Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Hard Does a 6.7L Cummins Need to Be Worked To Avoid Issues?

wyvern

Reaction score
The trucks built in 2021 were better trucks. That I can attest to. I’m very happy I ordered my 2022 when I did. Built 10/9/21 and delivered 11/29/21. It would seem I missed the Aisin K1 snap ring issue and my DPF regenerates as it should. It looks as though the bottom fell out somewhere around May - June of 2022 and it got progressively worse from there.
Hoping the 2024 trucks are in better shape. Not sure if I should hold off.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Having a hard time figuring out the value of a gauge that never reads anything but 0. Literally NEVER read anything but ZERO. Maybe it's valuable for some guys but not me. That's why I ignore it. It's pointless for me.

I guess mine just regens every 24 hours, which at 50mph avg is every 1200 miles. Not bad. Seems like the best diesel out there right now.

It’s no different that any gauge, aside from DEF/Fuel, it doesn’t tell you anything until it does.

It’s far more useful that the oil pressure and oil temperature gauges we can program on our dash.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoping the 2024 trucks are in better shape. Not sure if I should hold off.
Personally i think if I was in that position right now, I think I might hold off and see what 2025 brings. Maybe find a deal on a good used truck and ride it out for a year or so. Lots of low mileage 2021’s out there you can scoop up.

wyvern

Reaction score
Personally i think if I was in that position right now, I think I might hold off and see what 2025 brings. Maybe find a deal on a good used truck and ride it out for a year or so. Lots of low mileage 2021’s out there you can scoop up.
Yeah, I’ve been down this road extensively. The issue is 2021s with Adaptive Cruise are incredibly rare. That feature is an absolute requirement for me. Plus these later gen Cummins hold their value ridiculously well. People wanna get paid for these things and buying new with a full warranty is often only $10k of difference.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
It’s no different that any gauge, aside from DEF/Fuel, it doesn’t tell you anything until it does.

It’s far more useful that the oil pressure and oil temperature gauges we can program on our dash.
Guess I'm still wondering when it's ever going to tell me anything. At 50k miles I've given up.

desertskier

Reaction score
My '22 is missing the sensor and I have never seen the gauge move off zero. I thought I read in one of these threads that without the sensor the gauge is not functional. Is that true?

tchur1

Reaction score
My '22 is missing the sensor and I have never seen the gauge move off zero. I thought I read in one of these threads that without the sensor the gauge is not functional. Is that true?
that is not true. My truck does not have the sensor and the gauge will read off zero. It has only recently started to show above 0 and its likely because im due to change my air filter.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct. That rumor is an old one, and inaccurate. The gauge in the dash is driven by from….I’m assuming….the differential pressure sensor data from the DPF. I’m not sure if there is any other data that’s mixed in there. I’ve inquired with Ram through multiple channels as to what data specifically is used to generate a reading on that gauge and have come up empty handed each time.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Guess I'm still wondering when it's ever going to tell me anything. At 50k miles I've given up.

It’s telling you something when it reads 0%. It’s telling you that your driving style doesn’t accumulate soot in the DPF. That’s a good thing.

It will also tell you when you are in a regen, which can be nice if you notice the engine sounds different. I can always hear the difference unless I’m towing at highway speeds.

Last edited:

Riddick

Reaction score
The trucks built in 2021 were better trucks. That I can attest to. I’m very happy I ordered my 2022 when I did. Built 10/9/21 and delivered 11/29/21. It would seem I missed the Aisin K1 snap ring issue and my DPF regenerates as it should. It looks as though the bottom fell out somewhere around May - June of 2022 and it got progressively worse from there.

Our trucks were a couple of weeks apart, mine was built on 10/25/21. I do agree with you something changed roughly half way through the MY22 build cycle. There are far to many posts from late build 22s and now we are seeing the 23s reporting DPF issues. Mine has gone through a few active regens but nothing out of the ordinary. My truck was built without the PM sensor but my DPF gauge still worked. I recently had the recall done to add the sensor so we will see if there are any changes. I try to limit the short trips as much as I can and I only tow a smaller enclosed trailer 1-2 times per month.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Our trucks were a couple of weeks apart, mine was built on 10/25/21. I do agree with you something changed roughly half way through the MY22 build cycle. There are far to many posts from late build 22s and now we are seeing the 23s reporting DPF issues. Mine has gone through a few active regens but nothing out of the ordinary. My truck was built without the PM sensor but my DPF gauge still worked. I recently had the recall done to add the sensor so we will see if there are any changes. I try to limit the short trips as much as I can and I only tow a smaller enclosed trailer 1-2 times per month.
For-sure.
Mine has been mechanically sound. No issues and the regeneration cycles run as I would expect them to. Lots of quality control issues that were addressed under warranty but no major mechanical malfunctions.
IMG_3411.jpeg

Blythkd1

Reaction score
It will also tell you when you are in a regen
Nope. Mine does not. It never reads anything but the 0% gauge. The only time it has ever shown anything different is when I manually triggered a stationary regen. It would actually be nice if it did show when it's in regen but the only way I can tell is when the tailpipe becomes a blow torch and my mileage goes to shti.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. Mine does not. It never reads anything but the 0% gauge. The only time it has ever shown anything different is when I manually triggered a stationary regen. It would actually be nice if it did show when it's in regen but the only way I can tell is when the tailpipe becomes a blow torch and my mileage goes to shti.

It should be telling you when the 24 hour regens are triggered, the C&C’s indicate like the pickups (verified on a friends 2022 5500). If you’re in park the regen message goes away. Have you monitored it around the 24 hour mark for a plus/minus a couple hours to see. You can divide your total hours by 24 and that should put you in the ballpark. 24.3 hours is about the mean time per regen for me, on 24 hour regens.

Interesting on the mileage, mine hardly changes in regen unless the roads are wet. The evaporative cooling on the DPF really takes a lot more fuel to regen.

Last edited:

Blythkd1

Reaction score
It should be telling you when the 24 hour regens are triggered, the C&C’s indicate like the pickups (verified on a friends 2022 5500). If you’re in park the regen message goes away. Have you monitored it around the 24 hour mark for a plus/minus a couple hours to see. You can divide your total hours by 24 and that should put you in the ballpark. 24.3 hours is about the mean time per regen for me, on 24 hour regens.

Interesting on the mileage, mine hardly changes in regen unless the roads are wet. The evaporative cooling on the DPF really takes a lot more fuel to regen.
Mine's the exact opposite. I agree it should be telling me when the 24 hour regen is triggered but it doesn't. And when it's in park doing the stationary regen, it shows a message the entire time and does somewhat of a countdown during the last few minutes although I don't recall the specific details for sure. And I'm not going to do it again just to refresh my memory on the countdown details. Seems like it was the last 10 minutes or something like that.

And yes, I recently noted when a regen completed and wrote down the hours. The next day when the 24 hours was up I watched for the regen to start then checked the dpf screen. It never showed anything but the gauge with 0%. No message of any kind. This was just a couple weeks ago. I've watched that gauge many times during a regen and it never changes.

My instant mileage on the highway usually hangs around 18-20. When I was in regen recently it was mostly showing about 14mpg. Glad it only lasts a few minutes. Since my tanks hold 74 gallons, I can't really see it in my mileage over a tank run. I've been running around 12.5mpg mixed towing and empty. That's 8-9 towing and 19-ish empty.

desertskier

Reaction score
I have never seen an indication of a regen, gauge or otherwise. I don't pay that much attention to engine noise or MPG but I have never seen a display message either. I typically don't DD my truck. It sits in the garage and we take it to our lake hangout every other weekend. So about 3hrs each way. Maybe that's why the gauge is zero.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine's the exact opposite. I agree it should be telling me when the 24 hour regen is triggered but it doesn't. And when it's in park doing the stationary regen, it shows a message the entire time and does somewhat of a countdown during the last few minutes although I don't recall the specific details for sure. And I'm not going to do it again just to refresh my memory on the countdown details. Seems like it was the last 10 minutes or something like that.

And yes, I recently noted when a regen completed and wrote down the hours. The next day when the 24 hours was up I watched for the regen to start then checked the dpf screen. It never showed anything but the gauge with 0%. No message of any kind. This was just a couple weeks ago. I've watched that gauge many times during a regen and it never changes.

My instant mileage on the highway usually hangs around 18-20. When I was in regen recently it was mostly showing about 14mpg. Glad it only lasts a few minutes. Since my tanks hold 74 gallons, I can't really see it in my mileage over a tank run. I've been running around 12.5mpg mixed towing and empty. That's 8-9 towing and 19-ish empty.

Interesting on your dash, I wonder if a software update is needed.

How long did your stationary regen last? They were right at an hour on my '18. I'll be doing one on the '22 in a couple weeks right before my oil change.

wyvern

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, everyone. I am happy it sounds like, under normal mechanical operation, highway driving for longer periods of time should be enough to keep your emissions system healthy.

I’m still leaning toward just putting in an order for an HO and hoping for the best with the 2024 models. I wish the used market were better.

pugnacious33

Reaction score
So you pay 70k for a truck that will break if you have to do some city driving? The whole idea is silly.

Users who are viewing this thread