Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idle Surging

cmc76

Reaction score
I did some searching through the forum and on Google as well. And while i found allot of sort of similar questions, mine has some subtleties so i figured i would post it up and see what you guys think.

2020 2500- just rolled about 51,000 miles. For about 6-8 weeks now i am getting a slight idle surge. especially when cold as we are not seeing some temps in the 20s. The truck is tuned from Calibrated Power. I generally keep it in the street setting, and now that i am typing this i should maybe put it back to modified stock for a few days and monitor. I am also due for fuel filter service again. In addition, i have not had the most recent DEF recall performed because i was to lazy to pull the tunes last time i went in for an oil change. When i had the tune done, i did call into the dealer because the tuner needed to now if the lift pump replacement had been done, the service manager told me it had. Short of that the truck runs and drives great. the surging when cold or at idle isnt even enough to bump the tach. but i can hear and feel it.

I am answering a few of my own questions as i type this out. I should get the filters and DEF recall done and probably see how that does. Just wondering if anyone has witnessed a surge this slight and sorted it out?

jkempken

Reaction score
I did some searching through the forum and on Google as well. And while i found allot of sort of similar questions, mine has some subtleties so i figured i would post it up and see what you guys think.

2020 2500- just rolled about 51,000 miles. For about 6-8 weeks now i am getting a slight idle surge. especially when cold as we are not seeing some temps in the 20s. The truck is tuned from Calibrated Power. I generally keep it in the street setting, and now that i am typing this i should maybe put it back to modified stock for a few days and monitor. I am also due for fuel filter service again. In addition, i have not had the most recent DEF recall performed because i was to lazy to pull the tunes last time i went in for an oil change. When i had the tune done, i did call into the dealer because the tuner needed to now if the lift pump replacement had been done, the service manager told me it had. Short of that the truck runs and drives great. the surging when cold or at idle isnt even enough to bump the tach. but i can hear and feel it.

I am answering a few of my own questions as i type this out. I should get the filters and DEF recall done and probably see how that does. Just wondering if anyone has witnessed a surge this slight and sorted it out?
Mine does the same thing, it is also tuned by calibrated. It is way more noticeable when it is cold out and not in high idle. Once High Idle kicks in the surging stops.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
get the flash updates and recalls. iirc, there is an ecm flash that's gone through several revisions for surging. mine did it up till about 10k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread