Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a manual regen bypassing the exhaust injection an option?

FE427TP

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but why doesn't someone make a kit for a fuel injector you could mount in a weld in bung in the exhaust pipe before the DPF to bypass the exhaust stroke injector sequence? If the factory programming triggers an extra injection of diesel into the cylinder for an auto regen on every exhaust stroke at 47% full. Why not use a Pi or other mini computer and an auxiliary fuel pump to manually inject just enough diesel into the exhaust just in front of the DPF to generate enough heat for a "regen" that occurs before the automatic regen. Say at 44% fill? You're injecting it into the exhaust before the start of the factory sequence trying to get ahead of the factory "auto regen" that seems to be damaging engines through fuel dilution of the oil.

Is something like the Banks engine monitoring stuff able to see the right data to monitor it? Can you track the needed data via CanBus? CanBus is being used by aftermarket pseudo Raspberry Pi's for 3D printers and some have the chips to do CanBus right on the board so it should be able read the information if available with the right programming. In theory you could make it a standalone module/system you power by say an auxiliary switch and a tap into the CanBus system. Maybe even spoof the readings if there are O2 sensors on either side of the DPF for the sequence also if they would throw codes. (it's a new truck to me I haven't crawled under it yet just paranoid from reading the stories)

It wouldn't prevent a DPF from filling with ash. And in an engine with another problem it would probably make DPF replacement more frequent/likely if you are triggering a regen slightly earlier. But it would sure seem to prevent the more expensive fuel washdown damage to the engine.

Am I crazy or do I need to try to make it?

Is it plausible? Would you buy it if it was available to have regens other than the 24 hour timer based one happen outside of the engine?

flan

Reaction score
It’s a solution to a problem that shouldn’t exist. There are problem child trucks out there and then there are others that have never had a regen other then the 24hr timed one. Mines the latter, but I can sympathize with the people that have the trucks with no approved repair in sight. Anything can be done, I’d be interested in seeing your work!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The 7th injector is used on other machines it is not as good and they also have fuel dilution issues.

By doing it on the exhaust stroke you actually can build more heat and have a shorter regen so it is the better system

PRS

Reaction score
The 7th injector is used on other machines it is not as good and they also have fuel dilution issues.

By doing it on the exhaust stroke you actually can build more heat and have a shorter regen so it is the better system
Where is the 7th injector located? If it is after the turbo how does that contribute to oil dilution?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Where is the 7th injector located? If it is after the turbo how does that contribute to oil dilution?
They still change the injection on the engine where it will burn more fuel to up the EGTs which can lead to fuel dilution i have seen it on the industrial side

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
They still change the injection on the engine where it will burn more fuel to up the EGTs which can lead to fuel dilution i have seen it on the industrial side
I’ve wondered if the fuel dilution on these trucks comes from the lower pressure/retarded timing of the main event during regen, or the post-injection.

It’s likely both, but to what extent….

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I’ve wondered if the fuel dilution on these trucks comes from the lower pressure/retarded timing of the main event during regen, or the post-injection.

It’s likely both, but to what extent….
Likely not the post injection IMHO there is no pressure on the exhaust stroke the fuel has nothing keeping it from going directly out of the exhaust port so i have a very hard time believing fuel would be making it past the rings at that time

Users who are viewing this thread