealer? Or did you just buy the leather from them and have someone local install it? I'm still trying to digest their pricing to me for JUST the front row!

MtnRider

Reaction score
Well what in the actual...? Did you go through Katzkin and they arranged it through a local dealer? Or did you just buy the leather from them and have someone local install it? I'm still trying to digest their pricing to me for JUST the front row!

For mine, I went through a local Katzkin authorized dealer/installer and it was pretty the same price as above. 2016 Mega cab, front, rear, and middle seat/console in black with gray stitching and perforated seat and back.

The Only thing I could not due through this dealer was get the Ram logo embroidered in the seat back. They made a deal that those are Mopar dealer only and it would have cost me $1400 for the same exact setup with a logo.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Went through my local Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread