Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the 2500 a good all around truck, not for towing all the time?

LightRacer

Reaction score
I have been browsing forums for months and finally thought I would post something. From what I gather, most people buy 1500s because they don't always do the typical, traditional "truck things" with then and they are more like luxury vehicles in a way now. I am going to be replacing an old full size SUV and I feel a truck will be more versatile. It would essentially have the same cabin and passenger seating (actually the truck could hold 6 where I only have seating for 5 now) and I figure the bed will be more versatile to haul things around and I can always put a canopy on it if I feel I miss the covered storage someday. I would use it as a secondary vehicle (not a daily driver) but right now I use the SUV to haul bigger things, pick up lumber, go camping, go skiing, etc. I do have to borrow a truck sometimes to pick up dirt or go to the dump so that is why I think the truck would be more versatile. I tow a boat now sometimes but nothing large. It sounds like a 1500 would fit all of those needs, but then I read a lot of places where you can never have too much truck. I think there is a good possibility that we may get a travel trailer in the future. I don't know what size, but I can pretty much guarantee it will never be a huge 5th wheel or anything. Probably something in the 20'-30' range. It would be nice to have a truck that will be around for many years because I am not one who trades in a vehicle every few years. I guess what I am saying is, I never really thought about a 2500 but they don't seem that much more expensive (with a Hemi). Is it a bad idea to have an HD truck like this if you aren't doing a bunch of towing or hauling all of the time? The only disadvantage I see is less MPG and probably not as smooth of a ride as a 1500. Love to hear some thoughts on this.

mpinco

Reaction score
The travel trailer addition could be the item that moves you from 1500 to 2500. A 1500 would tow a 20' with few issues. The 20' is likely 5,000 lb with a 500 lb tongue weight. The 30' is probably near 9,000 lb with a 900 lb tongue weight, maxing out the 1500. A 2500 would be a better choice for TTs over 25'. If your like most people you will get what's called 2-foot-itis. Your going to want the next size up bigger trailer. Plan your tow vehicle selection accordingly.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Considering you are posting this on a forum focused toward the HD trucks, you're likely going to get some biased responses.

That said, I think many here have had 1500s (or competitor equivalents) in the past and felt the need/want to move up (myself included).

I don't tow or haul for a living, and really probably on do once a month. But even if it just running around town doing non-truck stuff, we end up taking the truck 90% of the time rather than the Durango. Yeah, it gets worse gas mileage. Yeah, it requires more thought when parking. Yeah, it is less "plush" of a ride. But we still choose it almost every time.

Go for it. And if you don't take the 1500 step first, you won't have a clue what you may possibly be missing out on by jumping directly into an HD.

jm888

Reaction score
I can't really comment on this but to say I am kind of in the same boat, although I do plan to get a trailer close to 30'. It sounds like, like you said, you can never have too much truck. Go for the 2500!

Ed95pont

Reaction score
I have always had 1 ton trucks my whole life. Back in 2012 we sold our fifth wheel and our dually. I needed a truck for around the house dump runs , lumber ect. We pay hefty property tax on new tucks here in ct so I bought an 2008 F150 with 100k. It was fine 99% of the time. I even put a midweight plow on it and it did ok for home. The times it was not ok sucked. I vowed never again. I am back in a 1 ton. For a few bucks more 3500 every time

Woodall83

Reaction score
I don't tow, I don't haul. Many people will question why I went to an HD and will never understand it. I don't care. It's the better looking of the 2 Ram trucks, I wanted it to have heavier duty mechanical parts and I just wanted it. So that's why I bought it.

Jackb60

Reaction score
I had a 1500. I pulled several different trailers but in the mountains especially at high elevations it struggled a bit. Windy days also put a strain on it. I’m now driving a 2500 6.7 and love it. No concerns about wind or mountains it just pulls whatever I need. As a daily driver it does just fine.

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
A 2500 isn't terrible to daily drive, the 8' bed does make parking lots a little difficult. With the weather warming up I'm creeping closer to the mpg my 1500 got but I'm sure it will never reach it.
We bought a 32' travel trailer and the 1500 had plenty of power, could have used something in the rear for the big bumps while towing. We were getting close to payload and adding another kid and car seat put us that much closer.

With the 2500 we can bring whatever we want and have the capability for a bigger trailer in the future.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Had a 2019 1500, replaced it with a 2019 2500 to tow our 'future' travel trailer... the 1500 would have been way to close payload wise for my comfort., the 2500 has plenty.
In the interim it does tow smaller loads around and is my DD when the weather is crap and I can't ride my bike.

Ride certainly isn't the same as it was on the 1500, but with coils on the back and lowering psi I find it acceptable and MPG is better than what I was getting on the 1500.

Frank

Reaction score
If you think you might want a TT, get a 2500. Half tons look good on paper but anything over 24 ft including tongue and 5k lbs they can do it but not very well. You would regret the 1500.

For all the other uses, especially if the boat can be tower fine by an SUV, an HD would be a bit of a waste.

Reaction score
OP.... I have had six different Ram 2500s in trim levels from SLT to Laramie Longhorn beginning in 2015 to just purchasing a 2021 Ram 3500 MegaCab Limited last week to get out of my 2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn.

If you can afford it, get. I bleed Ford Blue yet for my business, there is no substitute for the Ram. I've logged over 1-million miles in my trucks collectively and never had any of the issues most complain about.

waterlily-ram.jpeg

jm888

Reaction score
Another I realized is that the 2500 dimensions (length and width) are the same as 1500, just a little taller. So on paper at least, it doesn't seem like a much bigger truck, whereas a GM HD is taller and wider than it's 1500 counterpart.

Frank

Reaction score
Another I realized is that the 2500 dimensions (length and width) are the same as 1500, just a little taller. So on paper at least, it doesn't seem like a much bigger truck, whereas a GM HD is taller and wider than it's 1500 counterpart.

I traded a 2019 1500 CC SB for a 2020 2500 CC SB. This is a much bigger truck when framed in how much extra space you have to give to the top of the garage door, side to side or length in parking spaces, getting in without steps etc. Adding 3 inches when you only have 4 to spare is a big difference. And I can tell you the automatic car wash leaves a skunk stripe on my hood because it can't reach like it did on the 1500.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Once you start talking about a 30' trailer you are probably in 2500 land. Next you say you will not tow often and mostly use the truck around town. Then you would be best to go with the 6.4 Hemi instead of the Cummins. The diesel is meant for towing heavy and often. They do not do well sitting unused or just as a grocery getter. The big Hemi would give you plenty of power, especially if you go with the 4.10 rear end. Lastly you talked about room. Check out the MegaCab. Back seat is even bigger than the front. I would also add that the ride in the 2500 is very good for an HD. And it gets even better if you go with the air suspension. Good Luck!

gimmie11s

Reaction score
A 2500 isn't terrible to daily drive, the 8' bed does make parking lots a little difficult. With the weather warming up I'm creeping closer to the mpg my 1500 got but I'm sure it will never reach it.
We bought a 32' travel trailer and the 1500 had plenty of power, could have used something in the rear for the big bumps while towing. We were getting close to payload and adding another kid and car seat put us that much closer.

With the 2500 we can bring whatever we want and have the capability for a bigger trailer in the future.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Disagree. My 2016 2500 cummins short bed crew cab was AWFUL to daily drive. That being said, i was putting about 300 miles a week on it for work and it was like driving a drump truck after a while... As a dd, you really begin to feel the weight and slow response of the truck. ... the "dead" or laggy throttle makes it even worse. Add LA traffic into the mix and nope... not a good time!

Obviously while towing, there wasnt much that could compare with that truck, but as a daily driver? Never again.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Disagree. My 2016 2500 cummins short bed crew cab was AWFUL to daily drive. That being said, i was putting about 300 miles a week on it for work and it was like driving a drump truck after a while... As a dd, you really begin to feel the weight and slow response of the truck. ... the "dead" or laggy throttle makes it even worse. Add LA traffic into the mix and nope... not a good time!

Obviously while towing, there wasnt much that could compare with that truck, but as a daily driver? Never again.
Must have either been the Cummins or LA.

My 2016 2500 with the Hemi was a pleasure to drive daily, even back when I was commuting just shy of 100 miles round-trip every day. But that was in Denver traffic, so definitely much less hectic.

I'm sure I'd enjoy it just as much in my 2020, but have only been to the office twice since I bought it.

jm888

Reaction score
I traded a 2019 1500 CC SB for a 2020 2500 CC SB. This is a much bigger truck when framed in how much extra space you have to give to the top of the garage door, side to side or length in parking spaces, getting in without steps etc. Adding 3 inches when you only have 4 to spare is a big difference. And I can tell you the automatic car wash leaves a skunk stripe on my hood because it can't reach like it did on the 1500.

What am I missing here? Looking at the specs, the 2500 crew cab standard bed is 238.8" long, 79.5" wide, and 80.2" high. The 1500 crew cab standard bed is 241.8" long, 82.1" wide, and 77.5" tall. First of all, I am surprised that the 2500 is shorter and narrower, although those differences seem negligible but in the favor of the 2500 for space. It is 3 inches taller though so I guess if your garage door height is already low, that could be a problem, but parking spaces shouldn't be any worse, should they?

LightRacer

Reaction score
Once you start talking about a 30' trailer you are probably in 2500 land. Next you say you will not tow often and mostly use the truck around town. Then you would be best to go with the 6.4 Hemi instead of the Cummins. The diesel is meant for towing heavy and often. They do not do well sitting unused or just as a grocery getter. The big Hemi would give you plenty of power, especially if you go with the 4.10 rear end. Lastly you talked about room. Check out the MegaCab. Back seat is even bigger than the front. I would also add that the ride in the 2500 is very good for an HD. And it gets even better if you go with the air suspension. Good Luck!
Good point on the Hemi. I was leaning that route too but then have had people tell me that I will get better mileage with the diesel. However, for the $10k difference in price, it will take forever to make up for it with the amount I would be driving! I don't really want a diesel anyways so you just helped confirm that it would not be good for my situation. Thank you.

Wondermutt

Reaction score
I purchased my 2500 Mega 6.7 with the intention of getting a travel trailer soon. Looks like that won’t happen now though we could rent one instead through RV Share.
I drive 90 highway miles round trip to work so it doesn’t really get used as a grocery getter. Have three growing teen boys hence the Mega.
I know it is overkill for me right now (feel like a poser sometimes) that I dont really use it as intended but I enjoy it. Love the power on hilly highway drives. Gets 19-20 mpg most weeks. All stock with Banks Monster Pedal.

Frank

Reaction score
What am I missing here? Looking at the specs, the 2500 crew cab standard bed is 238.8" long, 79.5" wide, and 80.2" high. The 1500 crew cab standard bed is 241.8" long, 82.1" wide, and 77.5" tall. First of all, I am surprised that the 2500 is shorter and narrower, although those differences seem negligible but in the favor of the 2500 for space. It is 3 inches taller though so I guess if your garage door height is already low, that could be a problem, but parking spaces shouldn't be any worse, should they?

All I can tell you is my experience. I don't know where the numbers came from but the 2500 is in no way, shape, or form smaller. I have much less room for error in parking spaces (left to right and I always stick out) and I had to go from a 2inch to an 8 inch drop shank because I couldn't even reach my camper's tongue fully extended when I first got the new truck. I backed half way into the garage to install my bed cover and I had 1/4 inch to spare at the clearance lights. Whatever source you are looking at...not what I am seeing in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread