Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is that 12" screen, specifically with Android Auto?

jm888

Reaction score
I initially thought the screen may be an overkill, and read somewhere in some of the older posts that it didn't work well with Android Auto, or split the screen and only gave you a small useable area for Android Auto, and that the Nav is not very good, which is fine because I like Google Maps. Anyways, since those posts were older and I haven't seen much new about it, just wondering how it is now. Is it pretty useful? Can you like use half the screen for maps and the other half for a music app on your phone, like Amazon music or something? And are there enough physical buttons or are you controlling pretty much everything on the touchscreen?

bfs673

Reaction score
I initially thought the screen may be an overkill, and read somewhere in some of the older posts that it didn't work well with Android Auto, or split the screen and only gave you a small useable area for Android Auto, and that the Nav is not very good, which is fine because I like Google Maps. Anyways, since those posts were older and I haven't seen much new about it, just wondering how it is now. Is it pretty useful? Can you like use half the screen for maps and the other half for a music app on your phone, like Amazon music or something? And are there enough physical buttons or are you controlling pretty much everything on the touchscreen?

Personally I like it. I use both Android auto and Apple Carplay often (mostly CP since it's on my work phone). The nav screen for AA/CP is smaller than it likely would be on the 8.4 screen as it is in a split screen on the 12".

I don't find it to be annoyingly small, and my eyes aren't what they used to be.
I only wish the AA/CP would send nav instructions to the display cluster.

If I were to order my truck again, I'd opt for the 12" screen!

There are a few annoyances here and there, but these are nit-picky first world issues.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I find it works great for AA. I have Google Maps running on the top and Spotify from AA running on the bottom. You could put Sirius on the bottom if you wanted to listen to satellite.

relbus

Reaction score
It’s great. I have the u connect 8.4 in my Rubicon and Sync 3 in our Explorer and I prefer the 12” in my Ram over either.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I like how you can split the screen on the 12" and set it up to view 2 different platforms of info like mentioned above.

jm888

Reaction score
I like how you can split the screen on the 12" and set it up to view 2 different platforms of info like mentioned above.
Is it easy to control the heat and air, like through some hard buttons or knobs, or do you have to go through the screen for everything?

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Is it easy to control the heat and air, like through some hard buttons or knobs, or do you have to go through the screen for everything?
There are physical buttons for temperature up and down (on each side for passenger/driver), as well as physical up/down controls for the fan speed, a physical A/C button and front/rear defrost buttons as well.

The controls to change vent/floor, heated/ventilated seats, heated wheel, etc... are soft and only available on the screen (but still very easily manageable).

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
IIRC, the screen size for AA is a Google and not a UConnect issue... and honestly, I like the split screen...

Pronto

Reaction score
Just did a road trip running Waze on top and Amazon music on the bottom. That split screen is a really nice improvement over my old 8.4. I don't use it much around town but I really like it for road trips and to me it's worthwhile just for that.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Just did a road trip running Waze on top and Amazon music on the bottom. That split screen is a really nice improvement over my old 8.4. I don't use it much around town but I really like it for road trips and to me it's worthwhile just for that.
Has Amazon Music gotten any better about playing the songs you actually want? I gave up trying to use it with AA since it never seemed to play what I wanted and the last I searched Google/Amazon still had no answers.

Pronto

Reaction score
Has Amazon Music gotten any better about playing the songs you actually want? I gave up trying to use it with AA since it never seemed to play what I wanted and the last I searched Google/Amazon still had no answers.
I don't know about that. I've only been using it for my own playlists. I'll have to give their stuff a try sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread