Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you guys haul bikes?

dm6

Reaction score
I am just curious how you guys load your bikes, especially when there is other stuff in the bed. I went on the first camping trip with the new truck last weekend and I put 3 bikes upside down (took the seats off so they sat on the back wheel and handlebars) and laid them along one side of the truck from front to rear. I put a strap through the frame from the front right cleat to the left front cleat and they were pretty stable. I had room for the cooler, grill, and a few other large things on the other side. I did not have a tonneau cover on that time but have a BakFlip coming so if I do it again that way, the whole cover would have to be open. Maybe I can put all the gear up front under the cover that will be partly open (but not fully open against the window) and see if the bikes fit sideways against the back. Anyways, I am still just trying to figure out storage and loading solutions since this is new to me so would love to hear how you guys load the bikes, both for trips like this with other stuff, and also for quick trips to a bike trail when you only have bikes in the back. Thanks.

Wobly

Reaction score
When I worked at a bike shop, I was talking to the manager about getting a bike rack to transport our mountain bikes. He walked me over to the rack and said "Get two of these and a 2x4". I angled them a bit so the handlebars had a little more room, but the set up works well. If you have disk brakes, then make sure you put a shim in the caliper to keep the pads in place.
https://www.amazon.com/MBP-Alloy-Re...t=&hvlocphy=9051968&hvtargid=pla-630189804178

dm6

Reaction score
When I worked at a bike shop, I was talking to the manager about getting a bike rack to transport our mountain bikes. He walked me over to the rack and said "Get two of these and a 2x4". I angled them a bit so the handlebars had a little more room, but the set up works well. If you have disk brakes, then make sure you put a shim in the caliper to keep the pads in place.
https://www.amazon.com/MBP-Alloy-Re...t=&hvlocphy=9051968&hvtargid=pla-630189804178
That is a good idea, however two of the three bikes (one 20" and one 26") do not have the quick release front wheel so I don't know how much of a hassle that will be to remove the wheel each time.

PGHChris81

Reaction score
This is what I have. Works well and folds back to open the tailgate.

3CN071105_2.jpg

dm6

Reaction score
This is what I have. Works well and folds back to open the tailgate.

3CN071105_2.jpg
I forgot to mention, I need something for hauling them in the bed for when I am towing a trailer. But I actually do have a receiver mount bike rack from before that I can use for when I am not towing a trailer. I forgot about that!

PGHChris81

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, I need something for hauling them in the bed for when I am towing a trailer. But I actually do have a receiver mount bike rack from before that I can use for when I am not towing a trailer. I forgot about that!
Is it possible to get a receiver hitch on that trailer?

dm6

Reaction score
Is it possible to get a receiver hitch on that trailer?
I don't think so, it's just a little trailer. However, someday when I upgrade to a bigger travel trailer, it would probably make the most sense to mount them on the back of it.

mcarey

Reaction score
I have a yakima hold-up hitch rack. Works great on the truck and the 4Runner.

dgrover75

Reaction score
+1 for bike pad...... this is a pic from the current truck but RAM will be the same whenever it arrives. With a 6.5' bed, you can get 5-6 bikes across (we have 4), and you'll notice my BAKflip cover is in the front open lock position (folded but not standing). this gives enough room in the front of the bed to carry all your stuff. We lived in CO and used this set up all the time; plus have done this for week+ vacations to MOAB. Plenty of space for bikes and gear in bed; cover keeps gear from flying out vertically, and bike tires keep gear from moving rearward. Plus they are easy to install/uninstall whenever you're going to ride. Bikes strap down with velcro and don't move even on tough 4x4 trails getting you to bike trailheads. I have owned car/SUV mounted Yakima roof racks, as well as Kuat hitch racks and the simple tailgate pad is heads and tails easier to live with and more secure.
IMG_1525 (2).JPG

BikePilot

Reaction score
Recon rack. They are awesome, go in the hitch, and hold 6 bikes. They’ll take nearly any bike and loading/unloading is a snap. Great for shuttling Dh runs.

revjvegas

Reaction score
Kuat. It'll tilt forward enough that I can get to stuff in the back if needed. They also have a pivot attachment (which is on back-order) that I'll add later so the whole thing will just swing out of the way.

1627618996883.png

dm6

Reaction score
+1 for bike pad...... this is a pic from the current truck but RAM will be the same whenever it arrives. With a 6.5' bed, you can get 5-6 bikes across (we have 4), and you'll notice my BAKflip cover is in the front open lock position (folded but not standing). this gives enough room in the front of the bed to carry all your stuff. We lived in CO and used this set up all the time; plus have done this for week+ vacations to MOAB. Plenty of space for bikes and gear in bed; cover keeps gear from flying out vertically, and bike tires keep gear from moving rearward. Plus they are easy to install/uninstall whenever you're going to ride. Bikes strap down with velcro and don't move even on tough 4x4 trails getting you to bike trailheads. I have owned car/SUV mounted Yakima roof racks, as well as Kuat hitch racks and the simple tailgate pad is heads and tails easier to live with and more secure.
View attachment 19998
These pads might be the way to go for me. So you just velcro the bike to the pad where it rests on it and it stays still, or do you have to secure the rear wheels as well? The rack and rails above the bed look nice, but those are a little pricey for as little as I would use it. Maybe this will be more of a temporary solution until I can mount bikes to a new trailer. Any pad recommendation, or are they all pretty similar?

Squatch

Reaction score
These pads might be the way to go for me. So you just velcro the bike to the pad where it rests on it and it stays still, or do you have to secure the rear wheels as well? The rack and rails above the bed look nice, but those are a little pricey for as little as I would use it. Maybe this will be more of a temporary solution until I can mount bikes to a new trailer. Any pad recommendation, or are they all pretty similar?
Dakine Pickup Pad DLX Curve... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084TNJH1P?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

just some Velcro straps for the bike, disk brakes facing out, nothing to do with back wheels. I bought the curved one above due to the shape of our tailgates.

relbus

Reaction score
Zero experience with them…but I would think a tailgate cover/bike rack hauler thing as pictured above would introduce a **** load of scratches. Am I wrong ?

Squatch

Reaction score
Zero experience with them…but I would think a tailgate cover/bike rack hauler thing as pictured above would introduce a **** load of scratches. Am I wrong ?
As of yet, my dakine has not, but no doubt dirt, rubbing canvas and time will likely result in some rough paint. It’s a truck, I don’t think there is much I can do, if used like a truck she’s gonna get some character over time. Every car I’ve had I have tried to protect it and keep it real nice, wax, parking in the back of the lot, but careless people seem to always find it, scratches, rock chips and dings come out of nowhere, it’s just inevitable.

dgrover75

Reaction score
Agree that dirt and grime will get between pad and truck. However, I've been using my "Softride" brand pad since 2015 and have not had any issues with scratches. That said, when we are done traveling/using the bikes the pad gets folded and put on a shelf in my garage. I also take a wet rag and make sure the tailgate and pad are free of dirt/dust before I sinch it down prior to each use. Doesnt take more than 90 sec to keep dirt away for most weekend day rides. When using on vacation for week or more.....well its a truck .....luckily I still dont have scratches. I do keep truck pretty well waxed so in my own mind I think that helps .

Users who are viewing this thread