Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to order a 2023 Power Wagon?

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Just had a confusing (and somewhat frustrating) experience at my local dealer. I went in to order a 2023 Power Wagon; I had spec'd out my build online, although I can only spec out a 2022 online. We were trying to replicate the same build for a 2023 model.

When we went through the dealer's ordering process, it appeared the Power Wagon/Rebel selection was combined, and was requiring him to then select a Rebel model (gas or diesel). We selected gas, but then it became clearer that we were no longer building a Power Wagon. The only option for wheels were 18" standard, and when I made my Level 2 Package selection - (Level 1 or 2 were the only options) - it then required me to then select 20" wheels. That's when I realized we were truly building the new 2500 Rebel (gas version). But, strangely, the computer showed this as a Power Wagon/Rebel build.

Also, it listed 4.10 gears as an "option", not standard...which seems wrong?

So my question is: is anyone familiar enough with the dealer order system to know how to build and order a Power Wagon (NOT a Rebel)? Clearly the salesperson I was dealing with had no clue.

I may just wait until the 2023 configurator goes live online so I can build it out myself and send my dealer the options I'm selecting.

Last edited:

tchur1

Reaction score
Id reach out to Mark Dodge to have them quote you on your desired build, then take that to your dealer so they can plug it in. Push them to match on price too since MD will be ~11% off MSRP. Not sure what deal you have with your local dealer but might be worth going elsewhere.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Id reach out to Mark Dodge to have them quote you on your desired build, then take that to your dealer so they can plug it in. Push them to match on price too since MD will be ~11% off MSRP. Not sure what deal you have with your local dealer but might be worth going elsewhere.
My dealer is at 6% below invoice and local, so I’d prefer to go that route. I sent him a build sheet from another thread on this forum and asked if he could replicate that - he said he wasn’t able to in the computer.

Either he’s unsure how to use his system or it’s not possible to build a non-Rebel PW at this moment. Or it could be both!

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
But the rebel is a different truck from the Power Wagon.

So there is something weird going on there.

Rebel has no front locker, sway bar disconnect, comes with 20" rims, can get diesel or gas, and 4.10 gears are a option.

Other than the diesel and 20" rims, the rest is stock on a Power Wagon.

tchur1

Reaction score
My dealer is at 6% below invoice and local, so I’d prefer to go that route. I sent him a build sheet from another thread on this forum and asked if he could replicate that - he said he wasn’t able to in the computer.

Either he’s unsure how to use his system or it’s not possible to build a non-Rebel PW at this moment. Or it could be both!
6% under invoice is a killer deal. Id lean guess he is doing something wrong. I believe the build sheet will read Power Wagon/Rebel but you should be able to still build it as a power wagon.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
But the rebel is a different truck from the Power Wagon.

So there is something weird going on there.

Rebel has no front locker, sway bar disconnect, comes with 20" rims, can get diesel or gas, and 4.10 gears are a option.

Other than the diesel and 20" rims, the rest is stock on a Power Wagon.
Yep - once the system started forcing me to make selections that shouldn’t be on a power wagon (like the 20” wheels), that’s when i knew we were building something else. The frustrating part was the dealer kept trying to convince me we were in fact building a power wagon, when i knew we weren’t.

But - when I asked him to build a power wagon that wasn’t a rebel, he seemed unable to do that. Whether that’s something in the system or he just clicked a wrong box, I am not sure.

Last edited:

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
When I went to the dealer to order my '21 PW, they didn't even know what a PW was.

I had to walk the salesman thru the process and what to order. Their order process was different than what was on the RAM website.
On the website, I was not able to do a mono tone and get rid of the lower black paint. But at the dealer, we were able to order it mono tone.

jenninr

Reaction score
I have been in touch with Mark Dodge about ordering either a Power Wagon or a Rebel. The Power Wagon ordering wasn't open the last I talked with them a couple weeks ago but they were expecting it to open back up "soon". That may be what your dealer is running into. The other thing that I learned through talking with them is that the Rebel is an option package on the Power Wagon in the ordering system. It's just a package that takes more things away than it adds so it's a negative cost unless you pick the diesel package. So the ordering system will say Power Wagon/Rebel like you are seeing. I would contact samrith@markdodge.net to get the latest ordering info. Also, if your local dealer is doing 6% off invoice I would like to know what dealer that is because I am looking to order and that is very good pricing and might be closer to me than Mark Dodge.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Very helpful - thanks. I hope the issue is that Ram isn't currently accepting Power Wagon orders (for whatever reason), only Rebel orders. And yes, it did "look" to me that the Rebel option was exactly that - an option. But, my dealer said that either Gas Rebel or Diesel Rebel had to be selected in the system in order to move forward with the build. So perhaps the non-Rebel power wagon build feature has been disabled at the moment. I may reach out to Mark Dodge as well.

It's also confusing that a lot of people (especially in the media) are calling the Rebel a "Power Wagon Lite", which may make some people think the Rebel is the Power Wagon.

The dealer I am working with is Freeland CDJR in Nashville. The salesman's name is Bert. My name is Steve, and he will be more than familiar with me by now lol.
I have been in touch with Mark Dodge about ordering either a Power Wagon or a Rebel. The Power Wagon ordering wasn't open the last I talked with them a couple weeks ago but they were expecting it to open back up "soon". That may be what your dealer is running into. The other thing that I learned through talking with them is that the Rebel is an option package on the Power Wagon in the ordering system. It's just a package that takes more things away than it adds so it's a negative cost unless you pick the diesel package. So the ordering system will say Power Wagon/Rebel like you are seeing. I would contact samrith@markdodge.net to get the latest ordering info. Also, if your local dealer is doing 6% off invoice I would like to know what dealer that is because I am looking to order and that is very good pricing and might be closer to me than Mark Dodge.

jenninr

Reaction score
Very helpful - thanks. I hope the issue is that Ram isn't currently accepting Power Wagon orders (for whatever reason), only Rebel orders. And yes, it did "look" to me that the Rebel option was exactly that - an option. But, my dealer said that either Gas Rebel or Diesel Rebel had to be selected in the system in order to move forward with the build. So perhaps the non-Rebel power wagon build feature has been disabled at the moment. I may reach out to Mark Dodge as well.

It's also confusing that a lot of people (especially in the media) are calling the Rebel a "Power Wagon Lite", which may make some people think the Rebel is the Power Wagon.

The dealer I am working with is Freeland CDJR in Nashville. The salesman's name is Bert. My name is Steve, and he will be more than familiar with me by now lol.
Thanks for the info. Nashville is only 1.5 hours from me so that is much closer. I am torn on what to order myself. I want a Power Wagon even though I don't really have anywhere to offroad something that big around here, I just want one. The issue I have is I occasionally need to tow at the Power Wagon limits and actually beyond the payload. I thought the Rebel would be a good compromise for me but the cost is actually more than a Power Wagon when you add the winch, which I would find useful, and it makes no sense to me to pay more money for less feature.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Nashville is only 1.5 hours from me so that is much closer. I am torn on what to order myself. I want a Power Wagon even though I don't really have anywhere to offroad something that big around here, I just want one. The issue I have is I occasionally need to tow at the Power Wagon limits and actually beyond the payload. I thought the Rebel would be a good compromise for me but the cost is actually more than a Power Wagon when you add the winch, which I would find useful, and it makes no sense to me to pay more money for less feature.
Completely understand that. I kept going back and forth about diesel HD and gas HD, eventually settling on gas for reasons of convenience, cost, and concerns over the long-term issues that may arise from emissions on the diesel. One of my concerns was payload capacity (I don't tow), but I can remedy that with a different set of springs from Carli.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Watched a video on youtube the other night.

Power Wagon vs the 2 versions of rebel.

PW is still king.

jenninr

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't need the diesel either and don't want to deal with the emissions stuff since people who don't work them hard very often tend to be the ones with the most issues and that would be my situation. I have been thinking about a Power Wagon with air bags and Daystar cradles rather than swapping the springs but I basically have analysis paralysis at this point.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't need the diesel either and don't want to deal with the emissions stuff since people who don't work them hard very often tend to be the ones with the most issues and that would be my situation. I have been thinking about a Power Wagon with air bags and Daystar cradles rather than swapping the springs but I basically have analysis paralysis at this point.
lol same - and when they added the Rebel it got even worse. My basic thought process for my needs was:
  • first and foremost needed something that could take me off-road comfortably as a stock vehicle that I will eventually modify over time
  • eliminated diesel for the reasons stated previously
  • decided I wanted the fancy schmancy trim level for the interior and stereo (my 2021 Prospector XL had the HK, which was the nicest stock stereo I've ever owned)
  • then figured that the 'best' version of the gas HD for resale (since I buy and sell cars way too often) would be the Power Wagon

Docwagon1776

Reaction score
Just had a confusing (and somewhat frustrating) experience at my local dealer. I went in to order a 2023 Power Wagon; I had spec'd out my build online, although I can only spec out a 2022 online. We were trying to replicate the same build for a 2023 model.

When we went through the dealer's ordering process, it appeared the Power Wagon/Rebel selection was combined, and was requiring him to then select a Rebel model (gas or diesel). We selected gas, but then it became clearer that we were no longer building a Power Wagon. The only option for wheels were 18" standard, and when I made my Level 2 Package selection - (Level 1 or 2 were the only options) - it then required me to then select 20" wheels. That's when I realized we were truly building the new 2500 Rebel (gas version). But, strangely, the computer showed this as a Power Wagon/Rebel build.

Also, it listed 4.10 gears as an "option", not standard...which seems wrong?

So my question is: is anyone familiar enough with the dealer order system to know how to build and order a Power Wagon (NOT a Rebel)? Clearly the salesperson I was dealing with had no clue.

I may just wait until the 2023 configurator goes live online so I can build it out myself and send my dealer the options I'm selecting.
You can't order a PW right now. Order banks are closed and won't reopen until "late 4th quarter" per Ram customer service. I was in the boat, tried to order and it was converted to a Rebel. Luckily I noticed because the dealer didn't. I ended up buying a '21 used to avoid the uncertainty of waiting for order banks to open and then expected 6-9 month wait for delivery.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
You can't order a PW right now. Order banks are closed and won't reopen until "late 4th quarter" per Ram customer service. I was in the boat, tried to order and it was converted to a Rebel. Luckily I noticed because the dealer didn't. I ended up buying a '21 used to avoid the uncertainty of waiting for order banks to open and then expected 6-9 month wait for delivery.
That’s what I was wondering. Thanks for this info.

Users who are viewing this thread