Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In the governments attempt at green.

• Thread starter Deleted member 21465
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

flan

Reaction score
MMA is saying if you put 35’s on your truck and the rear end blows up its up to the dealer to prove the tires were at fault. The manufacturer usually wins that battle because they have a lot deeper pockets if the vehicle owner decides to take it to court. MMA is just some feel good legislation aftermarket companies love to quote so they can sell more products to owners that have a warm fuzzy feeling if something goes wrong they are covered.

Safety recalls are a whole ‘nother level.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
MMA is saying if you put 35’s on your truck and the rear end blows up its up to the dealer to prove the tires were at fault. The manufacturer usually wins that battle because they have a lot deeper pockets if the vehicle owner decides to take it to court. MMA is just some feel good legislation aftermarket companies love to quote so they can sell more products to owners that have a warm fuzzy feeling if something goes wrong they are covered.

Im just going by the 6 different people i talked to between the dealers and FCA Canada so for me its not worth the fight to get the recall done after deleteing i will just wait the month or so till they preform the recall then delete it

Darmichar

Reaction score
Aftertreatment or not, continuing to drive that truck the way you are is going to lead to core engine issues down the road.
That engine needs to be loaded occasionally and worked to keep the cylinders in good shape.
Without it, eventually you're going to start seeing blowby and compression issues from carbon sticking the rings in the pistons.

D

Deleted member 21465

2 very different scenarios also you americans have the MMA to protect you we dont in canada so you may be fine
While your laws may be different I will try to explain something simple to you.

Those big buildings, flag poles and yes if they put up balloons on the weekends all cost money, a lot of money. I haven't priced an injection pump but I'm betting the pump even at cost with the flash and the service associated with it is probably north of $1,000 easily to the dealer. There was a day 50 years ago that new car sales paced or out performed service. Those days are long gone, with the exception of the last year when dealers didn't have to discount the cars as much as supply and demand took over the service departments now double what the sales departments make at most dealerships. If you haven't figured it out dealers are profit motivated they have no desire to turn away paying work. No dealer is going to kick a $1,000 repair to the curb unless they feel greater issues will result from the repair. A dealer with a 200-300 car inventory or what is called a 90 day supply on average will make about $250,000 - $500,000 on the front end but the same dealer if the service department is run correctly will make $500,000 - $1,000,000 the same month. Usually the service departments depending on the locations are very warranty heavy. Remember, warranty is the bread and butter. Recalls can be big money for a dealer if the parts are expensive. Not sure what the markup is now but for years the parts department was allowed 10% on warranty parts. When the pumps become available you can look for dealers to compete for your business as much as possible. If you didn't know FCA runs territory's, meaning a dealer from another location farther from me isn't allowed to send me advertisement to protect a dealers area. Usually that menas even if you live in a large metro area you will never receive more than three different advertisements and the dealer you purchased from if in your area will be the one to send recall notices.

And all of that doesn't change that now I must plan a 60-120 mile drive about every fifth week to get my truck to regenerate. :)

D

Deleted member 21465

Aftertreatment or not, continuing to drive that truck the way you are is going to lead to core engine issues down the road.
That engine needs to be loaded occasionally and worked to keep the cylinders in good shape.
Without it, eventually you're going to start seeing blowby and compression issues from carbon sticking the rings in the pistons.
I guess my response would be why do they use the 6.7 in large commercial generators that idle for days at a time? :)

Darmichar

Reaction score
I guess my response would be why do they use the 6.7 in large commercial generators that idle for days at a time? :)
Because when that generator is loaded, it's usually loaded to close to 80%-90% load. Overall, as long as the average load on the engine stays somewhere above 30%, the core engine will remain healthy.
Drive your truck the way you want, but I deal with this on a daily basis and can tell you first hand the issues you are going to see if you drive this truck like a car.

D

Deleted member 21465

Because when that generator is loaded, it's usually loaded to close to 80%-90% load. Overall, as long as the average load on the engine stays somewhere above 30%, the core engine will remain healthy.
Drive your truck the way you want, but I deal with this on a daily basis and can tell you first hand the issues you are going to see if you drive this truck like a car.
So in your opinion driving an 8,000 pound truck doesn't use the engine at 30%? Never did I say I drove it like a car, if you go back and read on occasion I move my tractor and pull my horse trailer. Not to mention if you never have pulled tree stumps not only is a gas engine lacking but you need a truck with some weight to it. This is my third Cummins and I had Isuzu (duramax) prior to that. Never have I had an engine problem of any kind out of any of my trucks.

NightTrain

Reaction score
You’re talking about your own personal use and the issues you’re seeing. The vast majority, especially in the commercial sector, “work” their trucks and the emission systems work as they’re supposed to. So the government’s regulations when it comes to emissions may not be suited for your needs but as a whole it is working as intended.

Darmichar

Reaction score
So in your opinion driving an 8,000 pound truck doesn't use the engine at 30%? Never did I say I drove it like a car, if you go back and read on occasion I move my tractor and pull my horse trailer. Not to mention if you never have pulled tree stumps not only is a gas engine lacking but you need a truck with some weight to it. This is my third Cummins and I had Isuzu (duramax) prior to that. Never have I had an engine problem of any kind out of any of my trucks.
I did read your posts. I read where you stated plainly now that you've retired the truck only gets driven to town twice a week for about 28 miles worth of driving. I also saw a brief reference to moving a tractor and pulling a stump.
It's your truck, drive it the way you want to. I explained to you why that's probably not good for the core engine itself, aftertreatment or not. Do with that information what you will. It's clear you came here to complain, not for advice.

D

Deleted member 21465

You’re talking about your own personal use and the issues you’re seeing. The vast majority, especially in the commercial sector, “work” their trucks and the emission systems work as they’re supposed to. So the government’s regulations when it comes to emissions may not be suited for your needs but as a whole it is working as intended.
I'm going to venture a guess that less than 20% of these trucks are sold to commercial enterprises. It seems the vast majority are sold to people that pull a fifth wheel or trailer on a rare occasion. I live in an area where there are about 20 homes in a two square mile area, I'm willing to bet that like myself most are retired and 60% of the homes have a diesel pickup truck in the drive ways. I've never done a fifth wheel but had a 45ft pusher for years that I sold a couple of years ago.

NightTrain

Reaction score
I'm going to venture a guess that less than 20% of these trucks are sold to commercial enterprises. It seems the vast majority are sold to people that pull a fifth wheel or trailer on a rare occasion. I live in an area where there are about 20 homes in a two square mile area, I'm willing to bet that like myself most are retired and 60% of the homes have a diesel pickup truck in the drive ways. I've never done a fifth wheel but had a 45ft pusher for years that I sold a couple of years ago.
You may be correct when looking at pickup sales but take into consideration all the class 8 trucks on the road.

HDRAM2020

Reaction score
I have 2020 3500 SRW 4x4 I drive 50 miles a day to work and back and mostly Interstate. I see mine regening more often after the weekend if I am just going around town. I have 43000 miles on it now and I see where it seems like it regens more. I understand the regeneration process for I am a heavy equipment mechanic, therefore with the tier 4 hybrid and full tier 4 idling is the death of any diesel, power units IE: pumps generators etc. that don't maintain 1600 RPM will go into derate because of building up to much soot and then after regen leaving the ash level higher to a point that it regens more often. My father always told me diesels are made to run wide open also he told me diesels burn cleaner than gas at high rpms( unknown if that's true). Boats that can run at high speeds have issues because of going to slow and get maybe 5 to 700 hours out of the engine, trawlers that only run 10 or 11 knots will get 15000 hours out of them, because they can run almost full throttle all the time. So using a diesel with variable throttle has always been a high carbon high soot problems. Ok so going back to the DPFs on our trucks is more of a sensor and expensive parts cost when they go bad. And it sucks fuel when regening. is it right for government to change , I don't know. But what I do know it's like everything else there a pain and expensive to repair. My 2 cents worth, our lives are changing everyday, either we cope with it or let it piss us off to a point it's just not worth it to me anymore to worry about some of this stuff, I can't fix it. I'm 65 I just want to move on.

D

Deleted member 21465

I couldn't imagine a dealer winning that lawsuit in court should you take them to court. Proving an oversize tire caused the failure would be very difficult to do. In fact you could find hundreds if not thousands to testify they had the same tires with hundreds of thousands of miles without issue to set a precedence. The courts don't rule the way you would think. When they say prove something caused the issue you have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the modification caused the issue. I remember in 1990 Mercedes declined an engine repair on an SL450 that the owner installed NOS and the bottom end came out of the engine. They took Mercedes to court and even though the NOS bottle was still in the trunk and the injector plate was still affixed to the intake the Judge ruled it could not be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the NOS was the only cause. Mercedes lost the case and paid the man a hefty penalty and then fixed his car. In the end the total cost to Mercedes was over $100,000 and that's before we had the inflation we have now.

When someone says the manufacture has deep pockets and will fight things I will say that they do have a legal team. They look at the cost of each suit, right or wrong most of their decisions are based on cost. Rarely do they dig in their heels for spite. When talking about the tires, look how many dealers put on 35 inch tires, wheels and lift kits to sell trucks! What many don't know is when they audit a dealer how much goodwill a dealer has given is also considered. If your dealer has a clean record and hasn't been caught fudging on any warranty or other issues usually the service director has the authority without calling the factory to goodwill many repairs up to 60k miles no questions ask. Now for cosmetic scratches, nicks and other issues they don't get that discretion.

Last edited by a moderator:

flan

Reaction score
I couldn't imagine a dealer winning that lawsuit in court should you take them to court. Proving an oversize tire caused the failure would be very difficult to do. In fact you could find hundreds if not thousands to testify they had the same tires with hundreds of thousands of miles without issue to set a precedence. The courts don't rule the way you would think. When they say prove something caused the issue you have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the modification caused the issue. I remember in 1990 Mercedes declined an engine repair on an SL450 that the owner installed NOS and the bottom end came out of the engine. They took Mercedes to court and even though the NOS bottle was still in the trunk and the injector plate was still affixed to the intake the Judge ruled it could not be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the NOS was the only cause. Mercedes lost the case and paid the man a hefty penalty and then fixed his car. In the end the total cost to Mercedes was over $100,000 and that's before we had the inflation we have now.
Dealers don’t void your warranty manufacturers do. You will be up against FCA or any other company and it won’t be cheap.

D

Deleted member 21465

Dealers don’t void your warranty manufacturers do. You will be up against FCA or any other company and it won’t be cheap.
The manufacture hasn't seen your truck. If you get a voided warranty it was the result of a dealer. Just saying. After 45 years in the automotive business I can count on one hand the number of voided warranties I have seen.

D

Deleted member 21465

This thread some how got way off track from people that didn't understand the point or people trying to project their narrow view on me. I thought it was time to lighten the thread up with some photos of some WWII luger pistols. Oh if your dealer doesn't respond to you well, next time you take your truck in for service stop and get a couple dozen doughnuts. You would be amazed what treating the dealership personal with respect does for the service.

IMG_9446.jpg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This thread some how got way off track from people that didn't understand the point or people trying to project their narrow view on me. I thought it was time to lighten the thread up with some photos of some WWII luger pistols. Oh if your dealer doesn't respond to you well, next time you take your truck in for service stop and get a couple dozen doughnuts. You would be amazed what treating the dealership personal with respect does for the service.
I paid them 82k for a truck thats plenty of incentive for them to preform service properly…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread