Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many miles do you have on your 4.5 gen gasser?

RClark

Reaction score
2018 bought used early July, has 119K on the clock. Some daily driver and towing several trailers I have.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Man, some of y’all drive your truck about as much as people usually drive their boats.

I only have 6600 miles on my Rebel so far (picked it up in February).

My 2020 Limited had 37k on it when I traded it in at 13 months old in April of ‘21.
I got mine February 22 new. I have 16K on it right at 50% towing a 28 foot single slide 6700 lbs. 750 tongue. Last trip was 3K miles to NM. Lots of weekends some light off roading. So less than 1K a month avg.

1stindoor

Reaction score
I just traded my 2018 that had 119,000. Picked up my 2023 on the 9th of September...just broke 1,000 miles. It's my daily driver, my boat hauler, the grocery getter, and the family truckster....alll of my trucks have been used that way. Maintenance, tire rotation, oil changes, etc. 100k isn't high mileage anymore.

jsalbre

Reaction score
7 months in, 14k miles. A bit lower than my usual average, but with the TT out of commission for most of the summer we cut back on travel.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I've had mine since like March 2022. It is NOT a daily driver but has the Off Road package and mostly is dedicated to light off roading (National Forest), trip towing and transfer station duty. These things are a beast to park in town. So, I'm averaging right at 17K miles in 18 months with almost exactly half of that being travel trailer towing averaging right at or just below 8 mpg. We did around 6000 miles this year towing two big trips 3K miles a 1500 mile trip, a five hundred mile trip, then a bunch of short trips to state parks... We camped 35 days this year I believe or close + or -. I got things dialed in on the towing this year now having a road armor suspension on the trailer, and Good Year Endurance tires (big difference over China Bombs). I ran the OEM Firestone AT's to 16Kish without rotating, on purpose, and the rears were down close to the wear bar on the tires while the front looked practically new. I went and got BF Goodrich KO2's. I have read mixed reviews towing with them. I've had them on my 1500's and loved them except for tread life. So, first trip on them at 70 psi rear and 65 front actually increased my mpg by .3ish to .4 over the OEM AT's. That was a surprise. They are also a better "softer" ride without towing... NOW, next spring, for Tizer Lake the trailhead about 6 miles from home...but that won't be too many miles... http://www.montanaoverland4x4adventures.org/tizerbasinlooptrail.html

jsalbre

Reaction score
15k since February, 5k of that towing. According to Fuelly I’m averaging 10.9 mpg.

ClawSS

Reaction score
33,298 mi so far since 02/01/2022. (25k running 37's). All unloaded and the receiver hitch is still a virgin. I don't track mpg. If it needs it, I get it.
About 54mi. per day EVERY DAY since I took ownership. Commuting and Grocery Getting. Oh, and it was in a college Homecoming parade this past weekend. That added to the idle hours!

Wichita Dave

Reaction score
2022 2500 delivered May, 2022. 19.1K miles, 11.8K miles towing my 11K pound 5er.
On my 4th oil change (using the Pennzoil 0w-40 marked MS-A0921). Consumption has dropped from 0.7 quarts per thousand to 0.3 quarts per thousand. I used 87 octane gas for the first 10K miles but now use 89 octane. It just runs better with 89 octane. I haven't heard the "hemi tick" or valve train clattering in the last several thousand miles.

I think engine break in has taken most of the 19.1K miles. I'm happy with it. It makes good power and it doesn't get hot.

Redfour5

Reaction score
2022 2500 delivered May, 2022. 19.1K miles, 11.8K miles towing my 11K pound 5er.
On my 4th oil change (using the Pennzoil 0w-40 marked MS-A0921). Consumption has dropped from 0.7 quarts per thousand to 0.3 quarts per thousand. I used 87 octane gas for the first 10K miles but now use 89 octane. It just runs better with 89 octane. I haven't heard the "hemi tick" or valve train clattering in the last several thousand miles.

I think engine break in has taken most of the 19.1K miles. I'm happy with it. It makes good power and it doesn't get hot.
I took delivery Feb 2022 and am right at 19K miles with right at 9500 miles towing my 6700 lb 800 tongue weight 29 foot travel trailer. I've used 87 octane when daily driving it which mostly consists of big grocery runs, transfer station duty and some couple hundred mile day trips, light off roading. Having had three Ram 1500's I KNOW the hemi tick and have never heard it on mine. We do use it for Yellowstone in the winter three/four day trips we take in the winter, X country skiing, snowshoeing. The bed is perfect for all the stuff and it does a very good job in the park Gardiner side and over on the West Yellowstone side. We usually go three to five times a winter as the park is best in the winter with NO people, lots o animals and a totally different. Biggest improvement in ride? I drove the OEM Transforce tires and never rotated them. At 18K, the back tires were down to the bar while the front were great. I replaced with BF Goodrich KO'2s and won't go back. The KO2's do great towing as I've done a 500 mile trip on them at the end of Summer, the ride is softer particularly without the trailer. They are surprisingly quieter also. The OEM tranforces are rock hard tires and ride like a log wagon when aired up... I was a bit suprised by how much better the KO2's are. I'll rotate them also. And the severe weather three peak mountain makes a difference in snow of which we generally have a great deal here in MT.

I have had a 2018 Jeep Renegade as my main daily driver dog car... They are actually a very good daily driver if you live in the mountains in Montana. I got it as a practical tool but have grown to really enjoy it... It has an Easter Egg mode people don't know about and that is Sand mode on good national forest roads.

I noticed full break in around 11/12K miles I'd say. This last towing season you could tell it was in the groove... I love it as a tow beast, not so much for daily driving because it is a beast of a vehicle. Like I said, I had three 1500's and this thing is notably bigger in all respects... Just try to pull in straight into a slot in a parking lot after driving mostly in a jeep Renegade. But it is a tow beast and I love it. Most of its miles are in the spring summer fall towing yard work, hauling, transfer station and a few 4WD trails... I'm looking at a Jeep Gladiator as a new daily driver so the 2500 may do even less in the future.

Ram 2500 Aspen Trail.jpg

Attachments

• 20230204_135632.jpg
    20230204_135632.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Nick

Reaction score
Got mine in March of 2020 . 51 k mostly towing a 15 k 5th wheel . Only been in for a fuel pump and one code emission related when I first got it , other than that no problems .

Redfour5

Reaction score
Yes, it was new. I think I got a decent deal. Was not really looking to trade, but I felt I needed a 3/4 ton for the trailer.
I traded a 2021 1500 because I also felt that way. Fortunately this when used were still berzerk on pricing. Between the original 2015 I traded in for the 2021, and the 2021, I still was ahead but less than 10K.

Users who are viewing this thread