Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

insurance in california

jeepster39

Reaction score
hi everyone , i live in california am desparately trying to find full coverage insurance cant find a insurance company to do so they only offer liabilty.....let me explain my situtation i cosigned for the truck for my son he can no longer make the payments son i took possesion of the truck...its a 2017 ram tradesman 3500 dually crew cab diesel 4x4 dont know too much about the truck ..i've been on the phone trying to find full coverage insurance here in california with no luck !! very frustrating almost 5 hours trying also online ..truck is not gonna be used commerically so i dont want commerical insurance , seems like what all the insurance companys here in california want that route!!( freaking california laws sure havesomething to do with it) any members here in california that have same kinda of model please reach out to let me know where you got your insurance..the insurance my son had wont redo the insurance in my name !! i have no accidents or tickets...any help will be so greatly appreciated ..

Big M

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2023 Bighorn dually diesel 4X4, we have insurance through AAA, and hadn't any trouble adding it to our current policy. I wonder if your insurance company is assuming it's being used for commercial purposes?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Was gonna say try AAA.
I had issues years ago when we bought a house. Some woukd do house but no vechiles. Others just the opposite. Then when I got a bike, had to have it separate from the cars/trucks.
AAA covered everything. But lately, they've gotten lazy and I had to do a lot of the leg work for a claim.

But I no longer have any of those issues as I moved back to Free America. :cool:

Good luck.

tchur1

Reaction score
I use USAA and have had no issues insuring my 3500.

Ostracize

Reaction score
hi everyone , i live in california am desparately trying to find full coverage insurance cant find a insurance company to do so they only offer liabilty.....let me explain my situtation i cosigned for the truck for my son he can no longer make the payments son i took possesion of the truck...its a 2017 ram tradesman 3500 dually crew cab diesel 4x4 dont know too much about the truck ..i've been on the phone trying to find full coverage insurance here in california with no luck !! very frustrating almost 5 hours trying also online ..truck is not gonna be used commerically so i dont want commerical insurance , seems like what all the insurance companys here in california want that route!!( freaking california laws sure havesomething to do with it) any members here in california that have same kinda of model please reach out to let me know where you got your insurance..the insurance my son had wont redo the insurance in my name !! i have no accidents or tickets...any help will be so greatly appreciated ..
Okay so I went down a rabbit hole and here's what I found. In California pick up trucks with a GVWR of 11, 500 or less are considered pickups and non-commercial. Yours however is a dually and has a higher GVWR and unladened curb weight. So basically the great state of California deems that vehicle as a commercial vehicle as far as registration goes and it seems because insurance companies now have to directly report to California DMV Insurance status digitally it basically forces them to force commercial coverage without regard for actual use. Instead they seem to just insure for what the state defines the vehicle as regardless of actual use. Obviously this is just my non-legal non lawyer interpretation but it does seem to be backed up by everything I could find about California pick up truck registration and insurance.

Nick

Reaction score
For registration purposes California considers all 1 ton SRW and Dullies commercial vehicles commercial . Maybe 3/4 also .Nothing but scumbag robbers and thieves !

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
ALL trucks in Kommieforina are registered as commercial. Even my little Toyota Taco I had was tagged commercial.
Only way to get non comerical tags is to attach a shell on the bed and ask permission.
But then, if you get caught hauling anything in the bed under the shell, you get a big ticket and fine.
AND since it's commercial, you get to pay a weight fee.

Yea, I've owned a few trucks in Kali, everything from a Taco to a 3/4 ton. All were regestred as commercial and I had to pay a weight fee.
My 21 Power Wagon was $1000 for regestration.
In Nevada where I moved, $500.

tchur1

Reaction score
ALL trucks in Kommieforina are registered as commercial. Even my little Toyota Taco I had was tagged commercial.
Only way to get non comerical tags is to attach a shell on the bed and ask permission.
But then, if you get caught hauling anything in the bed under the shell, you get a big ticket and fine.
AND since it's commercial, you get to pay a weight fee.

Yea, I've owned a few trucks in Kali, everything from a Taco to a 3/4 ton. All were regestred as commercial and I had to pay a weight fee.
My 21 Power Wagon was $1000 for regestration.
In Nevada where I moved, $500.
Can confirm the weight fee sucks. My truck is usually about $1100 a year to register.

that said i dont have a commercial policy on it. Just a regular auto policy. When I registered it I needed a weight ticket but was able to declare that it was for personal/non commercial work and have had no issues since.

Im A bit ignorant to the specific regulations but I do know I carry a personal auto policy for this 3500 and had no issues getting it.

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
As mentioned above all trucks are registered as commercial in California. Mid size up to 1 ton trucks. The question with insurance is if using the truck as personal or commercial. Also like stated above you can place a camper shell on your truck to make it noncommercial, but don’t get caught hauling anything in the bed.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Not that I disgaree with any statements made, but please don't go down the politics rabbit hole - just stick to the OP question.

Reaction score
I live In Northern California and just brought home my new 2023 Laramie 2500 MegaCab. I‘ve been a member of AAA for about 30 years and had no problem insuring it.

mkmsr

Reaction score
If you are going to be stuck with high registration fees and commercial insurance the question I would have is do you need or even want a dually? If not it might be best to just sell it. Even if you lose money because it won't take long for the reg and insurance to cost you that amount or even more plus tires, breaks, maintenance costs on a dually. Being a diesel dually you can probably sell it quickly on autotrader or trucktrader.
Let us know what you figure out.

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
I got new credit card number due to fraudulent activity and neglected to update my autopay with Mercury. They immediately dropped me when it didn't go through. Zero grace period, and wouldn't reinstate. I called up AAA and signed up immediately for less. I was with Mercury for 15 years.

Users who are viewing this thread