Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inflating tires ... yes really!

Southernspeed

Reaction score
I never thought I'd be asking advice on inflating my tires! 2021 dually. Those pesky capless valve stem things... I really struggle to adjust my tire pressure today. I let air out in '21 when I bought the truck as it had the factory 450 psi all around but I've never had to fill them, until now. I did manage to do it but those things really messed me about, they just wouldn't press on the valve core enough.
Is there a better alternative for the dual rears? Or maybe you have an inflator that works ok with them?

wrvond

Reaction score
There are basically two styles of air chuck this first kind never worked for me:
IMG_0189.jpeg
This second style worked very well, though sometimes I had to reach in and press the chuck onto the pass through cap rather than just pulling it down on it. It was really a matter of where the stem was positioned - down below 3 and 9 o’clock was easy above that was hard.

IMG_0188.jpeg
Resist the temptation to remove the caps entirely. I ran like that for a while and had a core corrode through. There I was with low air and a broken valve core. It’s never at a convenient time.

Southernspeed

Reaction score
There are basically two styles of air chuck this first kind never worked for me:
View attachment 64368
This second style worked very well, though sometimes I had to reach in and press the chuck onto the pass through cap rather than just pulling it down on it. It was really a matter of where the stem was positioned - down below 3 and 9 o’clock was easy above that was hard.

View attachment 64369
Resist the temptation to remove the caps entirely. I ran like that for a while and had a core corrode through. There I was with low air and a broken valve core. It’s never at a convenient time.
I have two similar to those, good brands but must be 2-30 years old now. For some reason they just didn't seem to be pushing the pass through (I was wondering what to call them, thanks!) in enough to operate the valve core.

wrvond

Reaction score
I’ve tried a few different ones but have never had a problem like that. What I did have was some are “pointier” than others. I had a harder time getting the “pointy” ones to seal to the chuck than the ”flatter” style. The flat style were probably shorter as well...

Users who are viewing this thread