Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impact Driver for lug nuts

Dieseldan723

Reaction score
We are getting ready for a cross country drive and I wanted to make sure I have tools for simple things like changing a tire if needed. I have a 1/4 Milwaukie impact driver and sockets, however I wonder if it's too small for the lug nuts on my 3500. I'm always looking for an excuse to buy more tools, however this will be an expensive trip with diesel prices where they are today, so if I can get by with this, that would be great.

Thoughts?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Impact driver wont cut it you need a 3/8 or preferably the 1/2” drive, you may get a couple of nuts off with the impact driver but you are very likely to snap the socket adapter trying

Jsboening

Reaction score
My Milwaukee m12 3/8 impact will just get off my lug nuts. You will have to work at em and if the wheels were put on by a tire store @ a million ft/lbs forget about it. For Christmas my son bought me a m12 impact ratchet in 3/8 drive. It works really good for removing lug nuts because you can use it manually if the nuts are on super tight.

jbncccb

Reaction score
I have the Ryobi 1/2 impact. It will bust some nuts!! Took my suspension nuts off with no problem.
437a6c422c99d50642323e3753f89636.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Dieseldan723

Reaction score
Oh yea that wont cut it at all i assumed you had one of the FUEL brushless ones…. Any m18 tools you buy id suggest you get the fuel line
Great, thanks! Yes, this is the FUEL brushless. I didn't pay too much attention to the differences in the past, but will look at the fuel line next time.

jebruns

Reaction score
If the batteries you have now work on a larger Milwaukee tool, go that way. You can even find bare tools (no battery) for cheaper.

But if they don't, there are a lot of great choices out there for high powered battery operated torque wrenches. And lots of Youtube comparisons to look at. I have Ingersoll Rand and Dewalt high powered ones, but both are probably overkill for a pickup tire. One thing to know is that none of the bigger battery impacts come close to hitting their advertised torque numbers, as you'll learn in the Youtube reviews.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If the batteries you have now work on a larger Milwaukee tool, go that way. You can even find bare tools (no battery) for cheaper.

But if they don't, there are a lot of great choices out there for high powered battery operated torque wrenches. And lots of Youtube comparisons to look at. I have Ingersoll Rand and Dewalt high powered ones, but both are probably overkill for a pickup tire. One thing to know is that none of the bigger battery impacts come close to hitting their advertised torque numbers, as you'll learn in the Youtube reviews.
Milwaukee does and it has been proven

CdnHO

Reaction score
You need the Milwaukee M18 1/2 inch with a good impact socket. Pricey but that baby rocks. I keep mine in the RV. My trailer nuts are torqued at 225 lb/ft and the truck is torqued to 129 lb/ft. As indicated by previous posters, anything less just won't cut it.shopping.png

Last edited:

jebruns

Reaction score
Milwaukee does and it has been proven
Links? I've never seen any of them come close to their specs, and I've watched a ton of reviews on them. Like this one:

No insult to any particular brand. They all do it.

RamItHome

Reaction score
That picture is an impact driver. You are looking for an impact wrench. I have a ton of m12 and m18 fuel tools. I would recommend the m18 mid torque gen 2 impact wrench. 2962-20 is the 1/2" friction ring model. Great all around wrench for most people's needs on a HD truck.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Links? I've never seen any of them come close to their specs, and I've watched a ton of reviews on them. Like this one:

No insult to any particular brand. They all do it.
The ones i saw were when it first came out doubt i could find them now but any how the guy was a snap on dealer trying to prove it was not that strong so he torqued a bolt to 1400ft lbs using a tq multiplier then went to town trying to remove it, after about 30 seconds of hammering it came off…. It also depends on the battery you use when i use my 12ah battery it is just un real compared to the 5ah it came with

Users who are viewing this thread