Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How the heck do you wash this thing?

immersivenc

Reaction score
I take it to one of those DIY places. Between the brush on a stick, and the pressure washer, it makes pretty quick work. Plus the isotonic water or whatever it is for the spot free rise is a godsend. Doing it home, sucks.
The thought of the brush on a stick dragging across the paint makes me cringe. Lays all over the ground and has the dirt from everybody else’s car in it. Noooo

mcarey

Reaction score
The thought of the brush on a stick dragging across the paint makes me cringe. Lays all over the ground and has the dirt from everybody else’s car in it. Noooo
I hit the brush with the high powered soap spray first. Nearly blows the thing out of my hands.

Reality, in my case, is I'm on dirt roads at least once a month which is usually when I'll wash it after. I'll likely run the same risk of dragging some ******** across my paint with my mitt at home. 3 new vehicles in 8 years, and being sure to power wash the brush before I use it has seemed to work just fine.

I get it though.

Icky

Reaction score
I have a di water tank that I bought to use with my toyhauler, washing something 40' long is one thing, drying it before it water spots is impossible when is 100+ outside. I ended up buying it from these guys since it was their you tube video that talked me into it https://rv-mods.com/store/ , but its basically a DI Rinse system. Works great on the trailer and vehicles.

dm6

Reaction score
I use the wash mitt on a telescopic pole as well. I will miss standing in the bed to do the roof once I get my canopy on. The thing that took the most time seemed to be drying it but last time I had just used my blower to blow some leaves and saw it sitting there and the light bulb went off in my head. Took about 5 minutes to get most of the water off with the blower then quickly hit it with the microfiber towel to get the rest off. I didn't even have to wring it out once on the whole truck as the blower got most of it off. I also use a spray on ceramic wax that you rinse off.

Riddick

Reaction score
Pressure washer and a foam cannon work great. Here is a basic run down of my washing process.

Spray entiire truck with pressure washer, this softens/removes the majority of dirt on the paint before applying soap
Using a foam cannon I coat the entire truck in soap and let it sit for a couple of minutes
Use the 2 bucket method for washing (1 bucket has clean water used to clean debris off mit and the second bucket is filled with soap/water)
To reach the roof I open the cab doors and stand on the door sill to reach the front portion of the cab
If you stand in the bed you can reach the back portion of the cab roof
To access the hood/windshield I stand on the front tire and reach over, the older I get the harder this becomes but im still fairly flexile and in great shape.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Washing it is no problem i hardly ever get the roof unless im waxing with spray and shine (every 3 months)

dm6

Reaction score
Pressure washer and a foam cannon work great. Here is a basic run down of my washing process.

Spray entiire truck with pressure washer, this softens/removes the majority of dirt on the paint before applying soap
Using a foam cannon I coat the entire truck in soap and let it sit for a couple of minutes
Use the 2 bucket method for washing (1 bucket has clean water used to clean debris off mit and the second bucket is filled with soap/water)
To reach the roof I open the cab doors and stand on the door sill to reach the front portion of the cab
If you stand in the bed you can reach the back portion of the cab roof
To access the hood/windshield I stand on the front tire and reach over, the older I get the harder this becomes but im still fairly flexile and in great shape.
I have a foam cannon too and it is pretty cool. I have a question about the pressure washer though. I just have a gas one that is like 3100 psi or something but used it a couple times with the foam cannon. What PSI is your pressure washer I like the idea of spraying it beforehand to get all of the dirt off, but I am afraid to do it with this strong one. Is it a good idea to invest in an electric pressure washer around 2000 psi for washing cars with? Also, after you spray it with the foam cannon, do you rinse it off after a few minutes or do you just start using the 2 bucket method with the foam still slowly dripping down?

Riddick

Reaction score
I have a foam cannon too and it is pretty cool. I have a question about the pressure washer though. I just have a gas one that is like 3100 psi or something but used it a couple times with the foam cannon. What PSI is your pressure washer I like the idea of spraying it beforehand to get all of the dirt off, but I am afraid to do it with this strong one. Is it a good idea to invest in an electric pressure washer around 2000 psi for washing cars with? Also, after you spray it with the foam cannon, do you rinse it off after a few minutes or do you just start using the 2 bucket method with the foam still slowly dripping down?

I also have a gas pressure washer thats around 3100-3300 psi but i only run it on half throttle. Also, I make sure to use one of the nozzles that have a wide spray pattern, I either use the 40 or 25 degree nozzles depending on what im doing. 40 is good for painted surfaces and engine bays and the 25 works great on wheelwells and undercarraige. If I were to crank up the throttle and run a narrow spray pattern it would peel the paint off.

As for washing it really depends how dirty the vehicle is. If there is mud caked on I will rinse before doing the two bucket method. However, if its really not dirty I wash without rinsing. The soap/foam add lubricity so the more soap on the paint the less prone to scratching the clearcoat.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Two step ladder, extension handle with brush, foam cannon when convenient, bucket with grit guard and a quality soap. Top down method, chamois dry. Clay and M21 2x/yr, polish in spring with my Griots DA.

SMK Shoe

Reaction score
Been thinking a different route for the roof. I used Raptor lining ( DIY lineX spray) to do the top of the rear quarter panels down to about a inch below the seam from one C pillar all the way around to the other. Think of a three inch strip along the top of the tailgate along the entire bed. I am constantly throwing straps and portable winches into the bed. Well, What If I used the same liner for the roof. No one see's the roof and this would protect it from the sun and bird poop and whatever else. Roof is always neglected when a quick wash is needed.

Firebird

Reaction score
I am 5'9" and wash a Power wagon on 35's about once a week. I stand in the bed to get the top and use a Gorilla step platform to do the hood and windshield. Wheel wells are simple a brush and soapy water and just spray them out.
This, I'm the same height

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Local car wash. Truck goes through just fine. They hand dry, vacuum, clean the interior dash, cup holders, windows and even put on some of that tire wet. Looks great after!

Blythkd1

Reaction score
It's been a couple years since I got out and hauled much but back then you could go through a big truck wash, like a Blue Beacon, for $20-25, depending on the location. There's guys spraying, guys scrubbing, usually hit underneath too then get a good rinse. And it doesn't take long. Plus you can get it done in any weather since it's all inside.

SMK Shoe

Reaction score
I won't say that I have gone out in the rain and hit it with a mitt to get the big stuff off and let the rain do a rinse.

Users who are viewing this thread