Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I drive a 2020 Ram 2500 with the 6-4 liter gas engine

Dennisdd53

Reaction score
I have issues with my Ram not starting. Only 27,000 miles and it has happened several times. But dealership could not duplicate problem. Until now, I spent 15 minutes trying to get it to start. Finally, had it towed. It's frustrating as we are campers and have a 5th wheel now we can't use until this is solved any one else had this issue?

Lary0071

Reaction score
You left a TON to our imagination.

Does it not turn over when not starting?
Does it turn over fast and normal but not start?
What does the battery voltage dip to during a starter draw?
Did the dealer never see any hard or no start conditions?
If the dealer did not and can not recreate the hard/no start condition, can you come up with a pattern or reason that would help you recreate the condition? i.e.: Is it typically following a certain recognizable use type? A certain rest or lack of use? Hot or cold weather? Anything that you can ponder on and maybe think that a pattern can be eluded to?
I assume since you say that the dealer can not duplicate, there are no stored trouble or fault codes?
When you have had this no-start, how did you overcome it? Did you just crank until it finally started? Did you hit it with a jump box? Did you hit it with starting fluid? Or maybe you did nothing at all, went and drank an iced tea and came back a while later and like magic... BOOM! It started!

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
First off, welcome.

Second, yes need a lot more info as Lary stated.

hard to help you with no info other than it wont start.

Dennisdd53

Reaction score
You left a TON to our imagination.

Does it not turn over when not starting?
Does it turn over fast and normal but not start?
What does the battery voltage dip to during a starter draw?
Did the dealer never see any hard or no start conditions?
If the dealer did not and can not recreate the hard/no start condition, can you come up with a pattern or reason that would help you recreate the condition? i.e.: Is it typically following a certain recognizable use type? A certain rest or lack of use? Hot or cold weather? Anything that you can ponder on and maybe think that a pattern can be eluded to?
I assume since you say that the dealer can not duplicate, there are no stored trouble or fault codes?
When you have had this no-start, how did you overcome it? Did you just crank until it finally started? Did you hit it with a jump box? Did you hit it with starting fluid? Or maybe you did nothing at all, went and drank an iced tea and came back a while later and like magic... BOOM! It started!
Thanks for your response; When the issue happens the engine does not turn over. When pressing the start button you may a hear a click which one would think would be the starter. Up until the last occasion it would finally start. This time it didn't. I've taken it to the dealer before and they could never duplicate it. It would start fine for weeks before it happens again. It started this spring so I don't think weather is an issue.

There is no pattern like I said it will go for weeks then it happens a couple times normally after continue attempts it will turn over. It could be the starter however, my un mechanical brain wonders whether it maybe in the switch. The codes last time only spoke of the charging system which all checked out. Hopefully, they can figure it out this time. Disappointing as I was to take it on a big fishing trip this week and we have a 5th wheel camper that needs that truck.

Gear box

Reaction score
The 2019 3500 6.4 chassis cab we have in our fleet had this no start issue at 39000 miles.
Clicks but no start random. I went straight to the big power connections all the way to the starter.
Got to positive starter post and found it quite loose, took off terminal sanded smooth retightened and sealed connection back up. 89000 miles now and has not done it since.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Push in all fuses and relays fully into their sockets.

Users who are viewing this thread