Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long have you been driving a diesel truck?

Myfast70

Reaction score
I drove a diesel Sprinter van from 2008-2013 for a company that I worked for and was thoroughly impressed with the 5 cyl it had. Then I got my 2500 last Nov and will always have one from here on out, I absolutely love mine!! And I wish fuel for it was even $1.89 now! I alway recall growing up how cheap diesel was and that it was always less than regular gas, those days are sadly long gone

maxx442

Reaction score
First personally owned was a '93 D350 Club Cab Dually. My new truck on order will be my sixth Cummins. Had a 7.3 Powerstroke, a Dirtymax and a Ram Ecodiesel sprinkled in there as well.

I think there are two groups of inexperienced diesel owners out there today. Those that don't understand the nuances of newer diesels ( DPF and regens, DEF, etc). There is a learning curve with these new trucks, even for us old farts.

The other group is those that read the forums and are scared because of reading the "Chicken Little, the sky is falling" stories of some people. Not that there haven't been issues with newer diesels, some people are just waiting for the same thing to happen to them and worry themselves to death.

As with anything, an informed individual is a happier one. Just my opinion.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
First personally owned was a '93 D350 Club Cab Dually. My new truck on order will be my sixth Cummins. Had a 7.3 Powerstroke, a Dirtymax and a Ram Ecodiesel sprinkled in there as well.

I think there are two groups of inexperienced diesel owners out there today. Those that don't understand the nuances of newer diesels ( DPF and regens, DEF, etc). There is a learning curve with these new trucks, even for us old farts.

The other group is those that read the forums and are scared because of reading the "Chicken Little, the sky is falling" stories of some people. Not that there haven't been issues with newer diesels, some people are just waiting for the same thing to happen to them and worry themselves to death.

As with anything, an informed individual is a happier one. Just my opinion.
You missed the third type of person… the young people who never tow and just want a diesel so they can run it on rubber band tires and roal coal on everyone and they dont care about anything aslong as the truck can smoke out people on the highway

RichM752

Reaction score
You missed the third type of person… the young people who never tow and just want a diesel so they can run it on rubber band tires and roal coal on everyone and they dont care about anything aslong as the truck can smoke out people on the highway
Lots of those yahoos around here.

MT1

Reaction score
about 2 months now. This is my first diesel. Granted I drove a F450 stake bed a few years ago for work but thats about it.

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
First diesel I have owned, but grew up driving and learned to drive on my grandfathers LLY Duramax. My brother had a 17' CTD but I did not pay much attention to it as I was going through my early life crisis and buying Porsche's, BMW's and my Nissan GTR. I have more pride of ownership, fun and overall enjoyment out of this truck than any other vehicle I have owned before (except possibly tied with my manual Cayman). I am fully converted and do not see any future that does not include a Cummins under the hood. Not only am I 3'' closer to Jesus with the Carli lift, but I hear music from heaven since putting my exhaust on.

Firewall

Reaction score
Firetrucks in my department starting switching to diesel in the early 80's. We did lots of "repowers" which were mostly disasters. Then we started with the 8V92 Detroits, great engine matched with an Allison transmission. Eventually drove Cummins, CAT's and even Internationals in the smaller trucks. Fun times! My current 6.7L Cummins is awesome!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Firetrucks in my department starting switching to diesel in the early 80's. We did lots of "repowers" which were mostly disasters. Then we started with the 8V92 Detroits, great engine matched with an Allison transmission. Eventually drove Cummins, CAT's and even Internationals in the smaller trucks. Fun times! My current 6.7L Cummins is awesome!
Nothing sweeter than the sound of those old Detroit's especially the 8v71 when the blower starts to whine!

zsqure

Reaction score
Since the 80's. First diesel p/u was a 6.9 ford 4 speed manual. That kind of sucked plowing snow. Had a first gen Cummins, 1 ton flatbed. Couple Duramaxes, this ram, Macks, Autocar, KW, Freightliner, Intertrashinal, L9000 Yep had a few.

dslbrnr

Reaction score
Since the 80's. First diesel p/u was a 6.9 ford 4 speed manual. That kind of sucked plowing snow. Had a first gen Cummins, 1 ton flatbed. Couple Duramaxes, this ram, Macks, Autocar, KW, Freightliner, Intertrashinal, L9000 Yep had a few.
Did your 6.9 International Navistar burn oil too?
I think mine burned about a quart every thousand miles from what I remember

zsqure

Reaction score
"2nd diesel was a disaster though. First year Ford 6.0 PoSD, 2003, bought new. Figured if GM could nail a 1st year motor, surely Ford could, given that they had a much better diesel rep at that time. Wrong. Ended up lemon lawing that thing after a year."

ISUZU designed the Duramax for GM, they formed a joint venture DMAX Ltd. Opened a manufacturing plant in Moraine Ohio and eventually bought out ISUZU's interest. Dam good motor compared to the boat anchor 6.2/6.5 designed in house. I still think someone else designed the 3.0L 1/2 ton Duramax for GM.

zsqure

Reaction score
Did your 6.9 International Navistar burn oil too?
I think mine burned about a quart every thousand miles from what I remember
That I can't remember. That 3/4 ton truck did not last long, was traded in on a 1 ton service body truck.

G’Dave

Reaction score
I have driven a few diesel cars in Australia and Europe in the 1980's and 1990's. Mostly small cars (French and German), as well as a variety of traditional "Aussie" 4WD's (Toyota Land Cruisers, Nissan Patrols, Mitsubishi Pajero's). Diesel was always the cheapest fuel available in Europe and Australia in those days.
I bought a 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and have clocked up 160K in 7 years. No troubles (GDE Hot Tune). It's a 3.0L V6 from VM Motori - an Italian Diesel engine manufacturer that is now owned by Stellantis.
Excited to be getting the 6.4 Hemi "muscle car" lol.

buzzuti

Reaction score
What?

LOL
LOL, Army Vet I be.

Max1 stated that he drove an M109, which would most likely make him 13B (or possibly a mechanic, making an assumption)
13B are also affectionately called, Gun Bunnies

I got to drive a M113, M577, M981, and a M2A2 Bradley during my stint in the Army as a 13F aka Forward Observer.

Bombdigitty

Reaction score
Started driving L9000 era and Areomax era fords when i was 10, moving straight trucks around and shunting trailers.
Worked for a Cat dealer for last 17 years.
Just bought my first diesel last summer.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, Army Vet I be.

Max1 stated that he drove an M109, which would most likely make him 13B (or possibly a mechanic, making an assumption)
13B are also affectionately called, Gun Bunnies

I got to drive a M113, M577, M981, and a M2A2 Bradley during my stint in the Army as a 13F aka Forward Observer.

I know, it was a hearing loss joke.

Users who are viewing this thread