Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this upside down???

vancepp

Reaction score
Totally newbie question, and I apologize for that, but are my shocks on upside down? Does it matter? Had a level kit installed and it seems like nothing but trouble since, mainly from them putting the wrong track bar on. That is fixed now, but I just noticed my shocks seem like they are on upside down compared to the pictures in the install instructions. Maybe it doesn't matter, just seems weird.

It also feels like I have something loose under the front of the vehicle. Going over small bumps, it seems like I can feel a slight "bump" in the steering wheel as well as in the pedal. It sounds or feels like a wheel is loose or something, but maybe that is just in my head after all the other trouble I have had with this install shop. I have been under it multiple times and can not find anything that will replicate the sound. Have torqued everything I know to try and still no relief.

Any ideas???

vancepp

Reaction score
Is that a "wow" because it is upside down... or because my question is dumb?

Marshfly

Reaction score
Front shocks can only be installed on way as the mounts on each end are different. That said, shocks should have the shaft at the bottom to jeep the seals lubed. Yours are backwards according to that guideline but installed as the manufacturer intends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawk375

Reaction score
the front shocks can only go in one way as one end is a stem top and the other end is an eyelet for a bolt to go through.

vancepp

Reaction score
That makes sense. May only fear now is the these guys put the wrong shock on... It has not been a good experience. Oh well.. live and learn.

Thanks guys...

Hawk375

Reaction score
You may be alright, the factory shocks are oriented the same way with the shaft up. If the manufacturer designed those to operate with the body down, that’s fine. Some shocks like the fox shocks I put on yesterday can operate in either orientation, but having the body up is preferable to keep the seals well lubed.

I also wouldn’t expect a shock to have the stem at the bottom either.

vancepp

Reaction score
You may be alright, the factory shocks are oriented the same way with the shaft up. If the manufacturer designed those to operate with the body down, that’s fine. Some shocks like the fox shocks I put on yesterday can operate in either orientation, but having the body up is preferable to keep the seals well lubed.

I also wouldn’t expect a shock to have the stem at the bottom either.

So maybe they just put the OEM shocks back on? Or would their length prevent that? There are not labels on the new ones and they should be the NX2 from BDS, (who also does FOX).

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Sounds like one of your lower shock bolts needs to be tightened. When those bolts are even a tiny bit loose you will feel it in the steering wheel/floor at lower speeds. I have had to over-torque my shock bolts on my old trucks.

Not sure what shocks those are. If twin-tube, the general rule is to not run them upside down unless the manufacturer says it is OK. Mono-tubes and gas shocks can go either way but tube up/shaft down is preferred.

MSundet

Reaction score
That makes sense. May only fear now is the these guys put the wrong shock on... It has not been a good experience. Oh well.. live and learn.

Thanks guys...

They did it the way the shock was intended I believe they just did mine this was I’m in MN and asked this question because of all the salt they use the shock was intended/designed for this way of installation

Users who are viewing this thread