Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you transport your dogs

UglyViking

Reaction score
If you are going to transport your dog in the bed with a topper, make you your exhaust system is in good condition. I worked EMS for 38 years. A few years back a good samaritan picked up a young couple hitch hiking 50 miles east of our town. They climbed in the back of the pickup with a cap and settled in for the ride to my town. By the time the good samaritan got to their destination (our town), they were both dead from carbon monoxide. Yeah, 50 miles. My dogs ride in the cab.
Thats pretty crazy. I've never heard of anyone having that issue with their dogs, I thought a lot of guys bought toppers specifically for hauling pups around? I'd assume as long as you have some airflow in there it would be good, which to be honest I think would be important either way.

Skooter76

Reaction score
Thats pretty crazy. I've never heard of anyone having that issue with their dogs, I thought a lot of guys bought toppers specifically for hauling pups around? I'd assume as long as you have some airflow in there it would be good, which to be honest I think would be important either way.
It does happen. Years ago I belonged to a retriever club. One lady had two highly trained, expensive field trial dogs she transported the same way. On an extended trip on died and the other nearly so.

UglyViking

Reaction score
It does happen. Years ago I belonged to a retriever club. One lady had two highly trained, expensive field trial dogs she transported the same way. On an extended trip on died and the other nearly so.
Oh yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't I just haven't heard of it. I would assume that exhaust leaks, or improperly positions exhaust exits would be the primary cause here. Perhaps a CO detector would be good for piece of mind?

Either way, frankly I'd prefer to avoid adding a cap anyway unless I have to. I like the idea of having it, and had one for a bit that I enjoyed, but I really like having the bed open. Is it a requirement that dogs in crates have the cap?

I really care about the dog obviously, and if it's gonna take a cap to make sure he's comfortable then I guess I'll make due. I'm just not sure if I want to commit to that fully, especially if I don't have to.

Skooter76

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't I just haven't heard of it. I would assume that exhaust leaks, or improperly positions exhaust exits would be the primary cause here. Perhaps a CO detector would be good for piece of mind?

Either way, frankly I'd prefer to avoid adding a cap anyway unless I have to. I like the idea of having it, and had one for a bit that I enjoyed, but I really like having the bed open. Is it a requirement that dogs in crates have the cap?

I really care about the dog obviously, and if it's gonna take a cap to make sure he's comfortable then I guess I'll make due. I'm just not sure if I want to commit to that fully, especially if I don't have to.
if you decide on a cap be sure to leave the side windows slightly open. I used to have caps on my trucks and after hunting trips to North Dakota, where most of the roads are gravel, my back would be coated with dust despite have everything closed up as tight as it would go. So CO could be sucked in just as easy. And be sure to strap the crates down tight. I would hate to have my dogs flying around back there if I was to be involved in a crash.

bwin

Reaction score
I'm thinking about just purchasing a gunner kennel and strapping it down in the back. I'm a little concerned about the weather though, heat, cold, rain/snow, etc.
I just came back from another trip with a gunner kennel under a cap. I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, you could put the dog in the trailer. Ideally in a gunner if you can strap it down safely (you may not be able to without mods). Each strap needs to hold like 1000 lbs.

Gunner has some good accessories- cover, mat and fan. That may be good enough for what you need in the bed without a cap. They are expensive though. I rigged up a $18 12 volt fan off Amazon and wired it to the positive and negative on my 7 pin. Worked great (well, the dog is alive after 4500 miles round trip).

UglyViking

Reaction score
I just came back from another trip with a gunner kennel under a cap. I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, you could put the dog in the trailer. Ideally in a gunner if you can strap it down safely (you may not be able to without mods). Each strap needs to hold like 1000 lbs.

Gunner has some good accessories- cover, mat and fan. That may be good enough for what you need in the bed without a cap. They are expensive though. I rigged up a $18 12 volt fan off Amazon and wired it to the positive and negative on my 7 pin. Worked great (well, the dog is alive after 4500 miles round trip).
I was thinking about putting the pups in the trailer in kennels but was a little concerned about fumes. I figured even if I opened the windows to allow air it would be more or less right behind the exhaust. I'm prob concerned about a non issue.

I may just try with the kennel in the bed and put a thermometer back there to monitor how hot/cold it gets.

garyh

Reaction score
I wasn't going to comment on this thread until I saw the picture of the Pug in the crate on the hitch carrier. I am sorry but I treat my dog as one of my children and would never consider transporting him anywhere but in the cab of my truck. I understand people transport them differently than I.
The only reason I am a member of this HD forum is due to my dog. We retired and didn't feel it was right to leave him behind in a kennel so we bought a toyhauler camper. (Never did I think I would be a camper person). After towing my 7500# toyhauler with the 1500, I decided I didn't like working the truck that hard so we have purchased a new CTD. Needless to say, my dog has been the motivation for us to spend 10's of thousands of dollars just to bring him along for the ride. No way is he riding anywhere that I can't pet him. LOL

Attachments

• fynne duck.jpg
    fynne duck.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 45

Nick

Reaction score
I have a Dog cover that covers front and back . I have a large metal link that I place around the head support attached to a harness by way of a metal chain . The Dog likes the secure feel of a harness around him and I don't have to worry about a dog projectile if an accident happens .

AMLumber

Reaction score
9817ef781bda9e2b68fd9159abd69e94.jpg

How my dog rolls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
My dogs are like my children. The reason I bought a mega cab lol. Had someone ask me how I like having a mega cab and my response was “well I don’t care, but my dogs love it!” Yes some people treat dogs as if they are dogs, and as long as they get the proper care, and good lives, that’s fine. I treat mine better than most, they are my companions and like I previously stated, my children. Love seeing everyone’s dogs! Keep em coming!

wjcook68

Reaction score
Hoss rode in the cab when he was smaller but the 13 month old 150 pound toddler is getting too big. Lol.
I was thinking of getting a truck cap but the carbon monoxide issues I read about in this thread makes me nervous. I am not sure the Gunner Kennel would be big enough.

IMG_2057 (2).PNG

Nick

Reaction score
Just get a cap with side windows .

jetrinka

Reaction score
<<<<<Our Corgi, Gus, prefers the front seat. If he gets booted to the rear seat because my wife takes the front he gets very indignant. Our other dog rides in the back seat. Gus doesn't feel like he should have to ride in peasant class.....

CdnHO

Reaction score
My border collies ride in the cheap seats on the flat fold floor. Both in crates and on hammock style protection sling to protect the seats.

dm6

Reaction score
I noticed that many people here let their dogs ride in the back seat. That does look like a great setup back there, especially on the fold flat floor. You all must never have passengers riding in the back seat then if the dogs take it up. How about you guys that have 4 or 5 people riding in the truck?

Bearman95

Reaction score
Nobody but me and my dogs, if people ride with me they can ride the back! The fold flat for is a great set up, with a hammock.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I noticed that many people here let their dogs ride in the back seat. That does look like a great setup back there, especially on the fold flat floor. You all must never have passengers riding in the back seat then if the dogs take it up. How about you guys that have 4 or 5 people riding in the truck?

<<<<Gus, the co pilot Corgi, makes additional passengers ride in the bed. They are leashed up so they can’t jump out of course

Users who are viewing this thread