Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack and Jack Stand Location for Tire Rotation

volcomrr

Reaction score
2019 SRW SB 4x4 6.7L

I'm trying to rotate my tires using a floor jack and jack stands. The owners manual clearly states where to position the jack for tire replacement (such as a flat tire). I can manage to get my jack and jack stand in the proper location at the rear, although its a very small window of lifting and placing the jack stand.

However, the front is a different story. There's no where relatively close by to lift the front end and place the jack stand at the intended lift point. The only other locations I see that could possibly be lifted from are the differential (large and small pumpkin in the front, which I'd rather not lift by), and the radius arm which has a flat piece of metal under it (maybe that's for a 2 post lift and can be utilized as a floor jack location?). I did however notice near the oil filter, the metal pan it gets set down in during removal/installation, was clearly marked on the bottom as "NO JACK".

So here's the question, where are ya'll lifting with a floor jack to be able to place the jack stand right next to the front wheels on the axle tube? Yes I want to use jack stands and not just rely on the floor jack while the wheel is off, and that particular location on the front axle tube is too close to the wheel to get the floor jack in there anyway. Thanks.

Last edited:

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I just used the floor jack and a chunk of 2x4 to get close to the jack point... I didn't bother with a jack stand.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always lifted my trucks by the diffs and put jackstands under the axles unless doing suspension work. Then I still lift by the diffs and just place the jackstands under the frame.

Honestly, I haven't looked at the 2020 yet to see what that entails.

volcomrr

Reaction score
I've always lifted my trucks by the diffs and put jackstands under the axles unless doing suspension work. Then I still lift by the diffs and just place the jackstands under the frame.

Honestly, I haven't looked at the 2020 yet to see what that entails.

What year is your truck? Mine is a 2019.

Squatch

Reaction score
I used a jack and a half round price of fire wood, the wood molded to the center of the axle perfectly and protected the axle.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Jack up the backside via the differential housing (I use a hockey puck in the jack's saddle) and install stands. Takes the rear wheels off. Jack up the front, one corner at a time, remove and install the rotated wheels. Ya don't need to jack stand the front if you're only rotating the wheels/tires. Just ensure the jack is up to snuff and don't get under any part of the truck.

sainthalo65

Reaction score
Ok new 2500 owner and new to Ram and just lifted vehicle to remove tires to rivet mud flaps and noticed a white plastic cone on the jack bracket kit Just curious what this is used for on the truck. Looks like one for keeping bumper paint in tact while lowering spare is my best guess, just not certain of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok new 2500 owner and new to Ram and just lifted vehicle to remove tires to rivet mud flaps and noticed a white plastic cone on the jack bracket kit Just curious what this is used for on the truck. Looks like one for keeping bumper paint in tact while lowering spare is my best guess, just not certain of this.

LOL, it's a funnel.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Yep, a funnel to use in case you need to use a gas can since most of the new eco gas cans don't have the spout that will open the flap.

Vapor567

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, I just rotated my 2019 2500 myself and had to use a wood block to fit in the rear axle space to jack the back rear tire up. Then I used the flat rectangle spot under the axle to jack it up, and jack stands on the axle. I'll post a pic with the spots circled to get input if it was ok. Funny this is the first vehicle I had a challenge on determining where to place the jack/jack stand so this post made me feel better.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Well finally I see what you all are speaking about I’ve the same mine which is a hot connection to the bumper only. Do you think they put one in the bedand on bumper only to have owner to decide which one they use with either a TT or 5er? Anyway I digress here is my glamour shot lol

Wrong post darn it man

Wrong post but Brutal you’ve got the idea. sorry my bad.

Give me a hint (link or thread heading) what thread this should have been in and I can move it.

I looked around but can't determine which one you might have intended it for.

sainthalo65

Reaction score
It was meant as a reply to our conversation in Trailer Camera Prewire post. My follow up to you. Thank you

CforHD

Reaction score
Seems there isn't a consensus on jacking the frontend. The manual indicates the only jack point being the frame rail, right behind the lower control arm. But then Mopar's tire change video directs you to use the axle tube, as close to the wheel as possible (I suspect this is ~1" exposed tube inside the shock mount?).

I noticed there's ~1" of axle tube exposed between the "large and small differential" that seems to be exact center of the axle. Has anyone tried placing a 2x2 on floor jack plate to jack at this point?

I'm afraid of jacking off the (front) large pumpkin as its off center towards the driver side and could make the truck easy slip/tilt over off the jack. Thoughts?floor jacking.jpg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Seems there isn't a consensus on jacking the frontend. The manual indicates the only jack point being the frame rail, right behind the lower control arm. But then Mopar's tire change video directs you to use the axle tube, as close to the wheel as possible (I suspect this is ~1" exposed tube inside the shock mount?).

I noticed there's ~1" of axle tube exposed between the "large and small differential" that seems to be exact center of the axle. Has anyone tried placing a 2x2 on floor jack plate to jack at this point?

I'm afraid of jacking off the (front) large pumpkin as its off center towards the driver side and could make the truck easy slip/tilt over off the jack. Thoughts?View attachment 65201
Jack on the radius arms then put stands under axle.

CforHD

Reaction score
You jack one side, at the radius arm front mount, place a jack stand in the shock mount area, and then repeat on the other side?

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
You jack one side, at the radius arm front mount, place a jack stand in the shock mount area, and then repeat on the other side?
A jack stand behind the rear radius arm mount, on the frame myself. But, use two floor jacks and leave them under.
Not jacking on the front mount, on the radius arm itself…

Users who are viewing this thread