Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It feels like my hood is going to blow off!

Golfnut

Reaction score
I purchased a 2022 Laramie about 6 weeks ago. I absolutely love the truck but the hood scares me to death. When driving into a strong wind the front corners act like they are going to peel off. My 2017 Expedition does the same thing. Do I need to worry about it? Is there a cure?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I purchased a 2022 Laramie about 6 weeks ago. I absolutely love the truck but the hood scares me to death. When driving into a strong wind the front corners act like they are going to peel off. My 2017 Expedition does the same thing. Do I need to worry about it? Is there a cure?
The nature of aluminum hoods you are fine you can adjust the bump stops a bit to make it a bit better

Wholeo

Reaction score
I see you mentioned a Ford Expedition, I drive a 2018 F250 for work and not only does the edges raise the whole dang hood dances, used to scare me to death and it's so bad the aluminum around the catch that latches is cracked, I'm used to it now. I got my Ram back in July and have only put 1,000 miles on it and I really hope it won't suffer the same hood problems my work truck does, I work a lot

Will_T

Reaction score
The nature of aluminum hoods you are fine you can adjust the bump stops a bit to make it a bit better

Mine did the same, especially when passing an oncoming semi in the adjacent oncoming lane. There was a long thread about this a while back. I played with the bump stops a bit and that did not help. Finally followed a recommendation to put some pads on the non-adjustable stops. That fixed it for me. See posts 169 and 171 in this thread: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/hood-vibrating-at-highway-speeds.515/page-9#post-130057

jetrinka

Reaction score
Yup very common. Haven't been able to resolve it. Hood has never popped up though so I just ignore it now. The first time it happened bad though I almost crapped my pants thinking the hood wasn't latched

flan

Reaction score
Haven’t heard of one blowing off yet, but heard of plenty shimmying. Adjust the stops, it’s too bad they don’t come adjusted from the factory like they should but I guess it’s a common issue across the brands since they have been going with weight saving materials to increase tow ratings.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yup very common. Haven't been able to resolve it. Hood has never popped up though so I just ignore it now. The first time it happened bad though I almost crapped my pants thinking the hood wasn't latched
You should see mine flap when i drive with my plow on! You would have to change your pants! Lol

Docwagon1776

Reaction score
I gave both my stops about 1/2 turn "up" and that seems to have resolved the vast vast majority of hood flutter.

Firebird

Reaction score
My 2019 flapped around, but thankfully, my 2021 doesn't

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I've adjusted mine over the years and it's pretty good unless it's really windy, or passing a semi.

Users who are viewing this thread