Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to pull the 8.4 radio to replace the 12v on top of the dash?

Etoimos

Reaction score
Has anyone done a how to on pulling the radio or other dash parts to get out the 12v on top of the dash? I want to replace the 12v with some USB ports to power some devices up there. Thanks in advance.

jkbrereton

Reaction score
They make adapters to convert from the 12V to USB. I have one that has two USB spots in it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jadmt

Reaction score
i want to add another 12v accessory plug seems ram was pretty skimpy on mine as i only have one.

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
If I remember right, its just a couple screws under the rubber pad on top, and you give the whole assembly a firm pull to get it to pop out.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
2 torx under the mini dash pad, then pull. infotainment has a video. super easy.

I just bought a multiplug to put in the 12v socket.

Etoimos

Reaction score
They make adapters to convert from the 12V to USB. I have one that has two USB spots in it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I've seen those (actually have one on my tractor) and they do work just fine. However, I need at least 3 USB chargers up top and preferably 4. I'll have to search around and see if they have any multi USB C type adaptors like that.

i want to add another 12v accessory plug seems ram was pretty skimpy on mine as i only have one.

I have no need for 12v so I would have gladly traded you my 12v for a set of your USB ports. lol

If I remember right, its just a couple screws under the rubber pad on top, and you give the whole assembly a firm pull to get it to pop out.
Thanks, I read that on the 12" screen but was not sure about the 8.4". It seems odd that it would be just two easy to reach screws. Back in the day there were like nine and they were all hard to reach. lol

Jgouldski

Reaction score
Has anyone done a how to on pulling the radio or other dash parts to get out the 12v on top of the dash? I want to replace the 12v with some USB ports to power some devices up there. Thanks in advance.
The 2 torx screws up top under the pad, then a firm pull. Will feel like you're gonna break something - very unnerving. Make sure the battery is disconnected, then undo all the connectors and the whole thing comes out. All sizes of radios/screens come out the same way.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Weird. I have a tradesman and I have at least two usb under the radio, one 12v up top, and one 12v in the armrest of the center console thing.

BB0A4F62-9BD8-453C-9CA9-E61AC8E228DA.jpeg

jadmt

Reaction score
yea the bastards only gave me a usb port in the arm rest cheap sob;s lol. I do have the same usb ports as you for carplay and the 12V up on top and the 400 watt 120V down below but I would like another 12V accessory plug I use those more than usb ports.
D67D8931-862D-4D86-A03A-A6CD4D808636.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread