Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this 5th wheel too much for my 3500 SRW?

roegs

Reaction score
My '21 3500 CC standard box SRW has a sticker payload of 3617 lbs. Engine is 6.7 HO. We're looking at a VanLeigh 320GK. Specs are below. We really like the trailer and it meets many of our wants including a length of 35' or less. On the other side, I want something that tows and handles well as we plan to do some cross country trips and I don't want that feeling of too much trailer for the truck. Wondering if this unit is really DRW territory.

VanLeigh 320GK
  • GVWR : 16,000
  • Dry Weight : 12,400
  • Cargo Carrying : 3,600
  • Width : 101"
  • Height : 12' 11"
  • Length : 34' 11"
  • Hitch Weight : 2,600

Last edited:

jalapeno

Reaction score
My '21 3500 CC standard box SRW has a sticker payload of 3617 lbs. We're looking at a VanLeigh 320GK. Specs are below. We really like the trailer and it meets many of our wants including a length of 35' or less. On the other side, I want something that tows and handles well as we plan to do some cross country trips and I don't want that feeling of too much trailer for the truck. Wondering if this unit is really DRW territory.

VanLeigh 320GK
  • GVWR : 16,000
  • Dry Weight : 12,400
  • Cargo Carrying : 3,600
  • Width : 101"
  • Height : 12' 11"
  • Length : 34' 11"
  • Hitch Weight : 2,600
I would check on some of the rv forums to see what the actual loaded pin weight it that they are seeing for this model. That advertised pin weight is unloaded. We are considering a similar 5th wheel that has a 2400lbs pin weight but forum members that already own that model say loaded pin weight is about 3100lbs.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
You do not say what engine your truck has.

But look at this. Dry weight is how it comes to the factory. At dry weight it has a 21% pin weight

If you are cross country traveling...you are probably going to have some stuff in the camper.

So at max gross that is a 3600lb pin weight.

Even if you pack light...most have about 1000lbs and travel with empty tanks...so say 14k...you got 3k on the pin.

Just some thoughts.

If you got the Cummins...it would be better for out west...if you got the Hemi...you are very near GCWR as well

roegs

Reaction score
I would check on some of the rv forums to see what the actual loaded pin weight it that they are seeing for this model. That advertised pin weight is unloaded. We are considering a similar 5th wheel that has a 2400lbs pin weight but forum members that already own that model say loaded pin weight is about 3100lbs.
This is my concern also....I'm thinking that pin could easily be 3100 lbs which brings me close to my 3600 lb payload.

The 5th wheel is at a dealer - Do they have the ability to measure pin weight as the RV sits on their lot?

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
This is my concern also....I'm thinking that pin could easily be 3100 lbs which brings me close to my 3600 lb payload.

The 5th wheel is at a dealer - Do they have the ability to measure pin weight as the RV sits on their lot?
At the dealer it is most likely still gonna be empty.

You can see even with just 1000lbs of stuff...which is not much...you will be over 3k pin.

You could exceed payload some...but you do not want to exceed. Rear GAWR.

Then you have to decide if you want to travel at over GVWR...which no matter who shows up is not a magical number in the 3500.

Best bet...if there is a CAT scale near your dealer...ask to take it over and see where the base line is and prepare to not add much to the camper

gimmie11s

Reaction score
You'll be fine. If it weighs heavy on your mind, load your gear towards the rear of the trailer while towing vs. in the front bedroom-- but i wouldnt even bother with that TBH.

The standard agreed "about" pin weight on 5er RVs is ~20% of the weight of the trailer. Even if you fully loaded the trailer to max gvwr of 16k lbs (which is unlikely), you'd still be roughly 3000-3200 lbs pin weight --and that is probably very generous.

~3000 lbs pin weight with a fully loaded down trailer still leaves you with 617 lbs of theoretical payload in your truck for passengers and gear.

roegs

Reaction score
After picking up the truck when I bought it, I stopped at a scale on the way home. Rear axle with me in it (200 lbs) was 3200 lbs. Front axle was 5100 lbs. Rear GAWR on my truck is 7000 lbs. For comfort, I'd still prefer to stay not much above 3000 pounds pin weight. Can't believe I'm having this discussion so soon after getting a 3500 truck! Its the way it always goes - we always seem to fall in love with an RV that pushes our limits.

roegs

Reaction score
You'll be fine. If it weighs heavy on your mind, load your gear towards the rear of the trailer while towing vs. in the front bedroom-- but i wouldnt even bother with that TBH.

The standard agreed "about" pin weight on 5er RVs is ~20% of the weight of the trailer. Even if you fully loaded the trailer to max gvwr of 16k lbs (which is unlikely), you'd still be roughly 3000-3200 lbs pin weight --and that is probably very generous.

~3000 lbs pin weight with a fully loaded down trailer still leaves you with 617 lbs of theoretical payload in your truck for passengers and gear.
Thanks Gimmie11s - good thoughts about loading since I'd be so close. Just so I fully understand, what is TBH?

Moose074

Reaction score
Ignorance can be bliss. When my wife found our current 5th wheel. I went down and found a great deal on 2016 F350 Swd power stroke. Never once cared about payload truck did great the two years I had it. Then I bought a 2018 Ram Dually it wasn’t until a few days later when I was researching new truck that I saw I had almost 2500 more payload in the new truck that I realized I was probably overweight on the old one. Never would have cared or noticed because the truck did great. Now I have a few hundred less in payload but the 2021Laramie with HO is going to pull even better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RossT

Reaction score
Dually's are the answer.

We bought our 5th wheel and pulled it with a 2016 2500 cummins for a season and i immediately knew if i ever bought another truck it had to be a dually.

So that's what we did haha

I bought a dually back in January for a very similar reason. I currently have a 40 foot bumper pull, 13k, but didn't want my next RV purchase to be limited by the truck I was driving... LOL

I do have a couple of big GN trailers that are better handled by the dually though.

Wileykid

Reaction score
After picking up the truck when I bought it, I stopped at a scale on the way home. Rear axle with me in it (200 lbs) was 3200 lbs. Front axle was 5100 lbs. Rear GAWR on my truck is 7000 lbs. For comfort, I'd still prefer to stay not much above 3000 pounds pin weight. Can't believe I'm having this discussion so soon after getting a 3500 truck! Its the way it always goes - we always seem to fall in love with an RV that pushes our limits.
Re-weigh your truck with everything in it, ready to go, and see what the rear axle weight is. With my 3500, on the CAT scale, I have a payload of 3,400, and the rear axle has a "payload" of 3,600 lbs. The trailer I have on order will have a loaded pin weight (per several owners), of around 3,000-3,100 lbs. I am comfortable being 500 lbs under the max axle weight, or even 100 lbs. When I get the trailer, I will put it on the scale and see what my weight is, and if I am over, well, I will look at either a long bed, or a dually.

roegs

Reaction score
Re-weigh your truck with everything in it, ready to go, and see what the rear axle weight is. With my 3500, on the CAT scale, I have a payload of 3,400, and the rear axle has a "payload" of 3,600 lbs. The trailer I have on order will have a loaded pin weight (per several owners), of around 3,000-3,100 lbs. I am comfortable being 500 lbs under the max axle weight, or even 100 lbs. When I get the trailer, I will put it on the scale and see what my weight is, and if I am over, well, I will look at either a long bed, or a dually.
Thanks for the info. Curious about the payload for a long bed vs. our truck (assuming you have short box). Your two numbers above (3400 + 3600) add up to 7000 which is the GAWR rating for our rear axles. Does the long box 3500 have a higher rear axle rating?

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I bought a dually back in January for a very similar reason. I currently have a 40 foot bumper pull, 13k, but didn't want my next RV purchase to be limited by the truck I was driving... LOL

I do have a couple of big GN trailers that are better handled by the dually though.
My 2013 RAM 2500 had 125k on it last April. I had been shopping the last part of 2019. The dealership called me and I purchased a 3500 dually long bed. Our 2500 was within 300 pounds of max rear axle weight. We will buy another camper, and that camper will probably be heavier than the current one is. So now I am set for whatever we find up to 20k! I just wanted to be prepared for whatever I find.

Wileykid

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Curious about the payload for a long bed vs. our truck (assuming you have short box). Your two numbers above (3400 + 3600) add up to 7000 which is the GAWR rating for our rear axles. Does the long box 3500 have a higher rear axle rating?

No, it uses the same 7000 lb axle. I have looked at long beds, but unless someone knows if, with the same pin weight, some of that weight is transferred to the front, what is the difference?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Id do it but here recreational vehicles are overlooked when it comes to payload

roegs

Reaction score
Just to summarize what I believe we are saying here. For 3500 SRW trucks, the door jam the 'Not To Exceed' payload number (3617 in my case) is equal to 7000 (rear GAWR) minus the rear axle weight with truck empty and fuel full. If I go to a CAT scale and weigh my rear axle (say its 3600 lbs) than my payload is simply 7000 lbs minus 3600 lbs equals a max payload of 3400 lbs.

Math class is now dismissed.....

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Just to summarize what I believe we are saying here. For 3500 SRW trucks, the door jam the 'Not To Exceed' payload number (3617 in my case) is equal to 7000 (rear GAWR) minus the rear axle weight with truck empty and fuel full. If I go to a CAT scale and weigh my rear axle (say its 3600 lbs) than my payload is simply 7000 lbs minus 3600 lbs equals a max payload of 3400 lbs.

Math class is now dismissed.....
Payload doesn’t only go in the bed or on the rear axle. Your butt in the driver seat is payload, too. If you have a winch on the front.. that’s payload, too. That big ol 5’er hitch? .. payload.

Users who are viewing this thread