Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much Jeep is in our trucks?

SwampCat

Reaction score
Some buddies of mine got into this discussion the other day, and when I went into researching it, there’s some but not much online. But it does seem that, aside from some interior trim and software, the drivetrains in our trucks are a lot different from anything Jeep. Actually surprised even the transfer cases are from completely different manufacturers.

What do you guys know / have to say about this? Were previous gen trucks a lot more Jeep underneath?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Why would a mid sized vehicle( jeep) use the same parts as an HD pickup…. You and your friends need to lay off the pipe.

All joking aside the only thing they share is the dealership/ manufacturer

Even back in the day when Jeep (then AMC) made an HD truck they were no where near the dodge HD pickups thats mostly due to AMC using a cluster fawk of different parts from different brands.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
the Gladiator uses a couple parts from the 1500, nothing from the HD. IIRC, the 4th Gen 1500 rear control arms/links were the same and maybe the coil buckets/perch.

Dathan_Swick

Reaction score
Easiest way to finger it out would be go to your fav. Auto parts website and look at what cross references to what. See you in 6 to 17 months with results

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Why would a mid sized vehicle( jeep) use the same parts as an HD pickup…. You and your friends need to lay off the pipe.

All joking aside the only thing they share is the dealership/ manufacturer

Even back in the day when Jeep (then AMC) made an HD truck they were no where near the dodge HD pickups thats mostly due to AMC using a cluster fawk of different parts from different brands.
Just trying to be as asinine as the title of the thread. :oops: But hey they made a Jeep based off a 1500 chassis soo…if they did cook sumthin up it would be $130 Canadian so it would be outta my league.:(

SwampCat

Reaction score
Based on all the research done so far, I am in fact surprised that the Wrangler / Gladiator, Grand Cherokee, Wagoneer / 1500, and HD trucks all have different transfer cases. I would have expected the Ram systems to at least be mechanically the same as the oft-advertised Jeep Quadra-Trac, Quadra-Drive, Rock-Trac, etc systems.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Based on all the research done so far, I am in fact surprised that the Wrangler / Gladiator, Grand Cherokee, Wagoneer / 1500, and HD trucks all have different transfer cases. I would have expected the Ram systems to at least be mechanically the same as the oft-advertised Jeep Quadra-Trac, Quadra-Drive, Rock-Trac, etc systems.
Why they are different purpose built machines that would be silly to have a one size fits all transfer case….

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
it has approximately the same amount of Jeep in it as it has fiat 500 or Chrysler Pacifica.

ie maybe uconnect and maybe random stuff like a wiper stalk, rear cam, or glove box latch here or there

Users who are viewing this thread