Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i was told not to jump another vehicle from this truck

dieselbeef

Reaction score
my 2020...dealer told me something about not jumping another vehicle....dont know why not...any ideas why this might be bad. i get it has all the computer crap but they have for yrs...and..if ya hook the ground to the chassi not the batt it should all be good....

cmr287

Reaction score
my 2020...dealer told me something about not jumping another vehicle....dont know why not...any ideas why this might be bad. i get it has all the computer crap but they have for yrs...and..if ya hook the ground to the chassi not the batt it should all be good....

I’ve been told the same by the dealership and have always wondered why myself. I’m definitely in this thread for comments.

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have jumpped others of my truck no issue.... if thats the case then perhaps i should not use my plow it draws a lot of juice or perhaps the power wagons should never use their winches... dealer salesmen seem to be the dumbest people when it comes to vehicles in my experience ask them a basic question they have to go ask the service department or just flat out ******** an answer i caught a few of them in lies over the years

LossPrev

Reaction score
My guess would be because it has two batteries (and/or maybe the larger or dual alternators) the uninformed assume it has too much juice and could damage the other vehicle.

jadmt

Reaction score
page 390 in my owners manual covers jump starting. It does not say in the 2020 owners manual not to jump start another vehicle. Hopefully people know the proper way, altho I have seen people totally screw the simplest things up.

relbus

Reaction score
Well I jumped my wife's explorer a week or two back up at the cabin when it was -25 and wouldn't start. Nothing bad happened.
I never thought twice about it on my 2013 - had to jump several vehicles over the life of that truck.

dieselbeef

Reaction score
older trucks yes...he mentioned the 2020..told me to hook it to the chassi ground or something i dont recall exactly.....i probly should look at the manual....dont have it handy tho

dieselbeef

Reaction score
yea..same old...all it mentions is not to hook the ground to the batta slo..use a chassi ground...same old procedure...back to work guys..nothin here

roegs

Reaction score
Years ago I had no problem giving others a jump. In recent years I'm much more hesitant and will only do it as a last resort. While the procedure is the same, my opinion is that the risks are higher both for me and the person I'm jumping. The article below sums it up for me. I'd rather carry one of the many portable jump start devices that are available now. Much cheaper than what could possibly go wrong from an incorrect jump.

Is It Safe To Jump Start Someone’s Car? (getitc.com)

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I have jump-started a car with my 2020 without any issues. What I did learn is it is easier to pull out my Noco GB70 jumpstarter than it is my cables. I will be going with the GB70 now.

el_barto

Reaction score
I have jump-started a car with my 2020 without any issues. What I did learn is it is easier to pull out my Noco GB70 jumpstarter than it is my cables. I will be going with the GB70 now.
I far prefer Battery jump starters over cables. Smaller, lighter, doesn’t require the ability to get 2 vehicles close(can be difficult if the car is in a garage, on a narrow trail or driveway, etc), and shoot it doesn’t even require a second vehicle (jump start yourself)

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I far prefer Battery jump starters over cables. Smaller, lighter, doesn’t require the ability to get 2 vehicles close(can be difficult if the car is in a garage, on a narrow trail or driveway, etc), and shoot it doesn’t even require a second vehicle (jump start yourself)

Self-rescue is my main reason for carrying one. We have one in all our vehicles now. My GB70 has started a Cummins and a Powerstroke within minutes of each other. I am sure it could have done more.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Someone gifted me a NOCO battery charger a few years ago, now I have one in my truck, wife's 4Runner, and our SXS. So much easier and safer. I still carry jumper cables but honestly I would recommend the product to anyone.

jadmt

Reaction score
Self-rescue is my main reason for carrying one. We have one in all our vehicles now. My GB70 has started a Cummins and a Powerstroke within minutes of each other. I am sure it could have done more.
we have had about 50% luck with them starting dead vehicles. It seemed to matter how dead the vehicle being jumped was, if it was stone cold dead we would ultimately have to use the cables.. They are a heck of a lot more convenient than cables that's for sure especially when it is -30F out and blowing. we had our cables equipped with Anderson connectors so we never had to pop our hoods so that helped a bit..

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
we have had about 50% luck with them starting dead vehicles. It seemed to matter how dead the vehicle being jumped was, if it was stone cold dead we would ultimately have to use the cables.. They are a heck of a lot more convenient than cables that's for sure especially when it is -30F out and blowing. we had our cables equipped with Anderson connectors so we never had to pop our hoods so that helped a bit..

I found with a completely dead vehicle I had to leave the jump pack on there for several minutes and then start it. It worked even with a battery with a shorted cell. If I run into one I can't start I hope it isn't mine. I am sometimes out there where I won't see a vehicle for a day or more.

Users who are viewing this thread