Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much vibration should I expect?

tchur1

Reaction score
Hey all - I recently put 37x12.50R17 KM3s on my truck and have consistently felt a slight to moderate vibration coming from the rear at and above ~60MPH. I have had the wheel/tire shop that mounted them re-balance the tires once already and it did improve the vibration but it is still there.

This is my first truck with 37s so Im wondering if some small to moderate vibrations are the nature of the beast with a tire this large, or if I should have them rebalance again? Ive put about 100 miles on them since the 2nd balance, hoping that they would naturally settle but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
When they did the rebalance, did they add more weight in a different spot?
If so, go back and ask to rebalance again and see if it shows it needs weight in another spot.
If it does, then the tire is bad and will never balance and you will always have a vibration.

I get a slight vibration in my steering wheel at 65, but it's gone by 67. So I dont drive at those speeds. Dont think it's a tire issue as I've rotated several times and it's always there. Was even there with the stock goodyears.

tchur1

Reaction score
Ya I checked the wheels and can see that they moved some weight around, Ill head back later this week to see if is a tire that just isnt round. Hoping thats not the case.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I've had a few of them in the past.
Seems here lately it's gotten worse.
Nowdays, I use balance beads in mine and forget about it.

spike98

Reaction score
You should have zero vibration and any shop that puts out tires that have them is a piss poor shop or in a rare case, its a bad tire. Also, "its because they are big aggressive tires" is not an excuse.

Often with the big tires, they have to rotate the tire on the rim or swap them around to get them to balance out. Hunter road force balance is also a must and they must use the more accurate balance feature. I went through 2 local shops giving me the runaround and interestingly enough, the local nissan dealer got them smooth as glass.

tchur1

Reaction score
You should have zero vibration and any shop that puts out tires that have them is a piss poor shop or in a rare case, its a bad tire. Also, "its because they are big aggressive tires" is not an excuse.

Often with the big tires, they have to rotate the tire on the rim or swap them around to get them to balance out. Hunter road force balance is also a must and they must use the more accurate balance feature. I went through 2 local shops giving me the runaround and interestingly enough, the local nissan dealer got them smooth as glass.
Appreciate that. The shop has never alluded to the vibrations being from the size/aggressiveness of the tire and are very reputable in our area. Ive worked with them for about 20 years now. Was just wondering if its expected. Ill have them rebalance and move them around as needed. I have a 5th tire I can swap out of one is bad.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Have they turned the tires 180° on the wheels and tried again? That’s what I’d ask them to do. At least on the offending tire. Tires and wheels can both be out.

With labor shortages these days I’m not surprised if they haven’t “tried their best” to fix it.

But some tires can run smooth without balancing and some tires are so out they won’t balance at all. They should replace it if that’s the case.

Vdrsnk

Reaction score
My 35” bfg at would never stop vibrating so I got rid of them, that was after 20k miles of smooth ride on 37” Toyo RT.

If you read BFG tires are notorious for this. Thuren talks about it on our trucks.

I hope you figure something out, good luck.

Scvette

Reaction score
So I bought 6 new cooper SSt pros for my dually. Had a vibration and took them in for a road force balance. 3 of the 6 were out of round and they sent me new ones.

tchur1

Reaction score
….plenty, that’s how much
So time to just live with it?
Have they turned the tires 180° on the wheels and tried again? That’s what I’d ask them to do. At least on the offending tire. Tires and wheels can both be out.

With labor shortages these days I’m not surprised if they haven’t “tried their best” to fix it.

But some tires can run smooth without balancing and some tires are so out they won’t balance at all. They should replace it if that’s the case.
They have not but ill ask them to try that when I take it in later today. Ive known the owner of this shop for 20+ years and have always had a great relationship with them so I dont think they are short changing me on effort here. Im hoping its not a bad tire.
My 35” bfg at would never stop vibrating so I got rid of them, that was after 20k miles of smooth ride on 37” Toyo RT.

If you read BFG tires are notorious for this. Thuren talks about it on our trucks.

I hope you figure something out, good luck.
Ya Ive heard this quite a bit about BFGs. The tires were free so I want to try and make them work before dropping $2k on a new set but that might be where we end up. Hoping a road force balance and a little extra work will get it sorted.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
“So time to just live with it?”

Heck no. In between dealing with a radio that has a mind of it’s own, tracking down mystery leaks, videoing strange chirping, hearing grinding noises, calling the dealership, studying wiring harnesses and driving loaners…..spend a bunch of Thuren money and get it aligned again, then spend some more Thuren money and get it aligned twice at two different places. Another balancing, more money, different tires…finally, get that rear track bar, a second aftermarket rear sway bar, a third set of shocks and then those balance beads that won’t get it and you’ll almost have it.

Last edited:

tchur1

Reaction score
“So time to just live with it?”

Heck no. In between dealing with a radio that has a mind of it’s own, tracking down mystery leaks, videoing strange chirping, hearing grinding noises, calling the dealership, studying wiring harnesses and driving loaners…..spend a bunch of Thuren money and get it aligned again, then spend some more Thuren money and get it aligned twice at two different places. Another balancing, more money, different tires…finally, get that rear track bar, a second aftermarket rear sway bar, a third set of shocks and then those balance beads that won’t get it and you’ll almost have it.
Sounds like you love your truck!

Users who are viewing this thread