Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Hard Does a 6.7L Cummins Need to Be Worked To Avoid Issues?

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Interesting on your dash, I wonder if a software update is needed.

How long did your stationary regen last? They were right at an hour on my '18. I'll be doing one on the '22 in a couple weeks right before my oil change.
Seemed like all day, I couldn't wait for it to be over. It had to have been most of an hour.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Seemed like all day, I couldn't wait for it to be over. It had to have been most of an hour.

Yeah they get hot!

I help the truck out with a fan and cooling the radiator with a hose.

desertskier

Reaction score
After re-reading some threads it doesn't sound like there is a definitive answer on whether the gauge/message is functional on trucks built without the sensor. Basically just a lot of opinions and observations. Some say the gauge works and they get a display message when a regen is occurring others say that they don't get either or just one or the other. My guess is that they were patching the firmware on the fly to account for the lack of a sensor and they did multiple revisions. Depending on when your truck was built your gauge/message may or may not be functional but that's just another opinion.

Adam06

Reaction score
I have about 6000 miles and my truck has never showed any regen messages and gauge is always at zero.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
After re-reading some threads it doesn't sound like there is a definitive answer on whether the gauge/message is functional on trucks built without the sensor. Basically just a lot of opinions and observations. Some say the gauge works and they get a display message when a regen is occurring others say that they don't get either or just one or the other. My guess is that they were patching the firmware on the fly to account for the lack of a sensor and they did multiple revisions. Depending on when your truck was built your gauge/message may or may not be functional but that's just another opinion.

The gauge works as advertised on 2022’s, @Blythkd1 has a unique issue on his. It would be interesting to see if a monitor like the CTS3 picks up his active regens or if the issue is deeper.

If the gauge reads 0% all the time that’s a good thing.

Regens are usually short, and depending on driver, or driving conditions, they may not be noticed either audibly or on the DPF screen.

I know multiple people who swear their truck has never regened because they never noticed it. If the truck has more than 24 hours on it then it’s had a regen, and the 19+ trucks tell you when you’re in an active regen.

Many drivers are just oblivious to the nuances of their vehicles. I’ve been in trucks with drivers that claim they have never noticed a regen and then have been able to point one out to them.

At the end of the day it’s far more likely that people just don’t notice the regen happening, or indications of them happening, instead of them not happening or being indicated.

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
My DPF guage will start showing if I do more shorter trips over time, but never exceded the 1/4 (25%) mark. Usually my longer unloaded drives or putting load on it brings it back down to 0%. My active regens usually around that 24hr -/+ mark and displays on the screen Active Regen in Process for approximatley 20 miles and screen clears with 0%. I do hear a different tone of the engine when it goes into active regen at a stop.

jebruns

Reaction score
I know multiple people who swear their truck has never regened because they never noticed it. If the truck has more than 24 hours on it then it’s had a regen, and the 19+ trucks tell you when you’re in an active regen.
I don't claim my truck has never regened, but I do pay attention to the dash, and I've never had any dash indication that the truck is doing a regen. I watched the gauge on a recent 850 mile pull. Stayed close to zero the whole time. I don't watch it anymore.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't claim my truck has never regened, but I do pay attention to the dash, and I've never had any dash indication that the truck is doing a regen. I watched the gauge on a recent 850 mile pull. Stayed close to zero the whole time. I don't watch it anymore.
Not trying to be a naysayer but there is a chance, on that 850 mile pull, the timing was such that you had not reached the 24 hour trigger yet. If you are regularly pulling with the truck, and your gauge is reading 0% constantly, you are keeping the DPF clean through passive regeneration. Constant towing at highway speeds, you could easily achieve 1,000-1,200 miles between the 24 hour regeneration cycles….maybe even more.

Ive encountered lots of operators who have claimed their trucks didn’t notify them either, but after running with the instrument cluster on the gauge perpetually and watching it like a hawk, they did indeed finally see the message. It is incredibly easy to miss when you’re on the highway cruising at 70-75 with the truck working and your mind on anything but regeneration cycles.

If your truck is not giving you that message then there has to be a malfunction causing that. @Jimmy07 any idea if there could be something causing the lack of notice in the instrument cluster or programming?

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
I have just under 17k miles on my Cummins now. I tow infrequently, and just mostly drive it to work (highway) but will drive around town too. Nothing has gone wrong with the emissions yet and I only see regens at the 24 engine hr cycle.

wyvern

Reaction score
I have just under 17k miles on my Cummins now. I tow infrequently, and just mostly drive it to work (highway) but will drive around town too. Nothing has gone wrong with the emissions yet and I only see regens at the 24 engine hr cycle.
What year? I've seen some cheaper 2022 models available. Found one that I'd 100% buy off the lot, with a build date of 10/21.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
What year? I've seen some cheaper 2022 models available. Found one that I'd 100% buy off the lot, with a build date of 10/21.
2022. Funny that just yesterday driving to work I saw the DPF gauge go to it's highest level I have ever seen. It was at about the 1/3 line when I started, and then almost went to the 50% point but then went back down to ~30%. If anything, I think it's probably the conglomeration of fuel that I have been putting in this truck lately. (renewable blends/dino-diesel etc)

wrvond

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I’ve never owned an emissions regulated diesel before and I am confused about the level of “working” these engines need to avoid potential issues.

Basically everything you read about these engines claim that “as long as you work them, there are no issues”. However, is spirited highway driving considered working them? Or is this limited to high capacity towing?

I will be using my truck for long highway trips and occasional hauling. Some of these comments worry me insofar as not working the truck enough such that it always has to go into active regen. I’d rather rely more on passive regen for long term engine health.

Any opinions appreciated.

My gauge got up to just shy of the 50% full mark when it started a regen cycle (the first one for this truck). I was on a highway when it kicked in, so I drove past my planned exit until it cleared, then went back to my original destination.
Screenshot 2023-10-23 112841.jpg
Screenshot 2023-10-23 112936.jpg

It completed the cycle in 14.4 miles and my fuel mileage dropped a bit.

In my opinion and experience (previous truck) the SCR isn't going to become an issue until after the 200,000 mile mark or so.
Top tier fuel while avoiding practices that generate excess soot make the difference.
I've hit the 1,000 mile mark and the gauge is still at zero - I'll take that as a good sign.

BTW- my impression is that the '23 models are the best of breed at this point. Reading all the recalls for various issues for '19+ trucks makes me glad I waited. My F350 had a CP4 fuel pump and I lived in constant fear of it grenading. The '23 comes from the factory with the CP3 so none of the issues people getting the update performed seem to be having. Plus I've got the really great mirrors!

Users who are viewing this thread