Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I-255 Connector issue AISIN transmission goes into limp mode

CaptPayne

Reaction score
Hey folks,
Well I got a new to me 2016 Ram 3500 about 3 years back and has been great, except for one nagging issue. Happened about a year after I got it, and the truck wouldn't shift properly and the CEL would come on. Was throwing a P077C and P0722 codes for the output shaft speed sensor after driving through heavy standing water during a thunderstorm. Took it to the local dealership and they replaced the sensor and no issues for about 6 months when it happened again in the winter this time after a warm wet snowfall (start to see the trend). They replaced the sensor under warranty, but the same thing happened about 2 weeks later. They reluctantly replaced the sensor again, but said if it happened again, they would be looking at replacing the TCM instead.
Well nothing for a long time, until I moved from the Prairies to the West (wet) Coast this summer. Now its happening again and not clearing (both lots of rain and heavy wet snow lately). Looked under the truck and the Output Shaft Speed sensor is nice and dry, and the two connectors and pins look fine, but if I go further into the troubleshooting for the codes it says to look at the I-255 connector. This is located on the drivers side just behind the plastic spray shield at the back of the wheel well. It's soaking wet. I've yet to crack open the connection, but have a feeling its the one connector that is got a moisture intrusion issue as it only is happening when wet and not dry.
Anyone else ever have an issue like this?
Seems like the Tech barely did any troubleshooting, and by the time they did, the vehicle was in the shop long enough it dried out and they couldn't replicate the problem anymore (even though I kept coming back with the same issue). My worry is if it is the housing getting water in there how to repair it. I'm sure Dodge will say to replace the whole harness at who knows how much. Just tired of techs that can't even follow the troubleshooting or listen to what some of the customers tell them (we're not all simpletons, some of us have Automotive backgrounds too).

flan

Reaction score
Clean out the connector, if the problem goes away soak the piss out of that specific connector with a hose and see if the problem reappears. There’s boots on the wires and oring on the connectors you can inspect and repair if that’s the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread