Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you transport your dogs

Camper99

Reaction score
I noticed that many people here let their dogs ride in the back seat. That does look like a great setup back there, especially on the fold flat floor. You all must never have passengers riding in the back seat then if the dogs take it up. How about you guys that have 4 or 5 people riding in the truck?
Our longer trips include five humans (kids are 16, 13 and 10), a 5yr old Lab, a Lab puppy (currently 6 months), and the cat. The Megacab with the front bench seat was a must-have. One dog up front, one in the backseat, and the cat mostly wherever he wants to be.

Here a pic of Murphy and Gus watching the truck during a pitstop.

20210903_120115.jpg

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
I let my wife put him in her car. Dog has some skin condition and smells terrible. I wouldnt let him near the truck.

• Haha
Reactions: CFE

mcarey

Reaction score
I have a Ruffland Kennel ratchet strapped to the bed. Picked up a Mud River insulated cover for it for the winter, and after duck hunting or fishing and such when she's wet.

In the warmer months, I'll roll around with my soft topper sides/rear up. If I'm just going around town I'll leave the door open so she can pop in/out at stop lights and whatnot. If we're moving she stays put in the kennel though. On the highway the door gets closed. And for long trips in the warmer months, I'll pop open the bottom corners of the front of the cover, and leave the rear rolled up so she gets some airflow. Also toss a batter powered fan in there just to help.

She loves the kennel. Does great camping in there too. I'll never not crate-train another dog in my life.

dm6

Reaction score
I guess I will resurrect this thread again since I will be getting a new golden here in the next few weeks! I'm sure it will be in the cab for a little bit while it is a pup, but there won't be room for long and it will end up in the back. I am going to get a cap (I guess I will get one with the sliding windows for better ventilation even though I like the looks of the SUV style windows better)and if I am just running to the store or park or something, it can probably just be situated loose back there but when we go on trips, especially camping, there is usually a bunch of stuff back there so I would definitely put a crate so stuff doesn't fall all over the dog. For you guys that mentioned that you use a crate under a cap, what do you have? Just like one of those typical plastic crates? I don't think one of those heavy duty ones would be necessary since it is not out in the open bed. How about the wire ones?

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I guess I will resurrect this thread again since I will be getting a new golden here in the next few weeks! I'm sure it will be in the cab for a little bit while it is a pup, but there won't be room for long and it will end up in the back. I am going to get a cap (I guess I will get one with the sliding windows for better ventilation even though I like the looks of the SUV style windows better)and if I am just running to the store or park or something, it can probably just be situated loose back there but when we go on trips, especially camping, there is usually a bunch of stuff back there so I would definitely put a crate so stuff doesn't fall all over the dog. For you guys that mentioned that you use a crate under a cap, what do you have? Just like one of those typical plastic crates? I don't think one of those heavy duty ones would be necessary since it is not out in the open bed. How about the wire ones?
When my old man did animal control he had used the plastic one which worked well under the cap also used a wire one which was great aswell nice thing about the wire one was when you took it out of the truck it would fold up to take up much less space for storage

Burton12387

Reaction score
d50968fbfce93c4a3c664380aba11a2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwin

Reaction score
For you guys that mentioned that you use a crate under a cap, what do you have? Just like one of those typical plastic crates? I don't think one of those heavy duty ones would be necessary since it is not out in the open bed. How about the wire ones?
My wife bought a Gunner Kennel for our dog. It’s plastic, but double walled heavy duty. I believe it’s the only one on the market that is crash tested. They are expensive ($600 I think) and you buy one based on your dogs size (M to XXL I think). We tie it down with 4 straps, pack our stuff around it and go.

I have flip up windows on my topper. I screwed some blocks on a hinge and secure it to the topper window edge. That way, when it’s hot in the summer I swing the block down which keeps the window open/out 4” or so and makes airflow. I use a bungee cord to keep the window from swinging all the way up. I also wired a $12, 4” fan to my 7 pin and zip tie it to the kennel door blowing air on her face constantly. No issues over the 3000 miles we’ve done this in the summer.

1651Naismith

Reaction score
i use the standard plastic kennel that you can get at Petsmart for our labs. Works fine even off roading. Just make sure to tie it down before packing around it.

dm6

Reaction score
I never would have thought about CO. Is this something to be concerned about on an older truck, possibly with holes in the exhaust system? I like the CO detector idea. Anyone have one that would notify you remotely, since you probably wouldn't hear it going off back there?

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't I just haven't heard of it. I would assume that exhaust leaks, or improperly positions exhaust exits would be the primary cause here. Perhaps a CO detector would be good for piece of mind?

Either way, frankly I'd prefer to avoid adding a cap anyway unless I have to. I like the idea of having it, and had one for a bit that I enjoyed, but I really like having the bed open. Is it a requirement that dogs in crates have the cap?

I really care about the dog obviously, and if it's gonna take a cap to make sure he's comfortable then I guess I'll make due. I'm just not sure if I want to commit to that fully, especially if I don't have to.

Bigkeeper

Reaction score
We are just beginning our time camping with a pull behind trailer. I am curious how you transport your pups. I have a family of 5 in a mega cab and a growing German Shepard. Right now, she lays on the floor board in the back but I know this isn't going to be forever once she get bigger. I can also do without the hair. I am thinking of a Gunner Kennel and a Snugtop Truck cap....

Just curious what others do. I looked and couldn't find a post about this so if this is a repeat question, I apologize.

The Master Chief enjoys the Gunner, they are safe and great quality

Attachments

• 1B4656CC-F354-46FE-98E8-05D7DFDE9F88.jpeg
    1B4656CC-F354-46FE-98E8-05D7DFDE9F88.jpeg
    914.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 2FBF5BA6-E2CA-4A22-A12D-CF44AB93501C.jpeg
    2FBF5BA6-E2CA-4A22-A12D-CF44AB93501C.jpeg
    571.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 2029C13D-017A-43D6-9908-E3E485CA8043.jpeg
    2029C13D-017A-43D6-9908-E3E485CA8043.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 58

Bobmog

Reaction score
If it is all of them we use a Pinzgauer, if it is just a couple we use the smaller Haflinger.

Attachments

• Dogs in Pinz.jpg
    Dogs in Pinz.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 40
  • Dogs haffy.jpg
    Dogs haffy.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 40

Tdmva21

Reaction score
Newer to this site and just looking around searching topics.
I’ve always had a topper/cap and use a kennel strapped down in it. I got a Gunner Kennel when it came out and always make sure I have the side windows that can flip up and have a slider/screen in it. That ventilates it enough. Nowadays I have a Milwaukee battery powered fan that I run if I’m stopped for a while and the dog has to stay in the kennel (training days for example).
In the winter I can leave the dog in the kennel overnight if necessary with the windows all closed up and in the morning you can feel the heat when you open the kennel door. That’s with a light insulated cover over the gunner. The kennel cover is a 15 year old one from Avery I had for the old pet smart or whatever.

dm6

Reaction score
Newer to this site and just looking around searching topics.
I’ve always had a topper/cap and use a kennel strapped down in it. I got a Gunner Kennel when it came out and always make sure I have the side windows that can flip up and have a slider/screen in it. That ventilates it enough. Nowadays I have a Milwaukee battery powered fan that I run if I’m stopped for a while and the dog has to stay in the kennel (training days for example).
In the winter I can leave the dog in the kennel overnight if necessary with the windows all closed up and in the morning you can feel the heat when you open the kennel door. That’s with a light insulated cover over the gunner. The kennel cover is a 15 year old one from Avery I had for the old pet smart or whatever.
I just took the dog for the first trip in the truck this weekend. I have a cap with sliding windows and put her in a kennel inside it and she did fine. It was only around 50 degrees so just cracked the window a little, but I was wondering about when it's hot. It usually only gets into the 80s at most and then I could open the windows up more, but what about those rare days in the 90s when we might go on a trip? That fan is a good idea. Maybe I'll put one back there since I have the electrical outlet in case traffic slows or something. But is that enough? Should I put her on a wet towel or something too? I mean, when I was a kid we didn't always have A/C and remember having all the windows down on the freeway and that was alright.

Tdmva21

Reaction score
@dm6 on really hot days, and if we are not driving, I’ll throw a bag of ice in front of the kennel Door and let the fan blow over that or just put it in the kennel with him. That only really is necessary on dove hunts or summer training. I’ve never had a dog overheat with the window sliders open on both sides. The battery operated fans are great and the outlets in the newer beds are helpful.

Redfour5

Reaction score
We are just beginning our time camping with a pull behind trailer. I am curious how you transport your pups. I have a family of 5 in a mega cab and a growing German Shepard. Right now, she lays on the floor board in the back but I know this isn't going to be forever once she get bigger. I can also do without the hair. I am thinking of a Gunner Kennel and a Snugtop Truck cap....

Just curious what others do. I looked and couldn't find a post about this so if this is a repeat question, I apologize.
20210719_085028.jpg
They let us drive them wherever they want to go.

Users who are viewing this thread