Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How hot is to hot?

Fishdip

Reaction score
Ram over heated a few times IE the temp warning was coming on. Also the truck would start High idling for no reason. Got the truck to dealer and so far they say the fan is not work. So my question is how hot is to hot and and what do I need to have them check before I take the truck back. Its a 2022 2500 with 29k temps it would hit 254.

Attachments

• 72CC6C17-75BD-42CB-AAAD-FD4F0CDEF8D6.jpeg
    72CC6C17-75BD-42CB-AAAD-FD4F0CDEF8D6.jpeg
    418.1 KB · Views: 73

silver billet

Reaction score
I can't see any high idling, what are your actual RPMs? Are you sure it's idling high and not just the noise of the fan you're hearing? At 240f the fan should be on.

These trucks are programmed to run hot, you can see on the gauges that oil temp is still well within what Ram considers "normal".

If you take that screenshot into a ram dealer they're going to say "working as intended", because that's how they all work.

If you get the overheating warning, then definitely take a pic of that and send that to the dealer, because from what I see here it's all looking "normal" (though it's hotter than I would prefer too, that's simply how they're designed to run so dealer won't fix it).

flan

Reaction score
Were you towing? Hills? Outside temp? How’s your coolant level?

Fishdip

Reaction score
These trucks are programmed to run hot, you can see on the gauges that oil temp is still well within what Ram considers "normal".

If you take that screenshot into a ram dealer they're going to say "working as intended", because that's how they all work.

If you get the overheating warning, then definitely take a pic of that and send that to the dealer, because from what I see here it's all looking "normal" (though it's hotter than I would prefer too, that's simply how they're designed to run so dealer won't fix it).
Sorry it looks like I uploaded the wrong video. Working on the other one now. But with it hitting as high as 254 still not going to be a issue for longevity?

Fishdip

Reaction score
Were you towing? Hills? Outside temp? How’s your coolant level?
It will do it when towing some times it will do it on flat ground and it will do it when its 45 or even 82. Coolant is about a 1/6th under the line it should be at.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
There is nothing normal about those temps.

Your Cummins has a 190° thermostat. The thermostat should start to open at 190°, be fully open by 207°, and pull most hard/hot/heavy hills at 215-220°. Cummins lists the max allowable temp for that thermostat at 225°, but Ram publishes 245°. Either way, you are running a lot hotter than normal.

Your fan should be commanded to 100% at those temps.

I would make an appointment with Ram, something is wrong.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't see any high idling, what are your actual RPMs? Are you sure it's idling high and not just the noise of the fan you're hearing? At 240f the fan should be on.

Sorry, but these trucks are absolutely not programmed to run hot. They regulate temperature mechanically and get cooling assistance electronically, but the those two items work together around the mechanical thermostat.

They also go into fast idle when ECT’s are too high, so while it is working as intended rpm wise there is something very wrong with the motor to see those temps you are trying to explain as normal.

I’m not sure what’s wrong with your truck, but there is nothing normal about a CTD at 230° or 239° like you indicated. They absolutely do not “all” work that way.

There isn’t even an oil temp sensor on the OP’s truck, so that reading is completely fake.. why even reference it as normal?

CharlieL

Reaction score
Sorry, but these trucks are absolutely not programmed to run hot. ... There isn’t even an oil temp sensor on the OP’s truck, so that reading is completely fake.. why even reference it as normal?
From the OP's video, his dash looks alot like my 2022 2500, which happens to be at 29.5k miles. I'm certain my truck has oil temp; that is displayed on the accessory gauges as well as how I have my EVIC configured. I like having it in the EVIC to keep an eye on all temps.

The OP's temps certainly look way too hot. My truck was running 188 coolant/194 oil after much stop and go around town yesterday, with the OAT at 100. Maybe we will hear about any resolution; maybe not.

Attachments

• Ram Accessory Gauges.jpg
    Ram Accessory Gauges.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 22

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
From the OP's video, his dash looks alot like my 2022 2500, which happens to be at 29.5k miles. I'm certain my truck has oil temp; that is displayed on the accessory gauges as well as how I have my EVIC configured. I like having it in the EVIC to keep an eye on all temps.

The OP's temps certainly look way too hot. My truck was running 188 coolant/194 oil after much stop and go around town yesterday, with the OAT at 100. Maybe we will hear about any resolution; maybe not.

Your truck does display oil temp, but it doesn’t have an oil temp sensor so the display is an algorithm and not based on actual temps.

The oil pressure reading is also fake.

Coolant temp, battery voltage, and trans temp are real numbers thou.

CharlieL

Reaction score
Your truck does display oil temp, but it doesn’t have an oil temp sensor so the display is an algorithm and not based on actual temps.

The oil pressure reading is also fake.

Coolant temp, battery voltage, and trans temp are real numbers thou.
Did not know this. Most interesting.

Fishdip

Reaction score
So the truck is at the dealer so far they found something with the fan is broken so it was not working at all the turbo overheated and cracked and they are still digging in. So I guess my next question is what do I need to make sure they look at so I know no long term damage was done?

Fishdip

Reaction score

Same truck almost same miles!

Riddick

Reaction score
Once you get your truck back make sure you are monitoring your coolant temps and coolant levels. If there was any damage it would likely be related to a head gasket or cooling system. Monitoring temps and levels will tell you if there is an issue.

If its only fan related you should have only experienced overheating in low speed situations, at highway speeds the truck should maintain a safe operating temp. As long as you didn't run it hard or for extended periods when it got hot chances are you are fine.

silver billet

Reaction score
Sorry it looks like I uploaded the wrong video. Working on the other one now. But with it hitting as high as 254 still not going to be a issue for longevity?

For some reason I had assumed you had the hemi, so my bad, I have no idea what is normal for cummins.

Fishdip

Reaction score
Once you get your truck back make sure you are monitoring your coolant temps and coolant levels. If there was any damage it would likely be related to a head gasket or cooling system. Monitoring temps and levels will tell you if there is an issue.

If its only fan related you should have only experienced overheating in low speed situations, at highway speeds the truck should maintain a safe operating temp. As long as you didn't run it hard or for extended periods when it got hot chances are you are fine.
Yes at high way speeds it drop it back down to the normal 180-200. The only time it hit the 254 is when it was in stop and go. The dealer said they do a compression test on it so that should clear up if the head is bad correct?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes at high way speeds it drop it back down to the normal 180-200. The only time it hit the 254 is when it was in stop and go. The dealer said they do a compression test on it so that should clear up if the head is bad correct?

Yes, they should indicate any head or head gasket issues.

Users who are viewing this thread