Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idle Time? What is considered excessive?

RHINO69

Reaction score
Soon to be a new PW owner, just placed my order today. Coming over from Toyota (4Runner). Been doing research on these ever since I test drove one about 8 months ago. Something I've seen quite a bit is to not let these engines idle "excessively". My question is, what is consider excessive? With having remote start, I'd sure hope 10-15 minutes daily, for a morning warm up is not considered excessive.

If anyone has any other helpful tips on proper routine maintenance, I am all ears. Coming from Toyota, I know I am in for a different world with this beast. I just want to be sure I am ready for it. TIA!

el_barto

Reaction score
Using the remote start Once a day isn’t excessive. Work trucks that sit on construction sites idling for 4+ hours a day is excessive.

jadmt

Reaction score
Owners manual is available online. Gives an oil change interval based on idle hours.

jadmt

Reaction score
The EVIC will give you more an accurate oilchange time line
yes it is all covered in the owners manual. one thing that I did not realize is that using E85 is a factor. I guess that is one reason not to use E85.. one thing I have noticed is my evic oil live percentage is not as accurate as one would think based on taking long road trips. I took a 4000 mile road trip and the first 2000 miles my percentage dropped fast and the second 2000 miles it hardly dropped at all and this was all the same conditions and speeds. ie first 2000 miles it dropped like to like 60% of oil life left so I figured I would have 20% when I got home but I had about 40%. no idling on this trip at all.

SCHEDULED SERVICING — GAS ENGINE
Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures, and E85 fuel usage will influence when the “Oil Change Required” message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).
An authorized dealer will reset the oil change indicator message after completing the scheduled oil change.
If a scheduled oil change is performed by someone other than an authorized dealer, the message can be reset by referring to the steps described under “Instrument Cluster Display” in “Getting To Know Your Instrument Panel”.
NOTE:
Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13,000 km),
12 months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet customers.
Severe Duty All Models
NOTE:
Change Engine Oil at 4,000 miles (6,500 km) or 350 hours of engine run time if the vehicle is operated in a dusty and off road environment or is operated predominantly at idle, or only very low engine RPM. This type of vehicle use is considered Severe Duty.
Once A Month Or Before A Long Trip:
 Check engine oil level
 Check windshield washer fluid level
 Check tire pressure and look for unusual wear or damage. Rotate tires at the first sign of irreg- ular wear, even if it occurs before the oil indi- cator system turns on.
 Check the fluid levels of the coolant reservoir, brake master cylinder, power steering and auto- matic transmission (six-speed only) and fill as needed
 Check function of all interior and exterior lights

jadmt

Reaction score
Soon to be a new PW owner, just placed my order today. Coming over from Toyota (4Runner). Been doing research on these ever since I test drove one about 8 months ago. Something I've seen quite a bit is to not let these engines idle "excessively". My question is, what is consider excessive? With having remote start, I'd sure hope 10-15 minutes daily, for a morning warm up is not considered excessive.

If anyone has any other helpful tips on proper routine maintenance, I am all ears. Coming from Toyota, I know I am in for a different world with this beast. I just want to be sure I am ready for it. TIA!
you can download the owners manual online so when it gets here you can explain all the features to the salesman, which is always fun to do. Many power wagon owners post that their dealer has not installed the winch line or have installed it in-properly so check for that.

Reaction score

BE PREPARE, It’s gonna be 5 ( + or - ) months before you see the truck. Just went through it 2times.
gas engine starts to build cyl. Temp. INSTANTLY. 3 to 5min. Would be NORMAL. a Diesel will take longer
and the timer will run out in 15min. On both. ENJOY YOUR NEW TOY. They are a neat ride.

HW285PW

Reaction score
I have a 20’ PW with just over 30,000 miles on it. My idle is 506 and drive 847 which is very excessive. I keep up on the services and haven’t had any issues.
You have to think about the construction/fleet vehicles, law enforcement, fire departments, game wardens, they’re all some of the highest idle hours you’ll see out there with regular service hours and really no issues for the most part. Just drive it and use it as you would normally! They’re great vehicles.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
BE PREPARE, It’s gonna be 5 ( + or - ) months before you see the truck. Just went through it 2times.
gas engine starts to build cyl. Temp. INSTANTLY. 3 to 5min. Would be NORMAL. a Diesel will take longer
and the timer will run out in 15min. On both. ENJOY YOUR NEW TOY. They are a neat ride.
Idk where the hell you live but even in a gasser 3-5 mins wont move the temp gauge here and my 19 cummins warms up faster than my neighbors 19 3500 hemi as the diesel has the highidle with EB which creates a load to warm up really quick

jetrinka

Reaction score
Idk where the hell you live but even in a gasser 3-5 mins wont move the temp gauge here and my 19 cummins warms up faster than my neighbors 19 3500 hemi as the diesel has the highidle with EB which creates a load to warm up really quick

5 minutes of cold idle (30ish degrees outside) gets my Hemi up to about 120-130 coolant temp. Oil temp lower. Equalizes with some driving

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
5 minutes of cold idle (30ish degrees outside) gets my Hemi up to about 120-130 coolant temp. Oil temp lower. Equalizes with some driving
Yea thats not enough time here at -40 i let my truck run 8 mins this morning and coolant temps was at 170 my neighbor has to idle at minimum for a full cycle (15mins) to hit 130…. When the diesel idles up and drops the engine brake on it will heat up faster but if they are both straight idling the hemi would heat faster

OuterUB

Reaction score
What about using the block heater ? This will reduce warmup time in the morning.

Has anybody ever calculated the kW usage of the block heater and associated cost and compared it to fuel burned while idling and its associated cost ?

If it's close enough it'd be a nice way to reduce idle hours .....

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What about using the block heater ? This will reduce warmup time in the morning.

Has anybody ever calculated the kW usage of the block heater and associated cost and compared it to fuel burned while idling and its associated cost ?

If it's close enough it'd be a nice way to reduce idle hours .....
It wont really reduce idle hours much depending where you are in the world but it helps protect the engine from damage in extreme cold i dont really use it in temps above -10°C but anything below i do for the new truck, a buddy of mine didnt plug his turd of a ferd in at -40 and he spun a bearing so the cost of not using it can be quite expensive

Last edited:

OuterUB

Reaction score
It wont really reduce idle hours much depending where you are in the world but it helps protect the engine from damage in extreme cold i dont really use it in temps above -10°C but anything below i do for the new truck, a buddy of mine didnt plug his in at -40 and he spun a bearing so the cost of not using it can be quite expensive
Wowwwww... That ALONE is enough to make you want to use the heater!

JamesEvan

Reaction score

Have some friends at a performance shop that specialize in Hemi's and from what I was able to gather the lifters can suffer from oil starvation at idle by design. No real estimate in terms of mileage of when this can occur, they have seem some as low as 4K and as high as 100K. Once a lifter fails it essentially chews up a cam lobe and the metal circulates through the engine if not caught. There are some MDS delete kits out there, but most folks hold out till after warranty incl myself before going that route. One thing you could do to give yourself some flex in the game if a problem does arise is do oil analysis and trend it over time.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Have some friends at a performance shop that specialize in Hemi's and from what I was able to gather the lifters can suffer from oil starvation at idle by design. No real estimate in terms of mileage of when this can occur, they have seem some as low as 4K and as high as 100K. Once a lifter fails it essentially chews up a cam lobe and the metal circulates through the engine if not caught. There are some MDS delete kits out there, but most folks hold out till after warranty incl myself before going that route. One thing you could do to give yourself some flex in the game if a problem does arise is do oil analysis and trend it over time.

This can happen with the 5.7 as well. Part of the reason I sold mine around 110k miles. It was getting a nice lifter knock and metal in the oil. This was with having MDS disabled since 18k as well.

el_barto

Reaction score
This can happen with the 5.7 as well. Part of the reason I sold mine around 110k miles. It was getting a nice lifter knock and metal in the oil. This was with having MDS disabled since 18k as well.
I have ONLY heard of it on 5.7s…I haven’t heard it happening on 6.4s, but I haven’t looked too much into it

Users who are viewing this thread