Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need good distance/driving lights

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
There is settings in alfaobd so your fogs do not drop out when high beams are on. All my other off road light are on their own switch.

My bar is switched, my PW ”fogs” are the auto/one turns on when you turn a corner lights as far as I know. I would like my bar to turn off by shutting off signal to the relay when I dim the highs or in this truck‘s case, when the truck dims the highs automatically..to hopefully avoid a lawful spanking while running with the devil beam on when I shouldn’t be.
Was just wondering if it is doable on these without upsetting the truck’s sensibilities.

Dinky503

Reaction score
My bar is switched, my PW ”fogs” are the auto/one turns on when you turn a corner lights as far as I know. I would like my bar to turn off by shutting off signal to the relay when I dim the highs or in this truck‘s case, when the truck dims the highs automatically..to hopefully avoid a lawful spanking while running with the devil beam on when I shouldn’t be.
Was just wondering if it is doable on these without upsetting the truck’s sensibilities.

You can run a relay but use the high beams as the relay trigger. Should isolated it enough and probably won't throw and codes as it's just triggering the relay. I would test it before actually running the wires all the way. My aux back up lights are on a dual relay set up so they come on in reverse and I can turn them on when parked for load lights. Running you vehicle lights as a signal vs power another source is best.

Last edited:

valv910

Reaction score
Oregon only allows total of 4 forward facing light for driving. So fogs and headlight even with low beams and fogs not dropping out when high beams are on could get you pulled over. It is rare and is a add on ticket senerio, but running really bright off road lights will get you pulled over. I only use mine on late night mountain passes in foul weather.
I actually have mine wired to the High Beam lights, so I don't bother nor I want to bother crossing vehicles. I believe this works well.
I travel on East Coast time because of work, in wintertime when I'm on the west coast, I'm 3 hours ahead when I start working. This means 6am is 3 am for y'all, and it's a long time driving in the dark till sunrise.

Dinky503

Reaction score
I have same truck and same night edition color. Where did you get the mount ?

Its a good color. I made the mount I have access to a sheet metal shop with all the cool tools.
I actually have mine wired to the High Beam lights, so I don't bother nor I want to bother crossing vehicles. I believe this works well.
I travel on East Coast time because of work, in wintertime when I'm on the west coast, I'm 3 hours ahead when I start working. This means 6am is 3 am for y'all, and it's a long time driving in the dark till sunrise.

Well that is definitely good to know. This will help out some people knowing they can with out issues.

Ck88

Reaction score
Hello, I drive and tow for a living. I travel mostly from NC to WA towing boats all year round. I wanted to have better long distance and overall lighting for interstate and highway driving, so I bought 4 KC Lights 3" C3 pods. overall they're ok but I need to double or more my High Beam capacity.
What are my choices ? I cannot afford to buy BD or DD or Rigid to test them and find out they're the wrong lights.
Look into “Morimoto” they have excellent reviews

jenninr

Reaction score
They have wiring harnesses for jeeps that will turn off aux lights when you dim your headlights. Someone probably makes something similar for Ram trucks. In this video the guy wires his lights where the aux switch and the high beams both have to be on for the aux lights to come on.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
They have wiring harnesses for jeeps that will turn off aux lights when you dim your headlights. Someone probably makes something similar for Ram trucks. In this video the guy wires his lights where the aux switch and the high beams both have to be on for the aux lights to come on.

It’s easy enough to tap the high circuit for the power to switch, as long as someone has done it without burning a newer Ram to the ground I might retro mine. I am paranoid messing with this thing after reading legion about how messing has messed things up…Alfa whatever and such.

Splzhaul

Reaction score
If money is not a problem. I use Whelen light heads that are nano lights with so much light you will only need 2 one on each side of the truck. Or one of there long light head for the center of the truck. The ones I have used are model# NP6BB or NP3BB . They are pioneer light heads. They come with a factory 5 year warrant. The longer one is model # PSL1BB or the longer one is # PSL2BB is the other one. I have had them on my truck for 2 years. Here are some photos of them.

Attachments

• 41CD40B7-FE31-425A-8C2D-8A4BF8CA54D5.png
    41CD40B7-FE31-425A-8C2D-8A4BF8CA54D5.png
    533.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 09AA8B24-CADB-4BF2-862A-3F67E7D323DE.png
    09AA8B24-CADB-4BF2-862A-3F67E7D323DE.png
    784.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 042C0702-F2D5-40B9-95F5-8DB3932EA8F6.png
    042C0702-F2D5-40B9-95F5-8DB3932EA8F6.png
    673.7 KB · Views: 26

heyguy

Reaction score
What high beam wire did you tap into? Thx.

cquilichini

Reaction score
i run a set of these when i need good distance lightning in rural roads. the driving combo in amber. they are amazing. when i need a little backup i turn on the wide cornering in amber. amazing backup lights even in the highway, they dont even bother upcoming traffic (wide ones). hope this helps.

wrvond

Reaction score
More light isn’t necessarily the best solution. Reflective roadside signs will absolutely blind you.
The first, and least expensive thing you can do to improve your night vision is to dim your instrument lights - the dimmer the better.
Second, legal LEDs will increase contrast. You can have an aircraft landing light on the front of your truck but if you can’t see the difference between a deer and the trees it won’t make any difference.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
More light isn’t necessarily the best solution. Reflective roadside signs will absolutely blind you.
The first, and least expensive thing you can do to improve your night vision is to dim your instrument lights - the dimmer the better.
Second, legal LEDs will increase contrast. You can have an aircraft landing light on the front of your truck but if you can’t see the difference between a deer and the trees it won’t make any difference.
Perhaps in some locals but in my neck of the woods it is quite possible to see more game on the roads than road signs. I would rather dim my lights at the reflective stuff than have a moose kicking the crap out of me through my windshield. The road signs usually stay in the ditch.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Perhaps in some locals but in my neck of the woods it is quite possible to see more game on the roads than road signs. I would rather dim my lights at the reflective stuff than have a moose kicking the crap out of me through my windshield. The road signs usually stay in the ditch.
Yes them road signs are standing still ;) that is a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread