Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interior rattles

RXBoost

Reaction score
I've got rattles in 3 locations inside my truck, and am wondering if they are common rattles or mostly unique to me?

1. At the base of the A pillar on the drivers side. Somewhere near the speaker grille. I can't pinpoint it and it feels like the wiper is attached solidly.
2. Wind noise on the latch side of the passenger front door. I think that the weatherstrip has a small gap in it causing the wind noise - is it possible to purchase just the vertical weatherstrip?
3. It seems like I am getting rattling out of my rear sliding window. If, when I hear it, I open the window slightly the noise goes away.

Chris1911

Reaction score
I am on my third Ram (second 2500) and they have all been pretty tight. No rattling problems. And i am very sensitive to things like that. I hate rattles.

My current truck does have a mild case of the cab mount rattle, but that's a different issue.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Two that I have found that were driving me nuts. Hopefully helps you.

1: driver side wiper. Sounded like a squeak in the dash, was actually the wiper mech. I was able to replicate the squeak i was hearing by pushing on the wiper as if it were vibrating. There is a (neoprene?) boot that covers the wiper shaft, I used silicone lubricant (tried others but that’s all that worked) and lubed that shaft up. Squeak fixed.

2: driver door window switch. Was loosey goosey and rattling over every bump in the road or every bass note through the speakers. I have shoved a business card under it for now to snug it up, I need to pull the door panel to perm fix it.

RXBoost

Reaction score
Two that I have found that were driving me nuts. Hopefully helps you.

1: driver side wiper. Sounded like a squeak in the dash, was actually the wiper mech. I was able to replicate the squeak i was hearing by pushing on the wiper as if it were vibrating. There is a (neoprene?) boot that covers the wiper shaft, I used silicone lubricant (tried others but that’s all that worked) and lubed that shaft up. Squeak fixed.

2: driver door window switch. Was loosey goosey and rattling over every bump in the road or every bass note through the speakers. I have shoved a business card under it for now to snug it up, I need to pull the door panel to perm fix it.
Did the wiper rattle sound like it was just right of the front left dash speaker? I suppose that lines up with the wiper pretty well actually. It doesnt matter what speed I am going, even at a crawl, but as long as I am moving I get that rattle. Did yours depend upon speed?

I spent probably 2 hours yesterday trying to do things with the dash and came up with nothing.

I also wrapped the water line for the window washers in foam because I thought they were hitting the hood and that fixed nothing.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Cab noises (rattles,squeaks,creaks) bother me to no end, my wife just tells me to just turn up the radio but i can never let it go haha. I found the best cure for noises is adhesive foam sheets. I can cut them to size and sandwich them between panels and tight spaces, and being adhesive backed they stay in place. I get them from arts and crafts stores for less than a $1 a sheet. Recently used it for the 12in screen (wedged a small piece between the housing and the dash to get rid of a creak since the tolerance was super tight).

2ADD4288-B16E-4CC8-97DF-15AA716AB8E0.jpeg

RXBoost

Reaction score
Cab noises (rattles,squeaks,creaks) bother me to no end, my wife just tells me to just turn up the radio but i can never let it go haha. I found the best cure for noises is adhesive foam sheets. I can cut them to size and sandwich them between panels and tight spaces, and being adhesive backed they stay in place. I get them from arts and crafts stores for less than a $1 a sheet. Recently used it for the 12in screen (wedged a small piece between the housing and the dash to get rid of a creak since the tolerance was super tight).

View attachment 21233
I have tried using stuff like that in the past and it works great - but for the dash rattle I can't locate exactly where it is in order to put some foam. I tried a strip of foam backer rod between the windshield and dash and that wasnt it either. I will revisit the driver side wiper possibly being the culprit, its just weird to me that I get the rattle no matter what speed I am going.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Did the wiper rattle sound like it was just right of the front left dash speaker? I suppose that lines up with the wiper pretty well actually. It doesnt matter what speed I am going, even at a crawl, but as long as I am moving I get that rattle. Did yours depend upon speed?

I spent probably 2 hours yesterday trying to do things with the dash and came up with nothing.

I also wrapped the water line for the window washers in foam because I thought they were hitting the hood and that fixed nothing.
Yea it sounded like a driver side dash squeak. I was able to replicate and therefore eliminate the noise by wiggling/ pushing down on the wiper shaft. I lubed it first with wd40 that lasted about 3 days. Silicone spray has been 6 months strong, at least, so far.

RXBoost

Reaction score
Yea it sounded like a driver side dash squeak. I was able to replicate and therefore eliminate the noise by wiggling/ pushing down on the wiper shaft. I lubed it first with wd40 that lasted about 3 days. Silicone spray has been 6 months strong, at least, so far.
Did you put the silicone on top of the "shaft"? I sprayed some there and where it meets the rubber boot. I guess I am not sure exactly what it is lubricating though.

I also noticed that the windshield spacer in this location had some glue that had deteriorated. Im not sure what to do about that, if anything.

If I knew how, I would probably remove the wiper arms, take the cowl off, and double check everything, since its pretty hard to do without the cowl removed.

Attachments

• IMG_20210831_123615~2.jpg
    IMG_20210831_123615~2.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 49

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Does your wiper squeak? There is also a TSB on loose wipers. That’s why I checked mine.

But to answer, I sprayed under that boot. The boot/skirt is only slightly larger circumference than the hole in the cowl. You can get a spray straw under it

12_cummins

Reaction score

View attachment 21233

I too tend to hear every little noise and it drives me nuts! My '21 Laramie with full center console has started making noise in the console somewhere. I cannot figure out if it is the cup holder assembly, the console itself, or where to console meets the dash. I may have to get some of these foam pads and see if I can eliminate the noises.

Much2fast

Reaction score
I too tend to hear every little noise and it drives me nuts! My '21 Laramie with full center console has started making noise in the console somewhere. I cannot figure out if it is the cup holder assembly, the console itself, or where to console meets the dash. I may have to get some of these foam pads and see if I can eliminate the noises.
Yes my 21 Limited center console is making some rattling noises when hitting bumps, drives me crazy. Have not been able to pinpoint it yet.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
When the noise happens try pushing on the bezel area circled below, thats where i found my noise.
0802923F-3010-4BC0-A314-C0D29BDB6E15.jpeg

joelp

Reaction score
Old thread, but has anyone experienced a ticking or cracking sound on their dash? i have 19 laramie and it sounds like that center HK speaker is moving ever so slightly somehow to create a ticking or cracking noise as i go over small bumps. has always been there, but it's starting to really bother me. the craft foam is a good idea, just not sure if theres any solution that's speaker specific.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
How did you fix?
Seams the bevel surround squeak like crazy, but when I apply pressure to the top seams to stop. Lots of flex in the plastic.
Drives me nuts.
I pulled the bezel and i cut up some self adhesive foam sheets into small strips and put behind it where it meets the dash. If you scroll up to my post #5 you can see the foam i used.

Chrisr813

Reaction score
When the noise happens try pushing on the bezel area circled below, thats where i found my noise.
View attachment 23823
Fishnerd, thanks for the post. I have the same rattle. Did you remove the entire screen set up or just the thin black bezel that goes around screen. I want to just pull the black bezel but I don’t know if it’s removable. My luck I’ll break it and have to buy a new uconnect, lol. Thanks!

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Fishnerd, thanks for the post. I have the same rattle. Did you remove the entire screen set up or just the thin black bezel that goes around screen. I want to just pull the black bezel but I don’t know if it’s removable. My luck I’ll break it and have to buy a new uconnect, lol. Thanks!
I pulled the whole thing, but i was installing something else so i had to anyways. Here is a good vid on disassembly:

Users who are viewing this thread