Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is the GVWR determined 3500s

kobra

Reaction score
Agree with your comments, and that the thread went sideways; hope that my post #16 was helpful to the OP.

B

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score
@ansells09 - So in all the wrangling, I'm not sure you got the answer you were looking for...
I don't know the formula for how RAM exactly determines their GVWR, but in generic terms here are some of the considerations:
-engine and engine braking, along with brakes. (higher GVWR considers the ratings for acceleration and deceleration so that's why all 3 make a difference)
-strength of frame and length of frame (cummins frames and engine mounts obviously need to be much heavier than gas engines. Also longer frame resists twisting more)
-suspension and axle ratings, as you've mentioned.

What is even more interesting to me, and I didn't realize it when I ordered my truck, is the difference between the Cummins HO, Short box 4x4 cab models -the mega cab has a higher GVWR than the Crew Cab. (12,300 for mega and 11,800 for CC)
I assume on the above example the only difference is length of frame, and that is where additional GVWR was allowed. Which is again interesting, because the length of the frame on the mega cab is in between the length of the CC shortbox and longbox, yet it gets the higher rating the same as the longbox.

Hope that provides a better answer...
B
Not sure where you are getting your info, buT MCSB and CCLB are the SAME! wheelbase, hence the same GVRW. I would guess
that the longer wheelbase allows for higher rating. (more stable)

kobra

Reaction score
Not sure where you are getting your info, buT MCSB and CCLB are the SAME! wheelbase, hence the same GVRW. I would guess
that the longer wheelbase allows for higher rating. (more stable)
Read what I wrote, I was not comparing SB and LB.

And, if you want to know where I get my info; google the ram tow charts, not hard to find. I could do that for you, but I don't want to take any more time on this than you did to misread my post ;)

B

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score

And, if you want to know where I get my info; google the ram tow charts, not hard to find. I could do that for you, but I don't want to take any more time on this than you did to misread my

And, if you want to know where I get my info; google the ram tow charts, not hard to find. I could do that for you, but I don't want to take any more time on this than you did to misread my post ;)

B
Whoops, my bad.......Megacab shortbed wb is 160 Crewcab longbed wb is 169.5 Crewcab shortbed wb is 149.5.....Seems strange that they wouldn't have
just put that 9 inches back into the bed length, but what do I know. Anyhow, I'm guessing that the longer wb of MC allows for higher GVWR over
CC shortbed

kobra

Reaction score
Whoops, my bad.......Megacab shortbed wb is 160 Crewcab longbed wb is 169.5 Crewcab shortbed wb is 149.5.....Seems strange that they wouldn't have
just put that 9 inches back into the bed length, but what do I know. Anyhow, I'm guessing that the longer wb of MC allows for higher GVWR over
CC shortbed
Yes, I find it interesting that the SB Mega Cab has a wheelbase in between the SB and LB crew cabs but gains the extra GVWR of the LB. I (incorrectly) assumed it had the lower GVWR of the SB CC, so I also assumed they would have much less payload because of the heavier cab. In the end, the payload ends up being about 250lbs more on the MC... so with ~500lbs more GVWR, the cab must weigh ~250lbs more than the CC. (at least that's the back of the napkin math from a couple models I saw on the lots).
I "might" have been more interested in the MC if I'd known it actually had the higher payload.

B

Users who are viewing this thread