Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much maintenance is required for the Laramie leather seats?

jm888

Reaction score
I didn't think I would care about this because I was all set on a Big Horn, but by the time I added all of the options, it came out to the same price as a Laramie and the Laramie had more options so now I have to consider the seats. I have leather seats in my 20 year old Chevy and I took good care of them and cleaned them and conditioned them, etc. for the first 10 years but then kind of gave up on them. They were more of a smooth leather though and light colored so they were a hassle. Do these Laramie leather seats require much maintenance? Being black automatically will make them easier than what I have, but I am used to my car that has cloth seats and it just requires a simple vacuum. I would image the leather would be better for spills but in general, what do you need to do to keep them clean compared to the cloth seats in a Big Horn? I would want the bench seats though to allow the extra seating for 6 just in case we need it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Wait seats require maintenance? My 20 year old leather seats in my 01 3500 look as good as day one never touched em other than a wet cloth for the dust from work

1651Naismith

Reaction score
Depends...how is your OCD? At the low end, the occasional vacuum will pull grit and tiny pebbles out of the seams and avoids tearing up the seams and stitching. From there you can get into different levels of leather treatments and what not - they range from basic to “exotic”. If your OCD is high, you may want to consider a ceramic coat for the leather. I may put CarPro Leather on mine if it ever shows up (see auto geek.com).

Realistically, the occasional vacuum and leather cleaner+treatment found at Autozone (I like Griot 3 in 1) should be more than enough for most folks. Takes 10-20 mins and should be more than enough to keep it in good shape for many years. On the Laramie, check the manual on the faux suede inserts and experiment in a small spot in the back.

jm888

Reaction score
Depends...how is your OCD? At the low end, the occasional vacuum will pull grit and tiny pebbles out of the seams and avoids tearing up the seams and stitching. From there you can get into different levels of leather treatments and what not - they range from basic to “exotic”. If your OCD is high, you may want to consider a ceramic coat for the leather. I may put CarPro Leather on mine if it ever shows up (see auto geek.com).

Realistically, the occasional vacuum and leather cleaner+treatment found at Autozone (I like Griot 3 in 1) should be more than enough for most folks. Takes 10-20 mins and should be more than enough to keep it in good shape for many years. On the Laramie, check the manual on the faux suede inserts and experiment in a small spot in the back.
Well, I am not one of that is out detailing my car every weekend, which maybe I am really asking how these will hold up if you don't do much with them. If it just requires a vacuum (like a cloth seat would) and an occasional wipe down with warm water or treatments, that won't be too bad. I just want to mainly prevent them from cracking or peeling as I don't really see dirt showing up too much on a black seat. How often do you usually have to apply that stuff?

Ickabod

Reaction score
Well, I am not one of that is out detailing my car every weekend, which maybe I am really asking how these will hold up if you don't do much with them. If it just requires a vacuum (like a cloth seat would) and an occasional wipe down with warm water or treatments, that won't be too bad. I just want to mainly prevent them from cracking or peeling as I don't really see dirt showing up too much on a black seat. How often do you usually have to apply that stuff?
I have had my laramie for 3 years and have done zero maintenance besides a vacuum once or twice a year. They look like they did when I bought the truck. And this is with 4 sons riding in the truck often.

jm888

Reaction score
I have had my laramie for 3 years and have done zero maintenance besides a vacuum once or twice a year. They look like they did when I bought the truck. And this is with 4 sons riding in the truck often.
That's what I like to hear. I will have this garaged and it won't be a daily driver so it won't be getting beat down with the sun or anything. And if my kids spill, it will probably be easier to clean up.

1651Naismith

Reaction score
My impression of the Laramie interior is its pretty durable leather. I would worry more about the suede inserts than the leather. Given it’s not getting hammered by the sun constantly, you should be able to do get what you’re looking for with minimal maintenance.

Sir Snacksalot

Reaction score
The leather I had on my 19 Laramie 1500 was peeling on the outer edges by 25k miles. Went with the bighorn for that reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jm888

Reaction score
The leather I had on my 19 Laramie 1500 was peeling on the outer edges by 25k miles. Went with the bighorn for that reason

Is that covered under warranty or anything? That seems a little soon no matter how someone takes care of it.

Sir Snacksalot

Reaction score
Is that covered under warranty or anything? That seems a little soon no matter how someone takes care of it.

No and believe me I tried. It got rejected twice as “normal wear and tear”

Razzman

Reaction score
When I sold my '17 Laramie for the new one in January they still looked as new.

Users who are viewing this thread